Time To Fire Shawn Mennenga?

should Mennega be fired?

• Total voters

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't think of a game this year were our special teams made a big positive impact, but I can think of several where it made a big negative one.

Against the Colts we fumbled a return.
We've allowed punt Return TD's to both the Jags and Eagles in recent weeks.
Our Kick Return average is if not the worst at least among the worst in the league.

I think it's time for Mennenga to get fired.

Last edited:

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Someone has to get the hook either on D or special teams, I am leading to special teams no big improvements all season, playoffs are right around the corner and MLF is head coach who can try to fix this B4 it bites us and its home alone again

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes. And I really don't see a good reason not to do it now. Will we lose continuity or something?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes. And I really don't see a good reason not to do it now. Will we lose continuity or something?

In order to lose something, you had to have had it in the first place. The Packers special teams has gotten to be almost Slocum-Zook bad and never has been good under Shawn Enigma. I think a change with ST coaching now, might be a good wakeup call to Pettine as well.

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see no reason to keep this guy around.

Further, someone needs to beat up JK Scott. He's too afraid of making a hit. He needs to learn how to throw his weight around.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers' average starting LOS on offense is 18th in the NFL (with 1st being the best).

The Packers' average starting LOS allowed on defense is 17th in the NFL (again, with 1st being the best).

J.K. Scott is 28th in net punt average. His hang time is the best in the league, but in terms of actually flipping fields, he's among the worst.

I don't hold the fumble against Menenga at all. That's not a coordinator's fault. But in terms of creating positive/negative field position, his unit isn't getting the job done.

I see no reason why they shouldn't look to upgrade in the offseason. It's not like Menenga came with any special pedigree.

Perhaps after two seasons in which Petals has proven that he's the real deal, he might be able to attract stronger candidates to fill out his staff.

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They don't want to admit that they made a mistake in not paying for a competent ST coach.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted YES but here's the issue: The Defense gave up another garbage time TD. If the D doesn't give up that garbage TD it's 23-10. We win 30-10! But no the D has to give up late touchdowns, and this one very easily could've cost this team the game. Sorry but great defenses ('85 Bears, '96 Packers, anything put together by Belicheck and Parcells) don't do that.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I just wish this organization would address a flaw(s) on this team immediately instead of waiting deep in the season before they try to convince us that they, “Murphy and the corporation” had no idea this would be a problem or we would have signed or Drafted a fix for this, “trust us” management says, yeah right!

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I voted YES but here's the issue: The Defense gave up another garbage time TD. If the D doesn't give up that garbage TD it's 23-10. We win 30-10! But no the D has to give up late touchdowns, and this one very easily could've cost this team the game. Sorry but great defenses ('85 Bears, '96 Packers, anything put together by Belicheck and Parcells) don't do that.
I agreed because I don't like giving up garbage time TDs either. Especially when calling it garbage time is really premature. That TD put them back in the game. I think Pettine just slows things down on the defense when he wants clock to run. Instead of just playing defense like he should. Damn, just keep playing defense! In this case, I think Pettine told the pass rushers just to contain the QB and not go full bore after him during that drive. His new version of the 3 man rush since LaFleur told him not to use that anymore. Difficult for me to see how we could be worse on special teams if that coach was replaced tomorrow.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Why is it so damn hard to find an average ST cord. From Slocum, Zook and this guy they all have been horrid ST groups.

OP
OP
Fredrik87

Fredrik87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it so damn hard to find an average ST cord. From Slocum, Zook and this guy they all have been horrid ST groups.

