Time To Shut Down Eddie Lacy

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sure how I attacked you by saying that I think it's wrong the Packers won't recklessly risk long-term injury to Lacy. :confused: But I get there are some posters here that just can't accept somebody else not agreeing with them.

I'm fine with limiting his carries, though I'm not as pessimistic about his future than you are. Jerome Bettis, a RB similar to Eddie, average over 280 touches a season over a 13-year career did fine. I think Lacy has just to start playing a little bit smarter, not taking too many unnecessary hits.

Not running him with only some ticks left in the first half in our own end could help as well.

I think we're both optimistic about Lacy. It's just that Lacy is at least 25 pounds lighter than the future Hall of Famer you compare him to and Bettis was an anomaly amongst big backs for his combination of durability and longevity. See link.

The whole "feature back" mindset is a bit outdated; a committee approach better protects your assets. Rather than see Eddie take anything off his bruising style, I would prefer to see his workload reduced (closer to 15 touches per contest) with our other assets at RB used to complement him better.

BTW, Lacy had 319 total touches this season (342 touches when you count the postseason). I just don't think that's sustainable over the long-term. It's not that I'm pessimistic about about Eddie, I'm just practical about preserving my assets.

Intelligent minds can disagree. I'll stop harping on this for now. Cheers all.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It doesn't advance the discussion if you're going to attack an argument I haven't been making (in rhetoric this is called a straw man)..

You did this very exact thing...in multiple posts.

Not one poster, to my knowledge, ever argued that Lacy's carries weren't a legitimate topic of discussion or even said that the workload shouldn't be shared.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are painful injuries that can be played with without making worse unless the same mechanism of injury happens again.

Maybe Lacy's ankle was one of those.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing the "Bench Eddie Lacy" thread made me want to resurrect my old thread for fun. Different situations I know, but funny that it's becoming an annual thread. Maybe it needs a sticky like the Fire Capers discussion :roflmao:

Members online

Latest posts