TT, you did great tonight.

ChicagoPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even after making me suffer through free agency while the defending Super Bowl champs were drastically improving their roster, you went out and got us three potential studs. I have a gut feeling this will be a draft to remember.

Kevin King has all the tools to be great and has a very sharp mind to go along with the physical.

Josh Jones is just a monster. Ball hawk. Strong, fast, mean, beast.

Montravius Adams constantly creates havoc in the middle with great footwork and an excellent spin move.

Our secondary is finally solid. Our pass rush is getting better. We finally have reason to be optimistic this off season.

Go Pack Go!

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm loving the first two picks, I know nothing of the last pick. I'm really looking forward to see how this all rounds out.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even after making me suffer through free agency while the defending Super Bowl champs were drastically improving their roster, you went out and got us three potential studs. I have a gut feeling this will be a draft to remember.

Kevin King has all the tools to be great and has a very sharp mind to go along with the physical.

Josh Jones is just a monster. Ball hawk. Strong, fast, mean, beast.

Montravius Adams constantly creates havoc in the middle with great footwork and an excellent spin move.

Our secondary is finally solid. Our pass rush is getting better. We finally have reason to be optimistic this off season.

Go Pack Go!

Pass rush is getting better? Um, how? That being said, I'd like to see GB draft Beigel with the#134 pick in round 4. With the #108 pick there are lots and lots of possibilities.

Ted Thompson's Mind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thank you very much. Gonna celebrate with a bowl of my favorite cereal Filmroom Toast Crunch and then back at it LOL. Just kidding though it's Frankenberry.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tonight TT confirmed to me that he and Capers aren't getting it done on defense and he knows it, by having to use his top 3 picks on Defense. Sure, great, he drafted 3 more defensive prospects and I hope they do great and improve a pathetic 2016 defense. But.......something isn't right.

How many teams have used their top 2 picks in the draft 2 out of 3 years in a row on the secondary? Their top pick on the secondary 3 out of 4 years? How many teams have used their first pick in 6 consecutive drafts on Defense? If that isn't bad enough, the Packers over the last 6 drafts have gone defense on their first 3 picks 13 out of 18 times. When do we start seeing the results of all these draft resources being spent on the defense? An even scarier question, when do we see the corresponding results of not spending resources on the offense?

Call it what you want, "improving", a "repeat draft", an "admission of failure", no other team has pumped these kinds of resources into the defense over the last 6 years and for what? The crap we saw last year? Admittedly, I probably should say 5 years, since the 3 new guys haven't played a snap. But by drafting them, TT is basically saying "yup, I haven't fixed it yet."

Blame TT for bad drafts and not using other resources to fix defensive issues and/or Capers for poor coaching, but with the kind of draft resources the Packers have spent on the defense over the last 6 years, if it doesn't show a lot of improvement in 2017, both TT and Capers should be out the door.

Last edited:

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unfortunately he has done nothing to improve the defense THIS YEAR. Which means the defense will still suck. Those picks will do very little to improve this years defense.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Unfortunately he has done nothing to improve the defense THIS YEAR. Which means the defense will still suck. Those picks will do very little to improve this years defense.

Sadly, I agree that you will be correct. So what do you do, wait another year for those 13 (less with departures) players you picked with your first 3 picks over 6 years to develop? It's one thing to whiff a few times on draft picks, but when you compound that by not trying to fix it via other ways to acquire players, something isn't right. You can only allow TT up to bat so many times to keep swinging and missing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonight TT proved to me that he and Capers aren't getting it done on defense and he knows it, by having to use his top 3 picks on Defense. Sure, great, he drafted 3 more defensive prospects and I hope they do great and improve a pathetic 2016 defense. But.......something isn't right.

How many teams have used their top 2 picks in the draft 2 out of 3 years in a row on the secondary? Their top pick on the secondary 3 out of 4 years? How many teams have used their first pick in 6 consecutive drafts on Defense? If that isn't bad enough, the Packers over the last 6 drafts have gone defense on their first 3 picks 13 out of 18 times. When do we start seeing the results of all these draft resources being spent on the defense? An even scarier question, when do we see the corresponding results of not spending resources on the offense?

Call it what you want, "improving", a "repeat draft", an "admission of failure", no other team has pumped these kinds of resources into the defense over the last 6 years and for what? The crap we saw last year? Admittedly, I probably should say 5 years, since the 3 new guys haven't played a snap.

Blame TT for bad drafts and not using other resources to fix defensive issues and/or Capers for poor coaching, but with the kind of draft resources the Packers have spent on the defense over the last 6 years, if it doesn't show a lot of improvement in 2017, both TT and Capers should be out the door.
because clearly the offense has been screaming for attention all these years. Especially compared to the defense and to the the rest of the league? Please people, step back. Look at things for what they are in the entirety of the picture instead of focusing in on what you want to prove a point. Seriously, do you believe high picks in the past 5 drafts needed to be put towards the offense?

