"There are some things I'm looking for .." - Favre

Status
Not open for further replies.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"There are some things I'm looking for in the team and what they're trying to do. I guess if those don't come together, I guess I won't play. It's just kind of wait and see. "

Like what? Damn you Brett, you will make bad jokes, tell the team it's "wait and see" but you won't tell us what you want!

Do you want a running game?
Do you want an improved defense?
Do you want workout machines back and no free weights?

WHAT, DAMN YOU! LOL! WHAT!

I think the offseason has gone pretty well so far. The only weaknesses I(personally) see are:

1. Offensive line - Guards are still big weak spots
2. Secondary - Carroll still needs time to be a starter
3. Linebackers - All we have is Nick Barnett really

OFFENSIVE LINE
- If brett is waiting for (quality)guards to be picked up before he makes his decision, he is going to be waiting until late April.

THERE ARE NO GOOD GUARDS IN FREE AGENCY!

SECONDARY
- There are rumors of people(Woodson,Plummer) coming in, and it looks as if TT is seriously looking for an upgrade here...THANK GOD.

LINEBACKERS
- As each day passes, it looks more and more like we will get A.J. Hawk. Ben Taylor was brought in and looks to be a starter (unless he gets beat out or gets hurt)

AJ HAWK\NICK BARNETT\BEN TAYLOR looks nice to me.

BUT what does brett want? Those are the weaknesses of the team according to me. What are the weaknesses according to brett?

You'd like to think it is the o-line, since he knows FIRST hand that the o-line was not very good!

But there are no good FA guards in free agency, and TT will have to draft a guard and\or wait for june cuts to pick someone up.

If this is what brett is seriously looking at before he decides....wow...the draft doesn't even end until April 30th.

I want brett to come back, and I want the o-line to be good. I'd LOVE For some quality FA guards to magically appear, and have TT get them.

If TT gets a couple dinky guards in free agency now, will brett come back? Why would he come back for a couple underperforming guards?

Don't tell me brett's indecision doesn't affect free agency.

But how long are we gonna wait? Till TT gets soe dinky guards? Till the draft? Till June?

COME BACK BRETT!....NOW!

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
At the beginning of the season last year:

GB had a proven running game in Ahman/Davenport/Fisher/Henderson

GB had Walker coming off that great season plus the other nice receivers we had

GB lost their guards, but still had Flanny

GB was excited about their new defense with Carroll gaining more experience and rookie Nick Collins

At the beginning of this year's season:

GB's running game is bad. Ahman is coming off a season ending injury, Gado, while having a great year last year, still just has one good season under his belt (which is everyone's stand on JWalk, so don't mind me if I use it on Gado); Davenport is coming off a season ending injury (see above sentence); Henderson is another year older

Obviously, JWalk might not be there, and that whole situation is shady; the rest of the core is definately not the best group of receivers to ever grace Lambeau, while not the worst, but less than last year.

GB lost Flanny; no start-worthy guards yet.

Bates is gone; GB has added a little to the defense, but not enough to really have a great impact on the league

You can never bet on a player in the draft no matter who it is

In conclusion, I can see why Brett is making such a fuss about whether he is coming back or not becuase it doesn't look like TT is too concered with improving the team, even enought to get Favre back for another year. And overall, I see that the team is worse than last year.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JeezusJuice said:

GB's running game is bad. Ahman is coming off a season ending injury, Gado, while having a great year last year, still just has one good season under his belt (which is everyone's stand on JWalk, so don't mind me if I use it on Gado); Davenport is coming off a season ending injury (see above sentence); Henderson is another year older

Ahman\Gado\Najeh is a solid RB group. Ahman is ahead of schedule, Gado did great things with a BAD offensive line(give him a good one and..) and Najeh is just a solid backup when healthy. Hopefully the new trainers can keep him healthy.

JeezusJuice said:
Bates is gone; GB has added a little to the defense, but not enough to really have a great impact on the league

Bates IS gone, but a coach who has worked with Bates for multiple years has the job now, and is keeping the same scheme.

GB also added Manuel(who is better than Roman, supposedly) and Ryan Pickett(who led DTs in tackles in the NFL).

Lets not forget the guys coming back:Kampman,Jenkins,KGB,Montgomery,Cole,Barnett,Collins,and Al Harris

The defense was the only GOOD thing about last years team, and it looks like it will be better (better players, AND the 2nd year of the same scheme, WITH a coach who was on the team last year)

As far as our recievers go:

Driver,Gardner,Boreigter > Driver,Chatman,Ferguson

and don't forget Franks is back(Favres red zone target) and up and comer Donald Lee.

