Thompson quiet, but not asleep

Reaction score
Bruce, I still think TT has a plan, and he tried to get a top FA but failed. So now I think he is left with the 2nd tier guys he targeted, and that gives the impression that he was caught with his pants down this time. But of course if the Packers can get Pickett, everyone will breathe a huge sigh of reliefe, including TT.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, let me play Devil's Advocate on this one.

What, exactly, is attractive about Green Bay right now that would lure top tier FAs?

Some players might come here for the opportunity to play with Favre. But his status remains uncertain.

Some players might want to come in and be a part of the "post Favre" era to help bring this team back to glory. But when does that era start?

Money is everywhere, so that may not be a huge deciding factor.

Some guys want more money than they are worth. They will not be here.

Whether you wish to admit it or not, the lingering of the Favre situation does have an affect on the decision making of players in the FA pool. How many and to what extent we do not know, but to say his situation does not impact the perception of the team is way off the mark. Nothing is known, and people fear the unknown.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hey Digs maybe Butter Burgers??? What about a nice cocktail at Fuzzy´s ???

mmmmmm buying false memorabilia close to Lambeau ?????

Seriously I think you are right, but this is a strange issue kind of what happened before the egg or the chicken???

That is why I fell IMHO and just MHO that TT should be acting more agresively to get Brett to make a commitment....

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To me, he is. Signed Kampman, an up and coming safety, courting AV, working to get Pickett and Gardner, and more in the future, I am sure. Plus we have a #5 pick (remember, Favre wants to see what is done in FA AND the draft...wtf is the big rush, we are over a month from the draft) and the possibility of some player trades.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There were a couple of significant comments by Thompson in this article. One is that he said free agency is a "very useful tool," which is more enthusiasm than he's shown in the past for free agency. Heck, by Thompson's standards, that's like doing handstands and cartwheels. He also emphasized the importance of a good kicker, and I agree with him there. It's very true that you don't appreciate a good kicker until you are without one. I would love to see the Packers snag Vinatieri.

Lare

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem with Thompson improving the depth of the Packers "on the cheap". The problem as I see it is that we still need viable starters at several positions (LB, LB, OG, C, OG, WR, K, FB and posibbly QB, CB, P, RB & TE).

I'm not so sure you can fill all those holes with 5 draft picks and FAs on the cheap.

TheStone

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well done, TT!

Pickett chose the Packers. Money was important, but as it is reported here
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 4558.shtml
it wasn't everything.

Terms of the contract were unavailable. The Rams were offering a five-year, $16 million deal that included a signing bonus of $5.5 million, and it’s believed Buffalo’s offer was slightly better than that. The Packers almost certainly offered Pickett a deal in that range

To me, that sounds like:"Three teams offering about the same amount of money
to me. Mmmmh, I think I choose Packers!"

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TheStone said:
Well done, TT!

Pickett chose the Packers. Money was important, but as it is reported here
http://www.packersnews.com/archives/new ... 4558.shtml
it wasn't everything.

Terms of the contract were unavailable. The Rams were offering a five-year, $16 million deal that included a signing bonus of $5.5 million, and it’s believed Buffalo’s offer was slightly better than that. The Packers almost certainly offered Pickett a deal in that range

To me, that sounds like:"Three teams offering about the same amount of money
to me. Mmmmh, I think I choose Packers!"

See three teams and Packers win out. And people say no one wants to come to GB. ... HA

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pft said:
BENTLEY HAS TORN PATELLA TENDON

A league source tells us that it's "99.9 percent certain" that Browns center LeCharles Bentley has a torn patella tendon. He is expected have surgery within 24 hours and most likely will miss the entire 2006 season.

Ordinarily, we'd talk a little bit about the team's other options for replacing Bentley, who signed a big-money deal with the team on the first day of free agency after backing out of a wink-nod arrangement with the Eagles that had been negotiated prior to the "official" launch of the signing period.

We'd also take some time to comment on the possibility that karma might be to blame for the injury.

But, hey, we're on vacation. We'll leave it to whoever reports this story after us (and who doesn't give us credit for it) to deal with those details.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Every GM has a plan. The good GM's plans work because they make good football and financial decisions. And believe it or not football and finances go hand in had today. The demise of the 49ers was that they put their franchise on load and when they hit bottom it was rock bottom. It was a very poorly managed team from a financial standpoint. Their finances cost them being able to keep, get, and maintain quality football players.

I have no idea yet whether Thompson is going to a bad, average, good or great GM, but I do know that what Mike Sherman was doing didn't work. His work as GM is the reason we are where we're at. He made bad football and financial decisions and it hurt this franchise something awful. This is a team in rough shape. This year we hopefully wil begin to see some benefits from TT's drafts. I also think this year will be a telling year as whether the people he has drafted will help us or not.

Members online