Thompson quiet, but not asleep

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/sports/ ... 70&ntpid=1
JASON WILDE
608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY - The Washington Redskins have signed wide receiver Antwaan Randle El, safety Adam Archuleta, defensive end-outside linebacker Andre Carter and tight end Christian Fauria, and have traded for receiver Brandon Lloyd.

The Cleveland Browns have signed center LeCharles Bentley, nose tackle Ted Washington, punter Dave Zastudil, left tackle Kevin Shaffer and wide receiver Joe Jurevicius.

And the arch-rival Minnesota Vikings have signed running back Chester Taylor, kicker Ryan Longwell and linebacker Ben Leber, have retained receiver Koren Robinson and safety Willie Offord and have signed Seattle Seahawks transition-tagged guard Steve Hutchinson to a seven-year, $49 million offer sheet that includes $16 million in guaranteed money.

And what have the Green Bay Packers done so far in NFL free agency?

They have re-signed injured halfback Ahman Green to a one-year, incentive-laden deal; have re-upped with defensive end Aaron Kampman, their No. 1 re-signing priority; and have signed ex-Seattle safety Marquand Manuel to a five-year, $10 million contract ($2 million signing bonus), a deal that was finally officially announced Monday night.

Oh, and they claimed wide receiver Harry Williams, who played in one game as a rookie last season, on waivers from the New York Jets.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson understands that a few among the green-and-gold faithful might look at the headline-grabbing moves other teams have made and be a little envious.

But contrary to popular belief, Thompson said, he isn't anti-free agency. He's just against making expensive mistakes - even though he entered the signing period with $30 million in salary cap room.

"It's not fantasy football," Thompson said Monday. "When you go into free agency, you're making a commitment to a player and oftentimes you don't have enough information to justify that. That's why I think (teams) do (make mistakes in free agency), because you don't know as much about these players as you do your own players.

"Every time you think you can help your team, you do your best to help your team. We evaluate every player. Just because one team might rate a player as an elite player (and pay him that kind of money) and we don't, that doesn't make us right and them wrong or vice versa. This is just the way we go about it."

So far, that's meant hosting St. Louis Rams defensive tackle Ryan Pickett and adding Manuel, who figures to start opposite second-year safety Nick Collins. While running the Seahawks' personnel department, Thompson claimed Manuel on waivers from Cincinnati in 2003 and said he has since evolved into "a solid football player."

"That's the profile we're looking for" in free agents, Thompson said.

To replace Longwell, Thompson said "there's always options," and didn't rule out spending big money on a high-profile kicker, such as New England's Adam Vinatieri or Indianapolis' Mike Vanderjagt - as unlikely as that may seem to some.

"(A) kicker is incredibly important, and it's most important when you don't have one," Thompson said. "A lot of people assume they know what I think of free agency. The truth is, I think it's a very useful tool. Just because we're not signing somebody every day doesn't mean we're not busting our tails. But we're going to go through the process."

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great quotes by teddy in there, and great analysis of his actions so far.

free agency is more than a week, and this is NOT fantasy football. BAM...good stuff.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

free agency is more than a week, and this is NOT fantasy football. BAM...good stuff.

LOL Show me one tiny bit of analysis in that piece.

Yeah, really I expected Ted to say stuff like,

"What do you mean this isn't fantasy football... I want my mommy"
or
"I'm scared $hitless so I am hiding in my closet -- shhh don't tell anyone I'm in here..."
or
"We got caught with our pants down, but we'll get right on it when I get my staff back in town..."

Of course even if he had said any or all of the above, tromadz would have been jumping in delaring "BAM...good stuff."

Wilde wrote a nice fluff piece that told us nothing -- which is his right, but hardly anything that qualifies as thoughtful or "great analysis"

gopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you know what everyone is wrong TT hasnt been good but I dont know if he has beeen bad only time can tell

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks zero...I feel a little better. I want to feel I'm in good hands with TT guiding the ship...I think TT is dead on with the kicker slot, just look at how many last second kicks have brought us victories...

Come'on TT...Vin for the loyal fans. We know what we're getting. Go get'em, Tiger.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bruce said:
tromadz said:

LOL Show me one tiny bit of analysis in that piece.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson understands that a few among the green-and-gold faithful might look at the headline-grabbing moves other teams have made and be a little envious.

But contrary to popular belief, Thompson said, he isn't anti-free agency. He's just against making expensive mistakes - even though he entered the signing period with $30 million in salary cap room.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The big problem here I think is fans want TT to make a 4 - 12 team in to a 12 - 4 team over night. He started chipping the fat away when he got here. Now he's trying to NOT add more fat by making 'uneducated' quick signings.

We fans(even mr impatient... me) have to wait for his plan to unfold.

When a magician lifts the apron and the elephant is gone, everyone claps. If the magician were to slip and show slight of hand an let the audiance see what really happened the elephant do you think he'd be in business for long? No.

Let's hold our judgements, bite our tongues (or 4packgirl's), sit back and watch our roster get some DEPTH. By the way that is something that hurt us tremendously last season. No depth. TT is now getting depth, sloooooowly, but surely. TT and everyone knows the Packers are far from two high priced, (possibly over priced) FA to make us a contender. I would much rather have 6 solid contributors then having 2 high priced aging FA studs.

Our team basically sucked last year. Face it. We need an overhaul and TT is doing just that.

With that said. TT needs to get his *** back at 1265 Lmbardi and evaluate Mr. Ben Taylor and sign his ***. His 'we will speak with you in a week' garbage as me furious. That goes for any of the FA he asked to come back in a week. With that mentality I sure as hell hope he is getting to draft 7(I think we're gonna end up with seven) studs in the upcoming NFL Draft and pick up some helluva bonafide undrafted rookies.