If he had people would be screaming even louder the other way. 2 years ago, our defense carried our offense for a good part of that year, how soon we forget. Our offense was horrible, Rodgers was in a funk, Adams needed to be cut, Cobb needed to be traded (still does according to some) on and on. We had a up and coming secondary and good defense. Go forward 1 year. The same exact players on offense with the addition of a TE figured it out and were lighting up the league again and injuries decimated the defense. it's one year later and now those people are in love with all the offense and want to cut and gut and get rid of all the defense because they all suck. How soon they forgot how wrong they were just the year before.

Sure there are aging players on offense, but if we can't move the damn ball with Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Bennett, Kendricks, Montgomery and our offensive line even minus Lang, we have serious ****ing issues and it's not because they don't have the players.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont get the pessimism either. Ofcourse our first rounders were gonna be defense in all these drafts, our offense has never been a problem for long Stretches.

Tonight TT confirmed to me that he and Capers aren't getting it done on defense and he knows it, by having to use his top 3 picks on Defense. Sure, great, he drafted 3 more defensive prospects and I hope they do great and improve a pathetic 2016 defense. But.......something isn't right.

Call it what you want, "improving", a "repeat draft", an "admission of failure", no other team has pumped these kinds of resources into the defense over the last 6 years and for what? The crap we saw last year? Admittedly, I probably should say 5 years, since the 3 new guys haven't played a snap. But by drafting them, TT is basically saying "yup, I haven't fixed it yet."

Seriously, how are you even asking this? Maybe other teams have not lost 4 quality corners over the span of 3 years. Plus our Safety position stunk prior to these 3 years. The secondary is just too important today, and I for one am happy Ted is not too proud to invest heavily this draft in the same way he did 2 years ago. You did not want him to improve the second to worst pass defense in the league? King is gonna be servicable, so is House and either Randall or Rollins will definitely step their game up. Instant upgrade to our Superbowl Chances

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many teams have used their first pick in 6 consecutive drafts on Defense? If that isn't bad enough, the Packers over the last 6 drafts have gone defense on their first 3 picks 13 out of 18 times. When do we start seeing the results of all these draft resources being spent on the defense? An even scarier question, when do we see the corresponding results of not spending resources on the offense?

Doing the same thing over and over again yet expecting a different outcome. Actually I'm encouraged that our #1 pick did not miss his entire senior season and the combine with a chronic back injury..... Maybe Ted IS learning

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sure there are aging players on offense, but if we can't move the damn ball with Rodgers, Jordy, Cobb, Adams, Bennett, Kendricks, Montgomery and our offensive line even minus Lang, we have serious ******* issues and it's not because they don't have the players.

Big picture. Our offense is anchored by a FHOF QB, without him, it would be average at best. Using the "excuse" that our offense has been great because of him and therefore shouldn't need any draft resources is fine but a bit shortsighted. Also, what does that say for the defense that HAS been getting those resources? That it is ok to suck because we have AR to bail you out most of the time?

I'm not saying the Packers suck, you nailed it, their offense has been awesome with AR. But with the amount of draft capital that has been spent on the defense, collectively it should be top 10 by now. Also remember that TT actually supplemented the offense this year by signing a top FA TE, something he didn't do on defense and hasn't done since he signed Peppers.

Sky King

Reaction score
We've had a lot of posters voice strong opinions that the defense lacked talent last season, especially in the defensive backfield. Thompson has addressed defense during this current draft process. It seems that is exactly what many of us wanted him to do. He is. Complaints about this draft seem premature to me by about 2-3 years, especially since it's not even over yet.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I dont get the pessimism either. Ofcourse our first rounders were gonna be defense in all these drafts, our offense has never been a problem for long Stretches.

Did you watch the 2016 defense and TT's off season to address it? It's one thing to be optimistic, but not understanding how people can be "pessimistic" about this defense is really discounting facts.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We've had a lot of posters voice strong opinions that the defense lacked talent last season, especially in the defensive backfield. Thompson has addressed defense during this current draft process. It seems that is exactly what many of us wanted him to do. He is. Complaints about this draft seem premature to me by about 2-3 years, especially since it's not even over yet.

I'm not necessarily complaining about the draft, but pointing out what it proved to me. TT admitted he hasn't fixed the defense despite all of the draft resources he pumped into it over 5 years. Watching what happened between the end of the season and the draft gave me the impression that TT had enough faith in his current group by not making any major FA moves to improve it. So what does he do? Steps up to the podium and takes 3 more swings in a row at it. This is more about the big picture for me and where it could head.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Complaints about this draft seem premature to me by about 2-3 years, especially since it's not even over yet.

