Three Draft Surprises That Would Be "Packer" Type Things...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Gute has proven to be various things, but predictable is not always one of them. Picking Gary after Fackrell had excellent season and signing both Smiths in free agency...trading up to draft Jordan Love and not Pittman...picking Dillon when we had Jamaal and Aaron still...

Here are three things that may surprise Packer fans this draft that "arguably" have some valid reasoning to them:

WE DRAFT A CHALLENGER AT CENTER
Many of us have said Myers arguably hasn't progressed a whole lot in his time here....instant starter which was awesome but the progress someone would expect to be there simply hasn't been to many of us, myself included. Don't be shocked if we see or hear a iOL/C's name called early in this year's draft. Two intriguing prospects personally for me are John Michael Schmitz and Cody Mauch. JMS is a pure center historically but has the athleticism to play guard too....there is also Avilla from TCU that was a center for a few years and this past season moved to Guard. There are others of course but this vein of approach could result in a C/iOL be the first OL player drafted by us.

WE DRAFT A CORNERBACK NOT A SAFETY
When reviewing the depth chart in Green Bay, the one position you most likely would say is the deepest and strongest is the cornerback room; Jaire, Rasul, Stokes, Nixon...and also SJC/Benjie Franklin and Kiondre is there too. BUT - at our pick in the first round especially a top flight CB is a true chance to be there, arguably GB's personal CB1 guy could be there...at that point do they do a Rashan Gary type pick and let the best prospect approach be their direction? Does this cause us to finally see Rasul slide back to safety which he used to play more of early in his career? Does Nixon try a position switch? Either way elite talent in the CB room is never a bad thing and with so much athleticism winning out these days it seems more and more teams are just playing their best four/five/six DBs and letting the rest sort itself out. Even if we don't go early...sometimes the best Day2/Day3 guys in a DB room are your diverse CBs who show promise as a safety or has experience in both.

WE DON'T DRAFT A TE TILL 3RD OR LATER
Everyone knows we are depleted at TE....what does Gute do often in FA, even if it is on the cheap? Fill holes with poor stoppers...sometimes they work out - other times they don't. I mildly expect Lewis or another FA to be signed before the draft essentially eliminating the TE knife to Gute's throat. This draft class of TEs is DEEEEEEEP. I mean there is a chance in the 3rd Sam LaPorta or Tucker Kraft is there....guys like Kuntz, Allen, Schoonmaker and others will be there Day 3. It would drive many of us nuts, myself included most likely if we do this....but the players we add instead could make a massive difference in my mindset of it....not too mention what later round TEs we add...give me Davis Allen and Payne Durham day three and I'm still smiling quite large about what they may become (SO long as we brought in a stop gap FA)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Another concept on that TE strategy (this works particularly well if we get a 2nd or 4th Roubder(s) or both) is to double dip at TE earlier on Day 3.
That angle would allow us at least
4 individual draft selections (likely once Rodgers gets traded) to use at WR/DL/OL/DB/Edge.

My belief is one position might get addressed with:
A. a Veteran in our trade
OR
B. We’ll sign a lower cost Veteran.

WR seems like our biggest need for a Veteran presence.

Last edited:

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
So Gute has proven to be various things, but predictable is not always one of them. Picking Gary after Fackrell had excellent season and signing both Smiths in free agency...trading up to draft Jordan Love and not Pittman...picking Dillon when we had Jamaal and Aaron still...

Here are three things that may surprise Packer fans this draft that "arguably" have some valid reasoning to them:

WE DRAFT A CHALLENGER AT CENTER
Many of us have said Myers arguably hasn't progressed a whole lot in his time here....instant starter which was awesome but the progress someone would expect to be there simply hasn't been to many of us, myself included. Don't be shocked if we see or hear a iOL/C's name called early in this year's draft. Two intriguing prospects personally for me are John Michael Schmitz and Cody Mauch. JMS is a pure center historically but has the athleticism to play guard too....there is also Avilla from TCU that was a center for a few years and this past season moved to Guard. There are others of course but this vein of approach could result in a C/iOL be the first OL player drafted by us.