Let the waiting begin...

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope his plan works. There is no guarantee that if we are patient we will be in better shape in three years. The most patient fans of all time were Packer fans in the 70's and 80's. We gave alot of regimes time to rebuild. It didn't happen until we found the right guy. The bottomline is personnel. If he doesn't know ****, I'd like to find out sooner rather than later.

You also need to be able to sell your plan. If players aren't buying it, you lose. This is my biggest concern with TT. He isn't exactly Mr. Personality.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Yeah...

and he never spelled out just what the "HELL" his plan is anyway..

What's the plan...TT???

Do you really have one....?

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
Let's hold our judgements, bite our tongues (or 4packgirl's), sit back and watch our roster get some DEPTH.

Let the waiting begin...

hey!!!! what'd i do now????? :-? :-? :(

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
I hope his plan works. There is no guarantee that if we are patient we will be in better shape in three years. The most patient fans of all time were Packer fans in the 70's and 80's. We gave alot of regimes time to rebuild. It didn't happen until we found the right guy. The bottomline is personnel. If he doesn't know ****, I'd like to find out sooner rather than later.

You also need to be able to sell your plan. If players aren't buying it, you lose. This is my biggest concern with TT. He isn't exactly Mr. Personality.

I believe Teddy has a plan and that is to add depth with young players that can be brought in on the cheap.
We all know that the Packers need to add depth but they also need to fill holes with players that can actually play NFL caliber football.
I'm hoping that also figures into Teddy's plan. I'm sure all of us hope Teddy's plan works. Hope at this point is all we have.
DePack I wholeheartedly agree with you that Teddy is having trouble selling people on his plan and the Green Bay Packers. My gut feeling is that he is projecting a negative opinion to people in and around the NFL.

It seems from all I read and hear is that the connected NFL people are wondering what the he77 is going on in Green Bay.

Nobody in the media even talks about the Packers being a player in the FA market anymore. If it wasn't for Brett Favre the Packers would be a forgotten team.
There is an old saying, "no news is good news". In this case I don't believe it applies.

Good luck Teddy!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez, 66, if TT tells US his plan, won't he also be telling EVERY TEAM in the league his plan?? Brilliant!!

Kinda like playing poker and telling the others what you have in your hand. Again, I marvel at the brilliance of that statement!!

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Geez, 66, if TT tells US his plan, won't he also be telling EVERY TEAM in the league his plan?? Brilliant!!

Kinda like playing poker and telling the others what you have in your hand. Again, I marvel at the brilliance of that statement!!

Yea well you gotta play to win. You can't fold every hand and expect to win the big pot. There's still time but TT has been dealt a pretty good hand(cap room). Time to play it.

Man was that corny......you're the one that brought up the poker analogy :p :p

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know exactly what TT is doing...(and unfortunately..it's not good)

TT is using an "outdated model" of building a football team in the NFL. In the beginning of FA...the idea was to build through the draft, keep your players signed at modest prices, and fill in with FA talent as it becomes available...

Unfortunately...this is the "long view" approach, which takes several years...(at least 3-5) when building from the ground up...to see any success...in terms of winning football games....

The problem is that in today's NFL..there is alot more movement from year to year with FA players..and the fans patience to win is not equivalent to this "long view" approach...(and if you can't keep your players signed...that's another big problem...)

add to this fact..that with the GB Packers..you have one Brett Favre...who if surrounded with the right "key players" at the skill positions and a good OL...could take you to your ultimate goal....a SB..in a hurry...(which is at odds with the "long view" approach).

Another problem with TT's long view approach..is that it is not sustainable....You may be able to build a team in 3-5 years that is competitive (like the Patriots)....but in today's NFL..there are no more dynasties...so you have to take a different approach....

The Patriots are starting to slide....and I would be surprised to see Pittsburgh make it very far next year either...

So..the long view approach TT...like the dinosaur...is becoming extinct in the NFL...what you have to do is have a hybrid approach in which you keep your core players...on OL and defense..and you aggressively sign FA's at the skill positions....and veterans...which is what Ron Wolf did for the Pack...

So..as you can see..I don't have much faith in TT's "plan"...

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's not like this is super-secret rocket science stuff digs...

(There's only so many things you can do as an NFL GM...)

My problem with TT..is that he plays his hand...WAY TO CLOSE TO THE VEST....

(and again...the only reason I can think of why is because of Brett Favre...!)

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And there are also a couple of old timers in this forum that cannot afford to wait for 5 years to see the packers win again !!! If not check Cheesey Digs and Depack, hey this two have already began to introduce nice sounding words like Voila, Eclectic, etc !!!! Old words from distant eras when old gentlemen use to talk to each other while ridding their old carriages on old clay covered streets !!!! Mon Dieu !!!! Trés Chic!!! Nous ne pouvons pas rester aussi pour long temps sans une équipe qui gagne une Super Bowl pour nous !!!!!!

Now I have a problem with the world eclectic, everytime a Mexican arquitect finds the way to build the ugliest building in the world they call the style not crappy or ****** but ECLECTIC.... I hope TT is not building and Eclectic team here !!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He needs to start adding somebody. Getting Pickett signed to a deal before the weekend would be huge and I think he'd earn some Packer faith.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it is unfair to say that TT is asleep or lacking a pulse...

I think a fairer assessment of his performance thus far can be described as a deer caught staring into the headlights.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Bruce... He has been staring into the headlights for such a long time now that the car must have allready run over him a couple of times !!!!

Members online