You nailed, we won't know if this was a good draft for 2-3 years. Absolutely nothing has been done to improve the defense this year. Might they be slightly better? Sure. But the need to be significantly better and that has not happened.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the 2016 defense and TT's off season to address it? It's one thing to be optimistic, but not understanding how people can be "pessimistic" about this defense is really discounting facts.

Sure, the defense is not going to be top calibre in 2017 and I know that. But my comment was more referred to the point you made that TT is going secondary early and again. And sure, it would be a worrying trend if we would be in a similar position on drafting secondary help next year, but for now cant we be happy that he is adressing our weakest link we have on our team so agressively? Id like to add that I am not a TT fan at all, but given the outflow of secondary talent we had the past seasons I just dont understand how you feel uneasy with the amount of high secondary picks we had.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Sure, the defense is not going to be top calibre in 2017 and I know that. But my comment was more referred to the point you made that TT is going secondary early and again. And sure, it would be a worrying trend if we would be in a similar position on drafting secondary help next year, but for now cant we be happy that he is adressing our weakest link we have on our team so agressively? Id like to add that I am not a TT fan at all, but given the outflow of secondary talent we had the past seasons I just dont understand how you feel uneasy with the amount of high secondary picks we had.

Like I said, I am not unhappy with the draft results, more what those results confirmed in my head. TT continues to try and fix this defense through the draft and using its top resources in the draft to try. Meanwhile he is bypassing other ways to accomplish that and I don't consider signing House or Francois enough to fix the 2016 defense, nor do I think yesterday's 3 players will be enough either.

So if you owned the Packers, how many times do you let TT keep trying to fix the secondary with his mode of operation, as well as the entire defense, before you say enough is enough?

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, I am not unhappy with the draft results, more what those results confirmed in my head. TT continues to try and fix this defense through the draft and using its top resources in the draft to try. Meanwhile he is bypassing other ways to accomplish that and I don't consider signing House or Francois enough to fix the 2016 defense, nor do I think yesterday's 3 players will be enough either.

So if you owned the Packers, how many times do you let TT keep trying to fix the secondary with his mode of operation, as well as the entire defense, before you say enough is enough?

Well I agree that TT has to get more active in FA, which option was there for the pack to be had this offseason?

Sky King

Reaction score
Prior to the draft I was leaning towards the pass rush as TT's potential target during this draft. Since he had not gone after any free-agent DBs I took it as an indication that he still had faith in his stable of DBs. Apparently, I was wrong about the order of priorities, although he still may have some faith in the further development of the guys he drafted two years ago. The two newest guys are replacements for Hyde and Dorleant for sure and there may be even more replacements to come. The starters and their backups for 2017 have yet to be decided and I look forward to enjoying the competitive process that will determine that.

I was also truly disappointed in how badly the defensive backfield had performed last season and also posted strong words to that effect both during and after the season. But I'm encouraged that TT has chosen to correct that problem by adding speed, size and a bonafide hitter to the next roster of DBs. Hopefully, both the long and short-terms will be addressed more successfully than they had been last season. However, for me it's now a brand new season that's underway and I'm not going to let any past failures spoil the upcoming regular season and the playoffs before they even start playing any games that count.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The same options available to the other 31 teams in the NFL.
I meant which CB would you have liked the Packers to have 'realistically' targeted in FA. Sure there were some options, but for top dollar and for most of them I can not say with certainty that rhey would produce better then King will.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Some fans will never be satisified and I understand that. I thought we should of gotten a top tier RB but after it all played out at least TT got guys that look and fit the part. I am happy about that.

We needed to get more athletic in the middle of the field and we did that with Jones who I think is the best pick of the draft so far. King has all the tools to be a Richard Sherman type corner or maybe even better. Adams is a 300 pounder who runs 4.8. There is a lot to work with here.

I think we should be pretty happy and see how the rest plays out. Today the players I like are Josh Malone, Marlon Mack and Carl Lawson.

Well see what happens.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting so far. The way it's set up, good luck guessing where it would go. Actually, imo, the whole draft has been a little odd.

Sky King

Reaction score
Interesting so far. The way it's set up, good luck guessing where it would go. Actually, imo, the whole draft has been a little odd.
No kidding. It wouldn't be as big of a surprise to see both a P and LS get drafted this year just because I don't expect it. I had TT's priorities all wrong leading up to Thursday. Might as well keep the momentum going.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ted keeps drafting minions on defense. That defense doesn't have leaders. That's why he keeps drafting defensive players and the defense keeps getting worse and worse. It's been 7 years since they last had a solid defense

Members online

Latest posts