To Rebuild or not Rebuild that is the question.

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When TT was first hired I was very worried about the future of the Pack. From people I had talked to I had learned he was a very frugle personality. Loved to try and build through the draft and disdained FA's. While Sherman was the oppisite did not like the draft but felt the FA market could get you what you needed. Sherman did make mistakes I agree but he did try to make the team better. Some Draft picks worked some did not.

TT has got to learn and use the Wolf model build your foundation through the draft but keep reloading with FA.

TT's apparent insistance to rebuild is scary to me especially in the NFL today. Most teams who decide to go with an entirely rebuilt team fail miserably for three to four years before positive dividens become realized. The Patriots, Broncos and now cinci have learned that Rebulding are not decent options and that you must get on the ball to build your team for now and it will take care of itself.

I feel that GB if the trend continues will get worse before better and FA will shy away frrom here because they do not believe there is a Philosiphy of excelence. One of the Reasons reggie came to GB for less money was Wolf convinced him that he wanted GB to be a contender every year which for the last 14 GB was.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams are always rebuilding to an extent. You are either rebuilding or you are falling behind in this NFL. It's just a matter of philosophy. Do you need to completely tear down a structure to get the best out of it or can you improve on what you have until you have achieved the desired result....a la Lambeau Field!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JbShell said:
When TT was first hired I was very worried about the future of the Pack. From people I had talked to I had learned he was a very frugle personality. Loved to try and build through the draft and disdained FA's. While Sherman was the oppisite did not like the draft but felt the FA market could get you what you needed. Sherman did make mistakes I agree but he did try to make the team better. Some Draft picks worked some did not.

TT has got to learn and use the Wolf model build your foundation through the draft but keep reloading with FA.

TT's apparent insistance to rebuild is scary to me especially in the NFL today. Most teams who decide to go with an entirely rebuilt team fail miserably for three to four years before positive dividens become realized. The Patriots, Broncos and now cinci have learned that Rebulding are not decent options and that you must get on the ball to build your team for now and it will take care of itself.

TT turned in the top offer for Koren Robinson, no dice...I think we have a player in Rod Gardner, and I hope he is still with us next fall

you say TT has to learn to build his foundation thru the draft...it looks as if he's trying to do that...Collins, Montgomery, Murphy, Whitticker all with significant roles...Rodgers no one knows...Underwood, Poppinga, Coston, Hawkins...I hope he trades down the way he did last year to continue to gather picks, oh yeah and there was that guy Gado that we signed

this offseason will be a tell all barometer of where this guy stands, I wouldn't call this rebuilding, more like retooling...I don't anticipate the playoffs next season, but thats what it takes to get actual drafted talent back on this roster, something Sherman couldnt provide

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
your right.

i like what we did in the draft last year, and i hope we do the same plus this years should be even better having the 5th pick. but we have to get some free agents in here

America

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the free agency era of football, just about every 4-12 team has improved the next year.

Ted Thompson, in the press conference where he fired Coach Sherman, said that there would be a "larger than normal" turnover of personnel this year on the team. A quick glance at the salary cap page tells me that if you add all the guys in the last year of their contract to the people who could be cut for cap reasons or who might retire, the Packers could be looking at as many as 25 new people on the team next year.

Although I don't think it'll be 25, I do think that we should take the GMs word on this. He wants the team to go in a new direction and I think it means we'll be saying goodbye to a lot of players who've been here for a while. I would particularly think that some of the people who've been backups for a few years and aren't seriously challenging for a starting spot could be vulnerable because TT might want to replace them with people who have a little more talent, or a little more hunger, or both.

By the start of next season, this team is going to look very, very different from the one that Ted Thompson took charge of last January.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[

By the start of next season, this team is going to look very, very different from the one that Ted Thompson took charge of last January.[/quote]
And not much better for years to come if the turnover is thst high I'm afraid.
I hope his idea to go in a different direction isn't that drastic.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont like rebuilding through the draft, honestly. But his 05 picks were good, and the 06 class should be better since of our position in the draft. a couple FA pickups (like rod gardner,etc) and we got ourselves a quality team.

