"There are some things I'm looking for .." - Favre

Status
Not open for further replies.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yeah..

(and also to get the crap beaten out of you and to have to pick yourself up off the Lambeau turf countless times this year because TT forgot to "fix" the O-Line..and because he thought offensive guards were just not that important an issue....!)

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
except there are no good guards(you like to ignore facts) and the draft hasnt happened yet, and theres june cuts

but yeah, he "forgot"

ps - didnt you leave? do you ENJOY being a hypocrite?

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
yeah..

(and also to get the crap beaten out of you and to have to pick yourself up off the Lambeau turf countless times this year because TT forgot to "fix" the O-Line..and because he thought offensive guards were just not that important an issue....!)

WOOO HOOO 66 is Back in his Original Form :wink: :wink: :wink:

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
"There are things I am looking for............".

Well, here's what I am looking for. For BF to step up up and show some guts and lead this team regardless of being underdogs or whatever.

He's played on a BUNCH of winning teams, going to the SB twice, playoffs, Division Champs, etc.

Now he endures a lousy year and a losing season and wants to be assured it will be better next year?

Rather than a quote that says '"wait and see"" I would like to see this:

"I know I'm towards the end of my career and that we will be considered underdogs this year but that's alright. I'm going to go out there and play my butt off and challange the guys on this team to do the same." " I want to expererience what Jack Nicklaus felt after he won that last Masters when NOBODY gave him a chance."

and my qoute to you Mr. Favre:
"While most people will never remember what your won-lost record was the last year you played, you have the opportunity to make the memory of how hard you tried, and, the courage you displayed against the odds last forever".

preach it brother warhawk - preach it!!! best post i've seen in weeks!!!!!!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
warhawk said:

Well, here's what I am looking for. For BF to step up up and show some guts and lead this team regardless of being underdogs or whatever.

He's played on a BUNCH of winning teams, going to the SB twice, playoffs, Division Champs, etc.

Now he endures a lousy year and a losing season and wants to be assured it will be better next year?

"I know I'm towards the end of my career and that we will be considered underdogs this year but that's alright. I'm going to go out there and play my butt off and challange the guys on this team to do the same." " I want to expererience what Jack Nicklaus felt after he won that last Masters when NOBODY gave him a chance."

"While most people will never remember what your won-lost record was the last year you played, you have the opportunity to make the memory of how hard you tried, and, the courage you displayed against the odds last forever".

preach it brother warhawk - preach it!!! best post i've seen in weeks!!!!!!!

I agree with all of it BUT give the man some protection !!!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i deeply believe the ONLY thing brett is looking for is some protection. i want an answer from him, you want an answer from him, and the organization wants an answer, but can you blame him? in NFL terms, he's geriatric! what if he does decide to come back, with ****** guards and center, and ends up breaking his hip?! "I wanted to come back and play so bad! I was waiting for the organization to fortify the line so i wouldn't get killed in my final season, but they didn't. and i got sick of waiting for them, so i decided to come back." If he goes out there and gets his knee busted, we probably won't remember that Brett has to walk with a cane for the rest of his life... but brett will remember. it seems like nobody here cares how major this decision is for him! we love to watch him play, but this is the man's life we're talking about. Give him a break.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
i deeply believe the ONLY thing brett is looking for is some protection. i want an answer from him, you want an answer from him, and the organization wants an answer, but can you blame him? in NFL terms, he's geriatric! what if he does decide to come back, with ****** guards and center, and ends up breaking his hip?! "I wanted to come back and play so bad! I was waiting for the organization to fortify the line so i wouldn't get killed in my final season, but they didn't. and i got sick of waiting for them, so i decided to come back." If he goes out there and gets his knee busted, we probably won't remember that Brett has to walk with a cane for the rest of his life... but brett will remember. it seems like nobody here cares how major this decision is for him! we love to watch him play, but this is the man's life we're talking about. Give him a break.

Agree 110 % Protection is the #1 thing I want to see him have and this worries me as well !!!

