TJ Watt

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that was a mistake. Perhaps we can still get JJ from the Texans?

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With fear of getting blocked or ignored by some because of an opinion (insert sarcasm), we can also say at this point would be in the same position we are in now? Quick hypothetical, we draft watt and not trade out and win a few more games do we now have any ammunition to trade up and get savage? Another hypothetical, we also didn't want to draft Alvin Kamara or juju before king or watt. Oh and Dalvin cook went after both watt and king, also passed on him. If we picked him would we have the debate of keeping Jones or not? The draft is a crap shoot, that same year we could have drafted **** tabor or zay Jones as well that high. Their are 0 and I mean 0 guarantees in the draft.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
With fear of getting blocked or ignored by some because of an opinion (insert sarcasm), we can also say at this point would be in the same position we are in now? Quick hypothetical, we draft watt and not trade out and win a few more games do we now have any ammunition to trade up and get savage? Another hypothetical, we also didn't want to draft Alvin Kamara or juju before king or watt. Oh and Dalvin cook went after both watt and king, also passed on him. If we picked him would we have the debate of keeping Jones or not? The draft is a crap shoot, that same year we could have drafted **** tabor or zay Jones as well that high. Their are 0 and I mean 0 guarantees in the draft.
Would they have signed the smith bros?

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you serious

If you are asking me if I'm serious , I am 100% serious it's a crap shoot. Two quick Packer examples, Tony Mandarich. Can't lose prospect, going to be great etc. Donald Driver, seventh rounder out of Alcorn State. Welp we have one pick left let's just grab a receiver who seems to be able bodied. Those are just Packer examples, every other team you can do the same example.

Would they have signed the smith bros?

Who knows, maybe or maybe not. Would they need to sign both? I would say neither, seems like our team for the most part is pretty competent and understand the fiscal part of a team. Would we have money to sign Watt and the brothers? Would either one be on the radar at all as a "need" or would they perhaps just have been a kick the tire "want."

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I hear what you are saying but if we are just looking at that particular draft it was a mistake. In that draft we decided to address a perceived need over BPA IMO.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
between hindsight being 20/20 and the butterfly effects of drafting watt as diesel has alluded to, i'm fine with where we're at thanks
he's a good player, and we and every other team have missed out on a ton of those

Dieseljunkie12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
between hindsight being 20/20 and the butterfly effects of drafting watt as diesel has alluded to, i'm fine with where we're at thanks
he's a good player, and we and every other team have missed out on a ton of those

I am perfectly fine with our current position as well Nate. It all us just a domino effect with the choices made previously.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think that was a mistake. Perhaps we can still get JJ from the Texans?

The Packers don't have the cap space to acquire JJ Watt, who is set to make $17.5 million next season, nor the need with him being past his prime.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Self flagellation over draft picks not chosen or free agents not snapped up is a cottage industry on fan forums. Speculation is fun to be sure - and is the rock on which these churches are built.

"Dominos" does not begin to illustrate the passing on TJ Watt pick... What we're talking about here is messing with the time/space continuum. My head hurts...

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True, but who is the better player?

Obviously TJ is the better player, but luckily it's a team game. We've filled in the hole that missing out on a great OLB gave us by signing Z, Preston and Gary. Had we signed TJ, maybe we have a bigger hole at CB, or less depth at OLB.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I just think that TJ Watt was as close to a guarantee as you’re ever going to see at pick 30. His intangibles were probably stronger than 99% of any available draft pick at any time, in any year.
Of course, if the Packers had drafted him, he’d probably have had chronic groin/hamstring problems.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Obviously TJ is the better player, but luckily it's a team game. We've filled in the hole that missing out on a great OLB gave us by signing Z, Preston and Gary. Had we signed TJ, maybe we have a bigger hole at CB, or less depth at OLB.
Most definitely there is a trickle down effect that affects future personnel decisions.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who has more rings? Marino or Trent dilfer?

Trent Dilfer has as many rings as both Favre and Rodgers. Does that make Dilfer as good as the other 2? Of course not.

The number of rings is not the issue here. It is the quality/athletic ability of TJ Watt and King. IMO Watt was/is the better player and we passed on him because of perceived need.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I think what would best suit the moderators is if every poster made their own separate threads for every player that the Packers passed on that ended up being good. It’s best to stay organized!

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can play this game with nearly every player picked in the last 20 years.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts