Thoughts on these past 2 "ugly wins"

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel confident in this team in the playoffs and I feel we are probably the 4th or 5th best team in the NFC.

That said, I'm constantly reminded of past teams that rolled to 12-4 or 15-1(2011) and didn't do crap in the playoffs bc they laid an egg after having a season full of blowout wins

So who knows, maybe they "figure it all out" a month from now and we can get hot. I suppose, like AR said, I'd rather win ugly now and just get to the SB. There are ZERO style points in the NFL and even past Packer teams that had "****" blowout wins usually didn't do anything in the playoffs lol..

So I don't think it really matters at the end honestly

Any given Sunday

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
49’ers who beat the Saints 48-46 today scored 3 field goals against Washington. Won 9-0. Any given Sunday.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the Redskins have prevented some teams like the Vikings who beat them 19-9, and the 49ers who won 9-0 from putting on a total domination show. So no the Packers aren't the only ones who didn't 40 burger these guys into oblivion.

But ....

Problem is the opportunities were there to really put way more points on the board as they were against the NYG, Carolina and a couple other games we had. This offense has failed many times to put its foot on the gas and do what those 2 teams in New Orleans did today. We put together one big offense showing earlier this year against the Raiders, but we've not done it since.

What I don't like is this

https://www.packers.com/news/aaron-rodgers-will-take-winning-ugly-all-the-way-to-the-super-bowl

That's the polar opposite of what he said last year against Buffalo, and today he should have said the same thing. The season isn't over and sure, there's always a chance this will improve. But this laziness and complacency in the offense has got to stop and stop now!

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Winning ugly is fine. The problem is that winning ugly is generally only possible against terrible teams like the Giants and Redskins who are bad enough to still lose to you when you're not playing good football.

Winning ugly all the way to the Super Bowl is not an option as they will not get away with poor play against the NFCs elite teams. They must play better if they are to advance beyond their first game.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think y'all are getting AR or my point, it really doesn't matter how you win in the playoffs

The NFCCG we WON with AR vs the Bears was an "ugly win"..

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As a player I hated ugly wins...as a coach I despise them...BUT every great team has em, sometimes a lot of em - sometimes just one. It happens. I just hope that this means when things turn ugly in a playoff game, this team doesn't backpedal or pause but get the sense "been here done that, let's go!"

Time is the only way we learn the answer to this though...

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grinding out an "ugly win" when things aren't going our way is no simple thing. All good teams do it. And not so good teams (like the Lions) end up with close/ugly losses.

OP
OP
PackinMSP

PackinMSP

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2014 NFCCG is an "ugly loss" that SHOULD HAVE BEEN an "ugly win"

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt the Packers didn't play well against Washington but fans should be glad about the team currently standing at 10-3. I agree that they don't deserve to be considered a legit Super Bowl contender at this point but they have another three or four weeks to make improvements to pull off a title run.

As a side note, I'm quite sure the Niners and Saints don't feel confident about their defense after yesterday's game.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt the Packers didn't play well against Washington but fans should be glad about the team currently standing at 10-3. I agree that they don't deserve to be considered a legit Super Bowl contender at this point but they have another three or four weeks to make improvements to pull off a title run.

As a side note, I'm quite sure the Niners and Saints don't feel confident about their defense after yesterday's game.

100%...not to mention the last time we made a SB run I never saw it happening with about 3 weeks left that regular season either.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, the Redskins have prevented some teams like the Vikings who beat them 19-9, and the 49ers who won 9-0 from putting on a total domination show. So no the Packers aren't the only ones who didn't 40 burger these guys into oblivion.

But ....

Problem is the opportunities were there to really put way more points on the board as they were against the NYG, Carolina and a couple other games we had. This offense has failed many times to put its foot on the gas and do what those 2 teams in New Orleans did today. We put together one big offense showing earlier this year against the Raiders, but we've not done it since.

What I don't like is this

https://www.packers.com/news/aaron-rodgers-will-take-winning-ugly-all-the-way-to-the-super-bowl

That's the polar opposite of what he said last year against Buffalo, and today he should have said the same thing. The season isn't over and sure, there's always a chance this will improve. But this laziness and complacency in the offense has got to stop and stop now!

