TT is not that bad

spardo62

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
I don't think TT has had enough time on the job to say either way that he's great or terrible. I DON'T think (as some have stated) that he's going to drop the Packers back into the dark ages like the 1970's and 80's. I don't PRAISE TT, OR want him run out of town yet. He hasn't had a chance to prove either way yet, if you look at it honestly. Lets see how this season goes, and then you have a little more to judge him on. Ron Wolf didn't take the Packers to the Super Bowl in HIS first 2 years, did he? And HE had some big misses too! Back then as Packer fans, we were all so stoked that the Packers just made the PLAYOFFS, let alone Super Bowl!
Give the guy a chance for crying out loud!!!

AMEN :!:

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
spardo62 said:
cheesey said:
I don't think TT has had enough time on the job to say either way that he's great or terrible. I DON'T think (as some have stated) that he's going to drop the Packers back into the dark ages like the 1970's and 80's. I don't PRAISE TT, OR want him run out of town yet. He hasn't had a chance to prove either way yet, if you look at it honestly. Lets see how this season goes, and then you have a little more to judge him on. Ron Wolf didn't take the Packers to the Super Bowl in HIS first 2 years, did he? And HE had some big misses too! Back then as Packer fans, we were all so stoked that the Packers just made the PLAYOFFS, let alone Super Bowl!

I agree but will also add a little praise.

This team lacked quality players on both sides of the ball, special teamers, and depth everywhere. The team was not financially in a good spot when he got here and nobody was ranting or raving about the quality of talent available in the '05 draft.

THis situation didn't START with Ted. It was here before him. Look at our roster. Where are all the draft picks and FA's from '02 and '03 that should have been been quality starters and contributers in '05?

A little secret. There aint many. Barnett, Driver and a couple others. We took a little vacation there in obtaining talent for a couple of years.

But Geez Ted. This should be easy enough to fix.

What he has done to strenghen the "D", both in quality starters and depth, to help improve the special teams, adding athletic guys that will earn spots as starters or roll players down the road, should be applauded.

The only mistake I see is not having gotten this ball rolling about three years ago. Cause from where I'm sitting if we don't quite get there this year look out in '07.

I see a team that will be improving throughout the year. The defense playing as a unit and the offensing coming together more and more as the year goes on.

AND NEXT YEAR, only needing two or three pieces to complete the puzzle.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
spardo62 said:
cheesey said:

I agree but will also add a little praise.

This team lacked quality players on both sides of the ball, special teamers, and depth everywhere. The team was not financially in a good spot when he got here and nobody was ranting or raving about the quality of talent available in the '05 draft.

THis situation didn't START with Ted. It was here before him. Look at our roster. Where are all the draft picks and FA's from '02 and '03 that should have been been quality starters and contributers in '05?

A little secret. There aint many. Barnett, Driver and a couple others. We took a little vacation there in obtaining talent for a couple of years.

But Geez Ted. This should be easy enough to fix.

What he has done to strenghen the "D", both in quality starters and depth, to help improve the special teams, adding athletic guys that will earn spots as starters or roll players down the road, should be applauded.

The only mistake I see is not having gotten this ball rolling about three years ago. Cause from where I'm sitting if we don't quite get there this year look out in '07.

I see a team that will be improving throughout the year. The defense playing as a unit and the offensing coming together more and more as the year goes on.

AND NEXT YEAR, only needing two or three pieces to complete the puzzle.

I agree warhawk....but the thing is this team is only better on paper SO FAR. I think we will be much improved but I was wrong once before in my life :wink: Hawk COULD be Bosworth. Woodson COULD drop off. Collins COULD be a one year wonder etc..... Do I believe this?? No way.......but Bos was a can't miss etc..

Until these guys take the field and prove it. We are really no better off than last year. My guess is that that should be around Sept 10th!

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Nice post, but one question..