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can understand his concerns about that, but it isn't really his job to worry about it and with this new scheme being put in place how could he know whether or not the protection will be better or worse? Not to mention the fact that there aren't any quality free agent guards available, and some guards that seem good may not be good for the scheme. I think trust has to be put in the hands of the new O-line coach (im not even going to try to spell his name) and Ted Thompson to put something together. Even last year I thought the pass protection was decent, he did have to scramble around some but it was nowhere near being awful like the Texans, it was mostly their run blocking that sucked.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i agree, there aren't very many good FA linemen. and because of that i'm willing to wait till after the draft to start worrying too much about it. but if you've been playing football as long as favre, you are able to get a feel for who well the scheme is going to work. think about it, you know that new guy at work who you KNOW doesn't belong, then he gets canned? same thing. there aren't any good QB's left to pick up in FA and aaron rogders is the future of the franchise. What's wrong with the fact that brett wants to wait till he gets a feel for his protection before he makes the decision of a lifetime... TROM. i will wait till may if i have to, and i think you will, too. am i right?

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
warhawk said:

beautiful, man.....beautiful!

Ok my friends, there is a little difference here.

Mr. Nicklaus was hitting some little white balls with a stick and had nothing to loose.

Mr. Favre will have to stick inside of a bad pocket as long as he can and then run to avoid having his balls hit by a big DL,DE or LB.

Maybe TT will have the balls to stand instead of Brett, or tell Brett he need a decision by today or at least stand in front of the media and tell the truth: I want my team and I am in Rebuild mode, and yes I dont want Brett back, he is free to play for another team and then run before someone sticks it in his butt or wait in hidding until Brett comes as other team QB and sticks it back to Lord TT.

Anyway it is sticks and balls, Jack showed he had balls, Brett had showed he has balls and it is TT´s time to show he has a pair of his own.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they've said they're not in rebuild mode, but they're lying, and chamuko knows

(Chamuko, PM me, and educate me so i stop wasting space in this thread, you seem to have more insight on behind the scenes activitiy than most)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
they've said they're not in rebuild mode, but they're lying, and chamuko knows

(Chamuko, PM me, and educate me so i stop wasting space in this thread, you seem to have more insight on behind the scenes activitiy than most)

Please PM me too Chamuko, I would seriously like to know "What the hell might be going on right now" Cheers !!!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko DID PM me! See, we can all get along, debate,etc. its all good in the hood, yo. G-force.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Chamuko DID PM me! See, we can all get along, debate,etc. its all good in the hood, yo. G-force".

How can you tell trom's not from "The Stones" generation lol ? Just having fun trom !!

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:
...So, I believe he is looking for a better line, especially that his friend and center are gone. He doesn't need to prove himself anymore, and if he is just going out there to have fun, he needs to have the best line he can. Upgraded receivers won't hurt....
4packgirl said:
if i was a qb, i'd be looking for protection as well as positive additions to the running game, & a kicker to help get some decent field position. that may sound a bit fundamental for the FA/Draft/statistic junkies out there but hey, i'm a girl - cut me some slack!! :)
4packgirl said:
DePack said:
4packgirl said:
if i was a qb, i'd be looking for protection as well as positive additions to the running game, & a kicker to help get some decent field position. that may sound a bit fundamental for the FA/Draft/statistic junkies out there but hey, i'm a girl - cut me some slack!! :)

Probably the best post on this thread.
I'm sure Brett has told TT what he is looking for. The problem seems to be that he hasn't told tromadz. Favre's got alot of nerve :roll: :roll:

wow - thanks DePack. :oops: :wink: :D
Oh, the sexism in this world today....

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
don't start with me, jj!! or you'll be swimmin with the frozen fishes like trommykins!!! j/k!!! :)

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brett is going to see better protection than last year for two reasons.

First, bringing in JJ, the zone blocking scheme, and, improving from 31st in rushing will help. Being so one dimensional hurt us big time last year. The opposing "D" had way to many opportunities to tee off on Favre.

Second, Sherman's version of the West Coast was much more vertical and his playbook had many down field pass plays. That's fine when you have a running game and you can keep the "D" honest.

But it means QB get's hammered with no running game.

The new "O" will be more of a timing, catch and run, passing game that doesn't ask the qb to stand back their like a sitting duck.

WE ALL want to see improved "O" line play. Between the guys we have now that can excel in this scheme and who will be brought in by the time June cuts happen, I expect we will see that improvement.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chamuko,

I do not believe for a moment BF is worried about sacks in the mix of all this. Or getting hurt either.
We finished 4th best in sacks against last year. Better than the Steelers and tied with Seattle.

We scored 18 points a game. That's what's bothering him.

He's been a courageous leader his whole career and now he acting a little childish like a kid at the park that will only play if he get's picked by the best team or he's going to take his ball and go home.

What could very well happen here is that TT could put a competiitve team together only to lose a lot of games because of inadequate QB play as the result of him retiring. What's he say then? OOPS?

After all, this team won't be final until after the draft and after June cuts. It won't hurt my feelings if TT holds back a little cash until June as there are always some good players let go and fewer teams with money left to spend.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole soap-opera might have been avoided IF some good OGs had been available for TT to grab. Hutch was the only one, and which of us would have paid the insane price Minny paid? I, for one, WOULD have won the bidding for Bentley to shore up the middle. So, IMO, there isn't much Favre can look at and see improvement. TT has his schedule and Favre has his. I doubt that the "twain shall meet." I know this ranks of heresy on any Packer board but I'll say it anyway. TT IS REBUILDING, and Favre is NOT in his plans. Brett may be a short-time band-aid but is not the cure. I, for (maybe the only) one want to move on with the re-building and that means finding out if Rodgers is or is not the QB of the future. Favre is not. Does this mean immediate pain? Quite possibly. But maybe not as bad as many think. Either way, we will see incremental improvement in a few areas this year...running game probably, and running D possibly with better LBers available. I believe a much improved fighting spirit will show this year mainly due to more respected coaching.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
We scored 18 points a game. That's what's bothering him.

According to NFL.com, Brett Favre was ranked #3 overall in passing in 2005 with 3881 yards. Tom Brady was #1 overall with 4110 yards and Trent Green was #2 with 4014. Now, one can analyse this to death, but with the 3rd overall in passing, why did we only score an average of 18 points a game and finished the season at 4-12?

Our defense was ranked #7 overall, so I find it hard to believe that was a major factor.

However, we had NO running game whatsoever. Gado was the only bright spot all season, however he came into the game a little late. Green was having a horrendous year prior to his injury, which caused many on this board to claim he was "over the hill" and "out of gas" (regardless of the fact he was a pro-bowler the year before). We need an o-line that not only can protect the passer, but open holes for our running backs as well. Right now, we do not have that. You can claim all you want that MM and his "zone blocking" defense is the cure to all our problems in GB, but we have a new coach who's legacy includes such powerhouse offenses as the 2000-2004 New Orleans Saints and the 32nd ranked 2005 San Francisco 49ers. For some reason, this does not instill much faith in me about MM's coaching ability. IMO, the biggest mistake TT has made to date was hiring MM over Jim Bates. Bates turned our pathetic defense into a top 10 in one season, and has had proven himself on every team he has coached on. If MM's coaching is so good, then what did the 49ers finsih 32nd overall in offense last year, and why isn't EVERY team in the NFL using the allegedly superior "zone blocking" defense? Can you blame Favre for being a little hesitant to come back and lead basically the same team as last year, with the addition of an unproven coaching staff???

Of course, you will probably claim that Favre's interceptions were the cause of or dismal record.

Warhawk said:
What could very well happen here is that TT could put a competiitve team together only to lose a lot of games because of inadequate QB play as the result of him retiring. What's he say then? OOPS?

So he is supposed to play forever? Or is he supposed to just take the same ridiculous criticism if they don't win? Haven't most of you been claiming it was Favre's interceptions that cost GB the season?

Favre is going to retire. Maybe not this year, but I don't see him under center in 2007. Comments like the one you made above make it clear to me that you are all ready to blame Favre for ******** the team once he does. Forget about the 15 or so seasons you cheered him on when he played. Forget about the 3 time MVP awards. Forget about him bringing home the Lombardi in Super Bowl XXXI. He will be forever known to you as the guy who screwed GB over when "he retired and left that kid in charge"... and you wonder why WinnipegPackFan called you "ingrates".

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Anubis...

GB averaged 18 points last year because opposing defenses...

A. Didn't have to respect GB's running game...
B. Once you double covered Donald Driver...nobody else could get open..(especially near the end zone...)
C. The ridiculous predicability of the play calling made it laughibly easy for opposing defenses to defend the Pack (as if they were in the GB huddle!)...(Defenses were literally laughing at the Packers...and yet somehow Favre finished 3rd in passing...amazing!)