I mean....er....TT is rebuilding, hes a termite! uh...hes 4-12! uh...yeah...whatever...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tromadz..

Agreed..look how long it took Seattle to get where they are today..!!

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry to inform you of this...but when TT decided not to sign or ably replace Wahle and Rivera and let Sharper go, the rebuilding has begun.
This is year two of rebuilding. With 14 free agents, expect half to go elsewhere.

New coach 50% turnover on the roster...sounds like turnover to me.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when hunt and joey thomas, and horton are part of turnover....turn it over. and how many times do we have to discuss the "letting wahle and rivera go was the best thing to do" argument. one of them pretty much said he is overpaid, but you people want a GM who overpays people. Cant have it both ways.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
net said:
Sorry to inform you of this...but when TT decided not to sign or ably replace Wahle and Rivera and let Sharper go, the rebuilding has begun.
This is year two of rebuilding. With 14 free agents, expect half to go elsewhere.

New coach 50% turnover on the roster...sounds like turnover to me.

TT didn't decide to NOT sign Wahle or Rivera. The limited cap space with the huge offers they received were the deciding factors.

How many more times must this be said before ppl understand it wasn't TT's fault those guards left? wow

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ive said it multiple times, zero you have said it multiple times. But unfortunately if they hear the facts, then it kills their "TT let our offensie guards go easilly" argument, so they find it easier to just...ignore the truth. Dangerous.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
ive said it multiple times, zero you have said it multiple times. But unfortunately if they hear the facts, then it kills their "TT let our offensie guards go easilly" argument, so they find it easier to just...ignore the truth. Dangerous.

Dude I think if I got a nickel for each time I offered the correction as to what happened to our guards I myself could have afforded to pay their contracts.

MSMOLLY

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree plus when you look the number of FA's next year and questions if/when the injured players can return, I'd say he has already starting re-building. Plus with a new HC that is a sure sign of re-building - IMO

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

you and me concur all too often on this TT issue

y'know trom, we are like the designated drivers of the packer nation right now...thats what i see it as

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sherman tried to make the Packers a contender every single year, and where did it get us? It got us to 10-6 with early exits from the playoffs. I think Ted Thompson is making an effort to break that pattern. Hopefully he understands that nowadays rebuilding needs to happen quickly because of roster turnover through free agency. Two down years is the most that you can afford. We've already had one. This team needs to make a run at a title in 2007, or Thompson's job will be in jeopardy.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST SIMPLY WRONG..WRONG..WRONG!!!

The model of completely stripping a team and starting over mostly of wholely through the draft simply does NOT work!

Look at New England....

They've had the same corps of guy for YEARS..and when they lost people...they signed...What's that word? Oh yeah...FREE AGENTS..to take their place..and some rookies to develop as well...

But TT's model of mostly building through the draft is antiquated and simply does not work in today's NFL....

If this is what he is up to...look for the Pack to be competitive in say....

Oh....5 to 7 years...like Seattle!!

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
SOME OF YOU PEOPLE ARE JUST SIMPLY WRONG..WRONG..WRONG!!!

The model of completely stripping a team and starting over mostly of wholely through the draft simply does NOT work!

Look at New England....

They've had the same corps of guy for YEARS..and when they lost people...they signed...What's that word? Oh yeah...FREE AGENTS..to take their place..and some rookies to develop as well...

But TT's model of mostly building through the draft is antiquated and simply does not work in today's NFL....

If this is what he is up to...look for the Pack to be competitive in say....

Oh....5 to 7 years...like Seattle!!

mostly building through the draft...he used the cap space we had after last season (which wasn't much, if any) to bring in guys to TRY and fill the holes we had (which there were many of)...Arturo Freeman, Earl Little, Matt O'Dwyer, Adrian Klemm, Raynoch Thompson--certainly these guys didn't pan out, but my point is--with the extra money we now have, the quality of free agents will go up, and the claim that thompson builds entirely with the draft is bogus...

dont forget rod gardner either

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

It depends upon how he proceeds...

He is not "UNTOUCHABLE TED" you know....!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts