This packer team and sacks compared to

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Now, this is a comparison of a SB winning team and the o-line issues of protection..96 was a mvp year for Brett, he was really in a groove and in his prime..

1996 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Winning SB team of 96
543 atts+40 = 573 times he tried to pass
40 sacks
6.9% of att passes he was sacked
241 yards lost

2009 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

541 atts+50= times he tried to pass
50 sacks
8.5 % of passes att he was sacked
306 yards lost

So Rodgers got about .60 more sacks this year per game.

Thats just over a 1/2 sack per game

Not as bad NOW when comparing it to the 96 team

So for those that say because of Bretts release he wouldnt get that many sacks, I think there is evidence to show sometimes his arm isnt enough to avoid a sack

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decent attempt, but Rodgers' receivers are leaps and bounds better than what Brett had in 1996, and also the 4 WR sets that Rodgers enjoys. Better receivers and more of them usually means more open receivers to throw the ball to - usually leading to fewer sacks.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, this is a comparison of a SB winning team and the o-line issues of protection..96 was a mvp year for Brett, he was really in a groove and in his prime..

1996 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Winning SB team of 96
543 atts+40 = 573 times he tried to pass
40 sacks
6.9% of att passes he was sacked
241 yards lost

2009 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

541 atts+50= times he tried to pass
50 sacks
8.5 % of passes att he was sacked
306 yards lost

So Rodgers got about .60 more sacks this year per game.

Thats just over a 1/2 sack per game

Not as bad NOW when comparing it to the 96 team

So for those that say because of Bretts release he wouldnt get that many sacks, I think there is evidence to show sometimes his arm isnt enough to avoid a sack
I think the comparison was between today's Favre, a savy veteran, that has learned over the years to sense the blitz, and Rodgers.

As I'd said before, it was 80% on the OL, and since Tauscher came back, Rodgers "magically" became much better at sensing the blitz.

And it's not just quick releases, go take a look at the game film, and you'll see plenty of 5 second pockets.

Well, they aren't the classic pocket, because Tauscher and Clifton were never able to deliver a pretty round pocket. But it's there.

Another HUGE improvement over the beginning of the season is Brandon Jackson. Handling The Cardinals’ Blitz | Cheesehead TV

Anyway, in my mind Favre is still better at sensing the blitz and throwing the ball quickly.

But those comments that Rodgers just didn't have pocket awareness were completely ludicrous...

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Decent attempt, but Rodgers' receivers are leaps and bounds better than what Brett had in 1996, and also the 4 WR sets that Rodgers enjoys. Better receivers and more of them usually means more open receivers to throw the ball to - usually leading to fewer sacks.
I don't really know about that. We've certainly seen games this season where with this particular set of wideouts and even in 4 WR formations, sacks have been given up. I'd give credit to the mildly improved o-line play, but not very much. It comes down to playcalling (shorter drops for Rodgers, more short slants) and Rodgers' own judgment on which ball to throw: the short 7 yarder, or try and wait for the home run. Overall, I'd say that it comes down to smarter play from our QB and play callers.

OP
OP
longtimefan

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Yeah okay

In 05 a 3.8% rate with MORE pass attempts

we all know how talented that line and the WR were dont we?

Members online

Latest posts