Urgent Video… This needs to get upstairs!

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Maybe MM should make the players watch this video.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's going on 5 plus years now that poor tackling technique has been and issue for the team in general. Why is such a seemingly obvious, fundamental, flaw not being remedied? MM has mentioned it on multiple occasions so they are not blind to the issue but results are not really showing on the field. Where is the disconnect and how can that be remedied?

Pete Carroll's "Hawk Tackling" video has been widely heralded for its informativeness and the tackling drills outlined in it. He sent copies to every team, out players should study the video, it's stupidly foolish to ignore good information.
However, as Carroll notes in the intro to the video (watch here):

"It's a system that we've been teaching and utilizing for the past four years with the Seahawks and since our days at USC. To break it down, our tackling system features shoulder tackling and a renewed emphasis to take the head out of tackling. We've found our style to be successful in the NFL and college, and we believe it can be employed on all levels."

Carroll's coaching breaks down into sections, complete with supporting video.

UPDATE: The Legendary John Madden threw his support behind the Carroll innovations, telling Seahawks.com that "The video is excellent. We've been looking for something like that for a long time. One of the things the Commissioner is trying to do is take the head out of football when it comes to tackling, not using the head for contact.

"So we're working on that and the question was: OK, if we take the head out, what do we put in? And Pete came up with this video. It's not only good, it's great. When I first looked at it, it was beyond what I thought it could have been and it was as close to perfect as it could be.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was one moment that really sticks out in my mind that really tells you the difference between our D and the Hawks D.

3rd and 1 early in the game. Quick pass to the flat to Harvin. Hawk is in position, he is the only one who can possibly stop the play short. Instead, he waits back and concedes the first. Can you imagine any defender on Seattle's defense doing that?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
There was one moment that really sticks out in my mind that really tells you the difference between our D and the Hawks D.

3rd and 1 early in the game. Quick pass to the flat to Harvin. Hawk is in position, he is the only one who can possibly stop the play short. Instead, he waits back and concedes the first. Can you imagine any defender on Seattle's defense doing that?

I recall that and literally said, wtf are you stopping for

H

HardRightEdge

I recall that and literally said, wtf are you stopping for
So...my post gets deleted and you send me a warning for using "d*ck" in place of "duck" (which was quite clever if I do say so myself), yet you use the mundanely offensive "wtf", the meaning of which is clear to anybody. Sheesh.

In any event, the answer to your question is that Hawk evidently has been conditioned to seeing his teammates take bad angles, overrun plays and miss tackles. Somebody has to lay back or Harvin cuts it back inside for the long gainer.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

My 6th grade son said the same thing.

Sad thing is this: Hawk is our BETTER starting ILB.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So...my post gets deleted and you send me a warning for using "d*ck" in place of "duck" (which was quite clever if I do say so myself), yet you use the mundanely offensive "wtf", the meaning of which is clear to anybody.
Good points.
What does the F mean in WTF? Everybody knows. But it's allowed?
I always thought the F word was worse than the D word, and in both cases you mentioned, neither was actually "said" but was inferred to.
Consistency?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Good points.
What does the F mean in WTF? Everybody knows. But it's allowed?
I always thought the F word was worse than the D word, and in both cases you mentioned, neither was actually "said" but was inferred to.
Consistency?

After he explained I edited to have it say duck and restored it

DarkHelmet

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I winced at that play, too. Yes, a Seahawks LB would have charged the play and probably prevented the first down. But Hawk isn't fast enough to contain Harvin. (Hardly anybody is fast enough to contain Harvin.) If Hawk goes for the short stop and misses Harvin goes for many, many yards. The sad fact is that we don't have any ILB who are fast enough to stop that play short of the first down.

OP
OP
ThePerfectBeard

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score

So remember this play. Absolutely sums up our run defense. The other thing I've been calling for is more press coverage. We play too soft on the line, but that's getting better.

D

Deleted member 6794

So remember this play. Absolutely sums up our run defense. The other thing I've been calling for is more press coverage. We play too soft on the line, but that's getting better.

I thought it was kind of strange that Tramon Williams told the Journal Sentinel during an interview that the coaches allow the corners to decide whether to play press coverage or off the receiver.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So...my post gets deleted and you send me a warning for using "d*ck" in place of "duck" (which was quite clever if I do say so myself), yet you use the mundanely offensive "wtf", the meaning of which is clear to anybody. Sheesh.

In any event, the answer to your question is that Hawk evidently has been conditioned to seeing his teammates take bad angles, overrun plays and miss tackles. Somebody has to lay back or Harvin cuts it back inside for the long gainer.

The problem to me is that the situation doesn't call for playing it conservatively. If it's 2nd and 10, no issues with him waiting back. If it's 3rd and 1, you need to try to make a play.

I understand Harvin is very athletic and there's a chance you whiff on the play, but if you don't have a ILB that can at least take a shot at him and perhaps slow him down for the rest of the pursuit to get there, you have a serious talent deficiency at ILB.

I bet the Desmond Bishop of 3-4 years ago goes for that tackle. A lot of our defensive problems start inside and we did nothing in the offseason to try to upgrade.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I winced at that play, too. Yes, a Seahawks LB would have charged the play and probably prevented the first down. But Hawk isn't fast enough to contain Harvin. (Hardly anybody is fast enough to contain Harvin.) If Hawk goes for the short stop and misses Harvin goes for many, many yards. The sad fact is that we don't have any ILB who are fast enough to stop that play short of the first down.
the fact is nobody has a linebacker fast enough to catch Harvin once he's running down field. You have to stop him before he gets a head of steam.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand Harvin is very athletic and there's a chance you whiff on the play, but if you don't have a ILB that can at least take a shot at him and perhaps slow him down for the rest of the pursuit to get there, you have a serious talent deficiency at ILB.

Well, there's no denying the Packers have a serious talent deficiency at ILB.

H

HardRightEdge

Well, there's no denying the Packers have a serious talent deficiency at ILB.
Yeah, I get sad watching Bobby Wagner. While a sub-4.5 runner at the Combine and a guy who showed a willingness to step up and smack people, he was regarded by many as too small at 6' even. Seattle "reached" in the second round and got a winner. He does not get enough credit for the performance of that defense.

However, it seems a bit out of proportion to focus on Hawk in particular, or one particular play. The tackling across the defense was bad. I think if one tried to count the number of missed leg and ankle tackles one would run out of fingers and toes.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

After you explained it, and called me out on it, I adjusted it---

So your welcome for understanding..

Next time dont be so "clever" then maybe things like this won't happen again

shessh

H

HardRightEdge

Nah, I will just take your hide along with Franks

Hows that for being clever? ;)
You know what? I don't cotton to anybody saying they're going to "take my hide", even if it is a virtual hide. You're being a d*ck, and not the kind that quacks.

So you have two choices: suspend yourself or suspend me.

You need me a lot more than I need you.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I see... You can be a smart ***, but when I do it, you get pissed

And why would you be banned? You did nothing wrong.

Sorry you dont/didnt like my poor attempt at humor

H

HardRightEdge

I see... You can be a smart ***, but when I do it, you get pissed

And why would you be banned? You did nothing wrong.

Sorry you dont/didnt like my poor attempt at humor
Perhaps surprisingly, I respect that answer.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get it are they making fun of AJ Hawk by calling it a Hawk tackle? I dont think hawk has ever made a Hawk tackle!