Go figure...

This is what was wrong with the team last year...and I'm sure, in Favre's eyes...he sees that it is still a problem that hasn't been corrected by the lackluster GM abilities of TT....

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Anubis...

GB average 18 points last year because opposing defenses...

A. Didn't have to respect GB's running game...
B. Once you double covered Donald Driver...nobody else could get open..especially near the end zone...
C. The ridiculous predicability of the play calling made it laughibly easy for opposing defenses to defend the Pack...(Defenses were literally laughing at the Packers...and yet somehow Favre finished 3rd in passing...)

Go figure...

This is what was wrong with the team last year...and I'm sure, in Favre's eyes...he sees that it is still a problem that hasn't been corrected by the lackluster GM ability of TT....

P@ck,

Foe once we are in 100% agreement. The complete lack of a running game made it far too easy for opposing defenses to put double-coverage on Driver, and we were lacking Walker as a deep threat.

Obviously, injuries had a lot to do with our one-sided offense, but we need an o-line that can open holes for Gado, Green and Davenport. Green was having a horrendous year prior to his injury, and a lot of that can be attibuted directly to a weak o-line.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never was putting BF under the bus for anything to do with last year. He ended up being a one man show and it turned out to be a tough year.

What I said was I don't think he's worried about sacks or injuries or anything like that.( This was an opinion based on other comments in this thread). He knows the "O" has to function better, they have to be able to run it better, and, they have to score more than 18 pts a game if they expect to win.

What I am saying is we will not know what the roster will be until after the draft and really until after June cuts.
If, in fact, that roster proves to create a competitive ballclub shy of a QB and we lose a lot of games he knows we could have won with him in there is a chance he's taking by vitue of wanting to judge how competitive we may be next year......now.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
I never was putting BF under the bus for anything to do with last year. He ended up being a one man show and it turned out to be a tough year.

Agreed.

warhawk said:
What I said was I don't think he's worried about sacks or injuries or anything like that.( This was an opinion based on other comments in this thread). He knows the "O" has to function better, they have to be able to run it better, and, they have to score more than 18 pts a game if they expect to win.

True. However every team in the league (with the possible exception of the Steelers) knows they have to play better if they expect to have a chance at the Super Bowl. However, you and I know both know that some will perform better, and some will not. You cannot, by any stretch of the imagination, "know" that GB is going to play better this year anymore than you can state with 100% accuracy that they will score more than 18 points per game.

warhawk said:
What I am saying is we will not know what the roster will be until after the draft and really until after June cuts. If, in fact, that roster proves to create a competitive ballclub shy of a QB and we lose a lot of games he knows we could have won with him in there is a chance he's taking by vitue of wanting to judge how competitive we may be next year......now.

By the same token, after the June cuts we could be looking at a team with no improvements on the o-line saddled with an unproven coach who was the OC of the 32nd ranked offense in the league last year.

IMO, Favre is completely justified taking shots at TT. Last season, TT's ability to improve the team were crippled by Sherman's ridiculous spending. As a result, Favre suffered his first losing season while QB of the Packers (while still ranking the 3rd overall in passing yards in the NFL). This year, TT had over $30 million to spend. Granted the guard situation was slim in the FA, but TT has made minimal moves to making GB competitive again. What was he waiting for? I can understand not jumping in and dropping 30 mil (aka Queens-style), but he has let a bad situation become worse since this season started. Who exactly is our kicker going to be? We could have resigned Longwell, or aggressively pursued Vinatieri, but we didn't. Now we are without an experienced kicker in one of the harshest weather stadiums in the league. In addition, he let our center walk as well. Now instead of just needing to replace two guards, we need two guards, a center (which are the 3 people closest to Favre) and a kicker (anyone who feels a kicker is not important should review exactly how New England won their last 3 Superbowls).

As a fan, I can sit back and give TT the benefit of the doubt. But I can totally see why Favre, with his competitive nature and love of the game, is now taking his time with the most difficult decision of his career. It is not something that is deserving of me, you or the armchair quarterbacks on this board to pass judgement on.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Status
Not open for further replies.