Trade up for Isiah Simmons?

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Isiah Simmons out of Clemson is a difference maker, an immediate upgrade over the current LB corp and would make the Packers secondary and defense more dynamic. Thoughts?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell yeah!! But it wont happen. Our whole draft may not be enough to get where he is going.

But . . . Miles Jack was supposed to be top 10 and went in the 2nd. Although anything is possible, this is a little too long of a possibiblity.

Reaction score
I think Isiah Simmons out of Clemson is a difference maker, an immediate upgrade over the current LB corp and would make the Packers secondary and defense more dynamic. Thoughts?
I suppose for me it's all about cost/benefit. I generally don't like the idea of trading away our future to reach except maybe at the QB position and if it's for a presumed starter. I'm not opposed to trading picks or moving around the board, but we are talking about a massive reach up the board here and it would have to be just the perfect deal in our favor. About the only way that I see this in the realm of possibility is if he slipped an additional 5+ spots due to some anomoly (highly unlikely) and we got a very fair deal (like we did with Savage last year).

That said, I love his being well versed at a variety of positions. It's the same reason I like Laviska Shenault in that day 2 area

Last edited:

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that's a big nope
as others have noted, it would cost us everything to move up that far
... for an ILB
that's a trade you make for a QB or if you're Kevin Costner
that's it

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No for me Simmons is good but not worth giving up the amount of draft picks needed to acquire him .
Honestly the only way I'd consider a trade up is if Wirfs, Wills, Thomas or Kinlaw dropped past 20 something to be clear I don't see happening.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simmons has the potential to be an elite linebacker but I think it's worth keeping in mind that he played more of a safety role in college; it's a valid question to wonder how good he'll remain in coverage when he's having to defend the run first as an ILB on most downs. Either way, ILB isn't a position that's worth trading up that high in the first round for.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Realistically, it would cost #30, #62, and a 2021 1st round pick.

So heeeeeeeck no.

D

Deleted member 6794

Simmons has the potential to be an elite linebacker but I think it's worth keeping in mind that he played more of a safety role in college; it's a valid question to wonder how good he'll remain in coverage when he's having to defend the run first as an ILB on most downs.

Simmons lined up all over the field in college but played only 16% of his snaps at safety last season.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I suppose for me it's all about cost/benefit. I generally don't like the idea of trading away our future to reach except maybe at the QB position and if it's for a presumed starter. I'm not opposed to trading picks or moving around the board, but we are talking about a massive reach up the board here and it would have to be just the perfect deal in our favor. About the only way that I see this in the realm of possibility is if he slipped an additional 5+ spots due to some anomoly (highly unlikely) and we got a very fair deal (like we did with Savage last year).

That said, I love his being well versed at a variety of positions. It's the same reason I like Laviska Shenault in that day 2 area

I understand your sentiment. If he were to fall to the 10-15 range that would be ideal. However, I think the defense lacks a dynamic player that could lessened the burden on the other players and maximize their talents. Simmons is an athletic marvel. He fulfills a position of need and is cost-effective in relation to Blake Martinez and his new deal.

I generally don't like the idea of trading away our future to reach except maybe at the QB position and if it's for a presumed starter.

He is a Day 1 starter and possibly a DROY.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WR is our first priority. May be second and third too.

I don't think using a first round pick on WR is the way to go. This class is deep at WR. Either trade up for a true difference maker or trade down and get more picks.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I could see maybe trading up for Murray

I would hate that. A lot.

Murray may be a fantastic, amazing person. I have no trouble believing that. But as a football player, he's one of the more overrated guys in this class.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would hate that. A lot.

Murray may be a fantastic, amazing person. I have no trouble believing that. But as a football player, he's one of the more overrated guys in this class.
Zoiks!

Sure looks like a player to me. He has the speed, aggression and leadership we need. I am fairly certain he is gone before our pick. We have a 50% shot on Queen being there however.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Zoiks!

Sure looks like a player to me. He has the speed, aggression and leadership we need. I am fairly certain he is gone before our pick. We have a 50% shot on Queen being there however.

He doesn't have man cover skills or ability to play well moving away from the LOS, and his vision/instincts are average. He's very explosive in a straight line, and like I said I'm sure he's a really good person with high character. But he's not the value that people think he is on the field.

I hope you're right and he's gone before our pick.

Favre>Rodgers259

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For our 1st this year and next year, I'd consider it....and that's just because of the strength of this WR class. But that still might be too rich for me even seeing as we'll probably need a top notch OT next year; DL and CB too.

How come all this stuff doesn't get shifted to the Draft Talk forum?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
For our 1st this year and next year, I'd consider it....and that's just because of the strength of this WR class. But that still might be too rich for me even seeing as we'll probably need a top notch OT next year; DL and CB too.

How come all this stuff doesn't get shifted to the Draft Talk forum?

It does, in time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't have man cover skills or ability to play well moving away from the LOS, and his vision/instincts are average. He's very explosive in a straight line, and like I said I'm sure he's a really good person with high character. But he's not the value that people think he is on the field.
It sounds like you just described Blake Martinez.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
It sounds like you just described Blake Martinez.

They have some of the same limitations in terms of what you can ask of them in coverage.

Now, Murray is a far more explosive athlete, so he can get to a lot more plays than Martinez. He is certainly a superior prospect and should be a superior linebacker. But I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on him.

I'm not sold that Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech, isn't just straight up better than Murray.

Reaction score
They have some of the same limitations in terms of what you can ask of them in coverage.

Now, Murray is a far more explosive athlete, so he can get to a lot more plays than Martinez. He is certainly a superior prospect and should be a superior linebacker. But I wouldn't spend a 1st round pick on him.

I'm not sold that Jordyn Brooks, Texas Tech, isn't just straight up better than Murray.
Jordyn was one my personal early list of favorites who was a darkhorse talent, not necessarily with trading up, but I do think he's a great 2nd tier-draft LB. I see him going top #50-#75 range.
Both Murray and Queen should conceivably be gone in that first tier of guys along with Baun also in that top #25-#50 area.
As someone else said, the most reasonable guy to trade up for would be someone in that consensus 10-15 spot that isn't expected to slip. My dream pick in a trade up would be Kinlaw, he's a guy that I believe will live up to his expectations. I also like his story of overcoming adversity and just rooting for him on a personal level.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Jordyn was one my personal early list of favorites who was a darkhorse talent, not necessarily with trading up, but I do think he's a great 2nd tier-draft LB. I see him going top #50-#75 range.
Both Murray and Queen should conceivably be gone in that first tier of guys along with Baun also in that top #25-#50 area.
As someone else said, the most reasonable guy to trade up for would be someone in that consensus 10-15 spot that isn't expected to slip. My dream pick in a trade up would be Kinlaw, he's a guy that I believe will live up to his expectations. I also like his story of overcoming adversity and just rooting for him on a personal level.

I like Murray, Brooks, and Harrison, but I think they all three just limit you in terms of what you can do with them in the passing game.

That's not unusual at all for linebackers, and there's no reason why that should disqualify them by any means. But I think a LB with limited coverage skills is comparable to a RB with limited receiving skills... i.e. not for the first round.

And frankly, the Packers do not seem to be interested in 2nd level defenders on day one or two unless they project to be plus coverage players. That's why Queen is interesting, but I kind of doubt these other top guys are in play.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simmons lined up all over the field in college but played only 16% of his snaps at safety last season.

Not sure where he officially line up, but his position's responsibility in college was coverage first. That won't be the case in the NFL at ILB. Again, like I said, he will probably turn into an elite NFL player. I was just pointing out the one potential concern that I know of.

Members online

Latest posts