WE DRAFT A CORNERBACK NOT A SAFETY
When reviewing the depth chart in Green Bay, the one position you most likely would say is the deepest and strongest is the cornerback room; Jaire, Rasul, Stokes, Nixon...and also SJC/Benjie Franklin and Kiondre is there too. BUT - at our pick in the first round especially a top flight CB is a true chance to be there, arguably GB's personal CB1 guy could be there...at that point do they do a Rashan Gary type pick and let the best prospect approach be their direction? Does this cause us to finally see Rasul slide back to safety which he used to play more of early in his career? Does Nixon try a position switch? Either way elite talent in the CB room is never a bad thing and with so much athleticism winning out these days it seems more and more teams are just playing their best four/five/six DBs and letting the rest sort itself out. Even if we don't go early...sometimes the best Day2/Day3 guys in a DB room are your diverse CBs who show promise as a safety or has experience in both.

WE DON'T DRAFT A TE TILL 3RD OR LATER
Everyone knows we are depleted at TE....what does Gute do often in FA, even if it is on the cheap? Fill holes with poor stoppers...sometimes they work out - other times they don't. I mildly expect Lewis or another FA to be signed before the draft essentially eliminating the TE knife to Gute's throat. This draft class of TEs is DEEEEEEEP. I mean there is a chance in the 3rd Sam LaPorta or Tucker Kraft is there....guys like Kuntz, Allen, Schoonmaker and others will be there Day 3. It would drive many of us nuts, myself included most likely if we do this....but the players we add instead could make a massive difference in my mindset of it....not too mention what later round TEs we add...give me Davis Allen and Payne Durham day three and I'm still smiling quite large about what they may become (SO long as we brought in a stop gap FA)
Lol, sounds to me like the Packers draft processes typically drive you nuts. You sound like the posters that want us to draft for perceived immediate position need instead of taking best fit of the available talent on the Packers draft board.
I really don't get why any of this drives people nuts in that none of us except maybe Amish has visual access to the draft board and know absolutely zero about the interviews the Packers conducted on these players.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one...the Green Bay Packers select the RB from Texas Bijan Robinson. Giving the team potentially one of the best runnung back rooms of all time

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually believe safety is in most dire need of adding a veteran.

Yeah safeties almost always take a couple years...idk whos really left out there. Amos I suppose could end up back on a cheap deal as it seems he's not getting much interest. But I dont think hes very good.

John Johnson could be a possibility, I liked him coming out

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one...the Green Bay Packers select the RB from Texas Bijan Robinson. Giving the team potentially one of the best runnung back rooms of all time
He's close to being worthy of a 1st round pick as a receiver, had he concentrated on it. I think he will be gone at 15. He could be an amazing weapon.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's close to being worthy of a 1st round pick as a receiver, had he concentrated on it. I think he will be gone at 15. He could be an amazing weapon.

You think? Hmm idk... I think if hes there at 15, you gotta strongly consider taking him as the best player available and a replacement for Aaron Jones going forward with Love. Youre right Im sure he could of been a 1st as a wr too and thats amazingly rare

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think? Hmm idk... I think if hes there at 15, you gotta strongly consider taking him as the best player available and a replacement for Aaron Jones going forward with Love. Youre right Im sure he could of been a 1st as a wr too and thats amazingly rare
I would consider it. I would really try to help Love as much as possible. Paris Johnson is my best hope, maybe Skronski. 2nd I would consider QJ or JNS at WR. But having a great run game can take the pressure off. We already have a great run game with Aaron Jones and AJ Dillon. Bijan could keep them fresh this year and extend jones career a bit.

Caya

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that happen. I could even see us trade back and pick up Robinson at 23-30. A few mocks I have done have seen Robinson fall that far. I think he will fall. I just hope we don’t try to take him at 15.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can see that happen. I could even see us trade back and pick up Robinson at 23-30. A few mocks I have done have seen Robinson fall that far. I think he will fall. I just hope we don’t try to take him at 15.

You gotta remember what the media thinks about prospects is often not what front offices think...I have a feeling someone will take Robinson higher than we think. Despite the fact that he is labled as a rb he is a generational talent. But I too have done a lot of mocks in which I traded back just before the Cowboys to grab Robinson

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, sounds to me like the Packers draft processes typically drive you nuts. You sound like the posters that want us to draft for perceived immediate position need instead of taking best fit of the available talent on the Packers draft board.
I really don't get why any of this drives people nuts in that none of us except maybe Amish has visual access to the draft board and know absolutely zero about the interviews the Packers conducted on these players.