Poppinga in college started EVERY game in 2003 and 2004, played in every game in 2002 and started in 2 of those...2001 played in every game...

So where does his injury prone reference come from??

I remember last year at draft time that Poppinga was passed on by a few teams because he suffers from Chronic Back problems.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depack,
The players we have picked up are going to have to perform on the field but at least we have, on paper for now, improved. The past few years we have not done much on paper or otherwise to be able to say that.

Most of these guys, other than Hawk, have shown they can play at a level that would greatly improve their postition. Even Manuel's play for the lions share of last years regular season is encouraging.

The point of my post is that if you believe that to be a championship team you need a mix of quality players, roll and situational players, special teams guys, and depth, then you can see what TT has been faced with.

I would imagine that any GM that needs to not only upgrade the quality players in certain positions but also fortify the backup and depth situation on the team may not make moves that thrills all the fans.

the more ideal situation would be for a team that needs only two or three positions upgraded to make a run and the GM can go out and concentrate on doing that.

Unfortunately thats not where the Packers were at when TT got here.

The past few years we have had many guys that should not have had a chance to be on the roster. Not only will there be a lot of competition for starting positions this year but serious competition for some pretty darn good football players to even make the cut.

And that, to me, is encouraging and showing me we are headed where we want to go.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hawk....I agree....I think Sherman and TT last year, to an extent, tried to salvage something that needed to be retooled. Being 10-6 or 12-4 for so many years makes it tough to retool the team. Sometimes you have that sense of "we are right there" with records like those, even though it may really be false sense. 4-12 is never a GOOD thing, but at least it gave TT carte blanche to turn over the roster and make the changes he thought were necessary for the long run.

Hopefully he made the right changes. I believe he did but...........

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
EVERY team is a "BUT" right now. No one KNOWS who will win, and who will tank. No matter what teams LOOKS good going in, is no guarentee THEY will win the Super Bowl. Last year, i thought for SURE the Colts were going to win it. They didn't even make it to the SB. No one knows for certain. Thats why they play the season.
I know it's a dream, but i WANT the Packers to win it all this year. The cards are stacked against them, but we will see!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
EVERY team is a "BUT" right now. No one KNOWS who will win, and who will tank. No matter what teams LOOKS good going in, is no guarentee THEY will win the Super Bowl. Last year, i thought for SURE the Colts were going to win it. They didn't even make it to the SB. No one knows for certain. Thats why they play the season.
I know it's a dream, but i WANT the Packers to win it all this year. The cards are stacked against them, but we will see!

such a great post as usual cheesey. thats what kills me about the naysayers....they are so ready to settle into losing that they want to downgrade everything we have. EVERY TEAM IS A "BUT" RIGHT NOW.
to quote ol herm. thats why we play the game. and every player is a season away from stardom. who knows who will step up... and start performing beyond expectations. what happened last year and the year before that is the past. and every nfl player with a good head on his shoulders(TT is stockin up with this kind) knows that. and thats not freakin rose colored glasses... thats just the truth. We could have another crappy 4-12 season... but there is plenty of reason to believe we will have a very successful season this year... any one want to make a wager, Pack66, depack, other haters? :D

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
such a great post as usual cheesey. thats what kills me about the naysayers....they are so ready to settle into losing that they want to downgrade everything we have. EVERY TEAM IS A "BUT" RIGHT NOW.
to quote ol herm. thats why we play the game. and every player is a season away from stardom. who knows who will step up... and start performing beyond expectations. what happened last year and the year before that is the past. and every nfl player with a good head on his shoulders(TT is stockin up with this kind) knows that. and thats not freakin rose colored glasses... thats just the truth. We could have another crappy 4-12 season... but there is plenty of reason to believe we will have a very successful season this year... any one want to make a wager, Pack66, depack, other haters? :D

This is exactly the way **** starts on this board. If you want to re-read my post and show me where the hate is, feel free. I'll be waiting.

Members online

Latest posts