I'm still mad that Murphy didn't let Lafleur bring in Darren Rizzi the guy Lafleur was rumored to have wanted and who was well known to be among the best special teams coaches in the NFL.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
There is a rather high likelihood that the Packers lose a playoff game BECAUSE of special teams. That should not happen. We like to talk about how poor the defense has played for 60 minutes, but when they get on the field in their own territory because of how poorly the punt team punts and covers, it is not entirely their fault.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i still hold out hope they'll improve. I figured last time we won a Super Bowl, we would be kept out of one because of our special teams, they sucked and somehow they didn't lose it for us when it counted.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agreed because I don't like giving up garbage time TDs either. Especially when calling it garbage time is really premature. That TD put them back in the game. I think Pettine just slows things down on the defense when he wants clock to run. Instead of just playing defense like he should. Damn, just keep playing defense! In this case, I think Pettine told the pass rushers just to contain the QB and not go full bore after him during that drive. His new version of the 3 man rush since LaFleur told him not to use that anymore. Difficult for me to see how we could be worse on special teams if that coach was replaced tomorrow.

The garbage time TD wasn't what got them back in the game but the ST meltdown was. Often defenses will give up yards to make their opponents eat up clock when they have a good lead. The opposition also gets paid so I don't get too upset with late scores when we are up by a couple of scores. But giving up ST scores is bad.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The garbage time TD wasn't what got them back in the game but the ST meltdown was. Often defenses will give up yards to make their opponents eat up clock when they have a good lead. The opposition also gets paid so I don't get too upset with late scores when we are up by a couple of scores. But giving up ST scores is bad.
Yes, that is true. But (always a but) it is the score that allows the special teams play or turnover to possibly have a big impact. So I say, keep playing defense. Don't make it more complicated. Do what is working. You can't always just turn it off and then be able to turn it on again. I do not like Pettine's give up first downs after we have a good lead philosophy.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Defense, Special Teams, Offense, no matter what happens it all falls in MLF and his coaching staff to fix it, so MLF and coaching staff “FIX IT”

jon

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FWIW, I voted no because I fear it would be disruptive at a time when the team needs to focus on playing the best football of the season in the next couple months.
Yes, I agree that ST could use some disruption from a new coach, but an emotional decision following a weak game is not the time to do it.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I agree that ST could use some disruption from a new coach, but an emotional decision following a weak game is not the time to do it.

I understand what you are saying, but it wouldn't be like this is a knee jerk reaction to one game or one play. This has been a growing problem.

Obviously, if MLF feels like "the guys" really like Shawn M, then maybe he waits. However, if he sees a crack in the leadership, now would be that time to say "You know, we are a great team and we want to be great on Special Teams, I don't see that happening with our current ST coach".

So I can actually see where this could be a wake-up call to everyone, as well as a jolt to all those guys who mainly play special teams.

MM held on to two really bad Special Teams coaches far too long, I hope **** doesn't.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that Mennenga (can we fix the spelling of his name in the title??) should probably be let go, but two critical things need to be in place for that to happen:

1. The head coach has to be strong enough to do it
2. You actually need to have a better, capable coach ready to take his place

Matt LeFleur has been pretty good at his job so far. However, terminating someone's job is a completely different animal. Unless you are the president who takes pride in firing people, most people find it difficult on a personal level to do it especially for the first time. You can all blather about how it's his job and what-not, but my guess is that the majority of forum posters have not had to personally look someone in the eye and tell them that you are firing them from their job. Unless you hate the person or they deserve it for misconduct, it is hard to do. I am not questioning LeFleur's ability, but merely pointing out that I don't think that he has fired anyone yet except for when he first became head coach....letting Mike McCarthy hold-overs go.

Second, I don't know one thing about Assistant Special Teams Coach Maurice Drayton or ST Quality Control Coach Rayna Stewart. They look like good guys on the Packers.com website, but its possible that they are 100% in-step with how Mennenga runs our special teams. If LeFleur isn't confident that one of those guys can lead the group through the rest of the season, then who does it. Most special teams coaches are employed with another team/university right now.

Firing Mennenga is one thing, but replacing him with a better coach is the key. Firing for the sake of firing is knee-jerk and ridiculously stupid.

Members online

Latest posts