Yes, it is time to bench this lazy bum and put in Boyle or Wilkins before it's too late.

/sarc
As a player I hated ugly wins...as a coach I despise them...BUT every great team has em, sometimes a lot of em - sometimes just one. It happens. I just hope that this means when things turn ugly in a playoff game, this team doesn't backpedal or pause but get the sense "been here done that, let's go!"

Time is the only way we learn the answer to this though...

You are a coach? Where?

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, every team has issues. I'm sure there are a lot of nervous nellies in NE today too. In this league all that counts is getting the W. Nobody cares about style points.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, it is time to bench this lazy bum and put in Boyle or Wilkins before it's too late.

/sarc

You are a coach? Where?

Recreational coach only, nothing professional. Travel baseball/softball type stuff. Still the same thought, but entirely different level of stuff. Was speaking in general terms.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Recreational coach only, nothing professional. Travel baseball/softball type stuff. Still the same thought, but entirely different level of stuff. Was speaking in general terms.

That's kinda neat. Any coach at any level has to guide his charges so kudos to you. :tup:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Hell no, and I didn't say Rodgers himself is necessarily lazy, but the offense as a whole, aka players like GMo and Sternberger who don't contribute anything.

Rodgers is our best shot to win and we likely aren't going to find his successor once he retires for years down the road. Having said that, that doesn't excuse him for not demanding players get in and out of the huddle quicker, and trying to catch defenses off guard by calling a sudden snap before they get set more often. He can get petty slow moving up and down that field and it's getting aggravating.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hell no, and I didn't say Rodgers himself is necessarily lazy, but the offense as a whole, aka players like GMo and Sternberger who don't contribute anything.

Rodgers is our best shot to win and we likely aren't going to find his successor once he retires for years down the road. Having said that, that doesn't excuse him for not demanding players get in and out of the huddle quicker, and trying to catch defenses off guard by calling a sudden snap before they get set more often. He can get petty slow moving up and down that field and it's getting aggravating.

I was being sardonic because if you didn't know our record and read some of the posts here you would think our record is 3-10 instead of 10-3. :rolleyes:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was being sardonic because if you didn't know our record and read some of the posts here you would think our record is 3-10 instead of 10-3. :rolleyes:

3-10....you so generous...this team should be drafting first duh... :p

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with winning ugly is that it usually catches up with you at some point. It's a bit like bend but don't break. You let teams hang around and eventually it will bite you in the ****. Or you run into a team that fires on all cylinders and they pummel you.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't feel confident in this team in the playoffs and I feel we are probably the 4th or 5th best team in the NFC.

That said, I'm constantly reminded of past teams that rolled to 12-4 or 15-1(2011) and didn't do crap in the playoffs bc they laid an egg after having a season full of blowout wins

So who knows, maybe they "figure it all out" a month from now and we can get hot. I suppose, like AR said, I'd rather win ugly now and just get to the SB. There are ZERO style points in the NFL and even past Packer teams that had "****" blowout wins usually didn't do anything in the playoffs lol..

So I don't think it really matters at the end honestly

Any given Sunday
This indeed true. Feeling good in December does not mean playing good in January. But as far being 4th 5th or 6th UT is about right. We were a 6 win team last year so there has been improvement but certainly not to the level of the 9ers.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem with winning ugly is that it usually catches up with you at some point. It's a bit like bend but don't break. You let teams hang around and eventually it will bite you in the ****. Or you run into a team that fires on all cylinders and they pummel you.

Yep.

The 49ers game showed us the kind of result you can expect against an elite team when you're playing well enough to "win ugly".

The 2010-11 NFCCG against the Bears is not a great comparison as there are going to be probably 3 or 4 teams just in the NFC playoff field better than that Bears' team was. The NFC was down that year which was a good thing for us. It is not this year.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You are exactly correct. The Bears had a good D but were a flat team on offense. Atlanta lacked a good D and the Eagles had an inconsistent group with Vick as the starter. And we caught a break in that the Patriots got knocked off by the Jets and we got Pittsburgh.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts