1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

This packer team and sacks compared to

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by longtimefan, Jan 7, 2010.

1. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Now, this is a comparison of a SB winning team and the o-line issues of protection..96 was a mvp year for Brett, he was really in a groove and in his prime..

1996 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

Winning SB team of 96
    543 atts+40 = 573 times he tried to pass
    40 sacks
    6.9% of att passes he was sacked
    241 yards lost

2009 Green Bay Packers Statistics & Players | Pro-Football-Reference.com

541 atts+50= times he tried to pass
    50 sacks
    8.5 % of passes att he was sacked
    306 yards lost

So Rodgers got about .60 more sacks this year per game.

Thats just over a 1/2 sack per game

Not as bad NOW when comparing it to the 96 team

So for those that say because of Bretts release he wouldnt get that many sacks, I think there is evidence to show sometimes his arm isnt enough to avoid a sack

2. Hauschild

Hauschild Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +11
    Decent attempt, but Rodgers' receivers are leaps and bounds better than what Brett had in 1996, and also the 4 WR sets that Rodgers enjoys. Better receivers and more of them usually means more open receivers to throw the ball to - usually leading to fewer sacks.

3. PackersRS

PackersRS Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +980
    I think the comparison was between today's Favre, a savy veteran, that has learned over the years to sense the blitz, and Rodgers.

As I'd said before, it was 80% on the OL, and since Tauscher came back, Rodgers "magically" became much better at sensing the blitz.

And it's not just quick releases, go take a look at the game film, and you'll see plenty of 5 second pockets.

Well, they aren't the classic pocket, because Tauscher and Clifton were never able to deliver a pretty round pocket. But it's there.

Another HUGE improvement over the beginning of the season is Brandon Jackson. Handling The Cardinals’ Blitz | Cheesehead TV

Anyway, in my mind Favre is still better at sensing the blitz and throwing the ball quickly.

But those comments that Rodgers just didn't have pocket awareness were completely ludicrous...

4. Incubes12

Incubes12 Bay Harbor Butcher?

Ratings:
    +317
    I don't really know about that. We've certainly seen games this season where with this particular set of wideouts and even in 4 WR formations, sacks have been given up. I'd give credit to the mildly improved o-line play, but not very much. It comes down to playcalling (shorter drops for Rodgers, more short slants) and Rodgers' own judgment on which ball to throw: the short 7 yarder, or try and wait for the home run. Overall, I'd say that it comes down to smarter play from our QB and play callers.

5. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Yeah okay

In 05 a 3.8% rate with MORE pass attempts

we all know how talented that line and the WR were dont we?