Absolutely not, lol - clearly you’ve not seen my posts often. I’m firmly in the best prospect available especially in the first with only very few restrictions - we don’t need a QB and in order to draft a RB or a TE in the top half of the first it has to be a generational thought guy.

Just because someone expounds upon tendencies and past to formulate three potential pick types many may not predict doesn’t mean at all it frustrates me - I stinking love the draft process, scouting players, watching tape or as many as I can pay for the film on and studying draft tendencies.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You gotta remember what the media thinks about prospects is often not what front offices think...I have a feeling someone will take Robinson higher than we think. Despite the fact that he is labled as a rb he is a generational talent. But I too have done a lot of mocks in which I traded back just before the Cowboys to grab Robinson

However nearly every single pundit, or media person worth listening to says he is a freaking amazing prospect, many argue a top 5 overall in this draft - it is merely his position which makes predicting where he goes tough because RBs more than essentially any position are the closest to growing on trees literally clear through the draft.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Where do the eagles pick? I can see him going there. Or the eagles trading back as well. Howie loves the trenches tho so could be interesting

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm genuinely interested in why anyone believes Amish has visual access to the team's draft board?

If it's because of the picture he posted in 2014 that was a pool photo published by the team taken by Evan Siegle during the 2010 draft.

I definitely don't want the Packers to use a first rounder on a running back.

Where do the eagles pick? I can see him going there. Or the eagles trading back as well. Howie loves the trenches tho so could be interesting

The Eagles hold the 10th and 30th pick in the first round this year.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Absolutely not, lol - clearly you’ve not seen my posts often. I’m firmly in the best prospect available especially in the first with only very few restrictions - we don’t need a QB and in order to draft a RB or a TE in the top half of the first it has to be a generational thought guy.

Just because someone expounds upon tendencies and past to formulate three potential pick types many may not predict doesn’t mean at all it frustrates me - I stinking love the draft process, scouting players, watching tape or as many as I can pay for the film on and studying draft tendencies.
Oh, so is Robinson a generational RB?
So why would it drive you and others nuts if they don't draft a TE until the 4th or 5th round?

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm genuinely interested in why anyone believes Amish has visual access to the team's draft board?

If it's because of the picture he posted in 2014 that was a pool photo published by the team taken by Evan Siegle during the 2010 draft.

I definitely don't want the Packers to use a first rounder on a running back.

The Eagles hold the 10th and 30th pick in the first round this year.
Lol, in case you haven't noticed, not everyone is deadly serious about everything they post. I was only paying homage to one of the most clever posts I've ever seen here.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, so is Robinson a generational RB?
So why would it drive you and others nuts if they don't draft a TE until the 4th or 5th round?

Wouldn’t drive me nuts, it would drive a lot of the fan base nuts due to the dire need that room has right now.

OP
OP
tynimiller

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and I don’t believe Bijan is generational - I do think he might be an elite level RB on par with say Jones or touch higher Kamara as his ceiling.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol, in case you haven't noticed, not everyone is deadly serious about everything they post. I was only paying homage to one of the most clever posts I've ever seen here.

Well, it's close to impossible to figure out if someone isn't being serious with a post. In addition I'm not sure I understand what was so clever about posting a nearly four year old picture in a mock draft.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it's close to impossible to figure out if someone isn't being serious with a post. In addition I'm not sure I understand what was so clever about posting a nearly four year old picture in a mock draft.
Lol, your sense of humor is decidedly different than mine apparently. Amish had interjected a faint image of his forum "likeness" in the mirror of that picture which I found clever.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lol, your sense of humor is decidedly different than mine apparently. Amish had interjected a faint image of his forum "likeness" in the mirror of that picture which I found clever.

To be honest, I never looked at the picture Amish posted close enough to realize he had inserted an image of an Amish in it. Now you made me aware of it I definitely agree that was brilliant and truly funny.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I am surprised that nobody has stated this surprise. The Packers use their first pick on a QB. How many socks would that blow off on draft night?

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Haha they wont do that man but i could see them doing it in the 2nd round just like they did last time

Members online

Latest posts