In Conclusion, those areas are fine.

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That above post just proves the point that what a team looks like on paper before the season starts doesn't necessarily show up in the regular season. It is impossible to know if a team is going to be good or bad that way. It is stupid to judge how good a team is going to be based on their preseason moves. Especially when there is a massive turnover in coaching and different schemes and such. Like what was posted before about Coston, where Atlanta was going to draft him because he fit into their scheme, but the Packers took him first. Perhaps he didn't show he could be a starter in last years scheme but maybe he can with zone blocking. You can't sit back and decide a team is better or worse based on the offseason. Brett should base his decision on whether or not he thinks he can physically and mentally be able to, whether he can still play with the same heart he has before and have fun, not based on a superficial feeling about what the team did in the offseason.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
JeezusJuice said:

Ahman\Gado\Najeh is a solid RB group. Ahman is ahead of schedule, Gado did great things with a BAD offensive line(give him a good one and..) and Najeh is just a solid backup when healthy. Hopefully the new trainers can keep him healthy.
Now they will be without the center in addition.

tromadz said:
JeezusJuice said:

Bates IS gone, but a coach who has worked with Bates for multiple years has the job now, and is keeping the same scheme.

GB also added Manuel(who is better than Roman, supposedly) and Ryan Pickett(who led DTs in tackles in the NFL).

Lets not forget the guys coming back:Kampman,Jenkins,KGB,Montgomery,Cole,Barnett,Collins,and Al Harris

The defense was the only GOOD thing about last years team, and it looks like it will be better (better players, AND the 2nd year of the same scheme, WITH a coach who was on the team last year)
You may have a point, but I don't see as much of an improvement as I would expect, especially given the cap room and the big name FAs.
tromadz said:
As far as our recievers go:

Driver,Gardner,Boreigter > Driver,Chatman,Ferguson
Not proven in GB.

tromadz said:
and don't forget Franks is back(Favres red zone target) and up and comer Donald Lee.
Had them last year.

tromadz said:
In Conclusion, those areas are fine.
I disagree, and zOMG @ your joke on my joke!

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its easy to say they're not proven in GB, when they havent played there yet. What kind of argument is that?

and it's April 2nd, you think this is the roster we'll have? no guards and center? and carroll as the starting CB?

yikes.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
That above post just proves the point that what a team looks like on paper before the season starts doesn't necessarily show up in the regular season. It is impossible to know if a team is going to be good or bad that way. It is stupid to judge how good a team is going to be based on their preseason moves. Especially when there is a massive turnover in coaching and different schemes and such. Like what was posted before about Coston, where Atlanta was going to draft him because he fit into their scheme, but the Packers took him first. Perhaps he didn't show he could be a starter in last years scheme but maybe he can with zone blocking. You can't sit back and decide a team is better or worse based on the offseason. Brett should base his decision on whether or not he thinks he can physically and mentally be able to, whether he can still play with the same heart he has before and have fun, not based on a superficial feeling about what the team did in the offseason.
:roll: What are all of these threads for then? Why do we even need to know football exists during the offseason if this were true. I totally disagree with you on this part.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well, i see it like this.

when a move is made on a specific area, like DT and Safety(Pickett and manuel) then those areas should be allowed to be judged however you feel.

but...

if no move has been made (LG,RG,LB,CB) why judge them? thats retarded. wait till GB fills those spots, and if the players in there arent up to your standards, bash away...but you have to wait for free agency and the draft to end.

If TT gets a CB who cant tie his own shoes, then go to town...

but you have to wait until the position has been tinkered with before judgment.

thats my take on it anyway, and how i do it, but of course you guys can do it however you want. USA! USA!

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Its easy to say they're not proven in GB, when they havent played there yet. What kind of argument is that?
I said that because you are saying that the three we have now are > the three we had last season

trodamz said:
and it's April 2nd, you think this is the roster we'll have? no guards and center? and carroll as the starting CB?

yikes.
tromadz said:
What kind of argument is that?
dot.

We're not in the season yet, what else do I have to compare it to?

yikeerszzz

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so we cant judge players who have played in the year for years, UNLESS they have played in GB?

That....doesnt....ugh...im done with this thread, this is for others to discuss

back on topic:

What do YOU think Favre is looking at when juding free agency?

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
well, i see it like this.

when a move is made on a specific area, like DT and Safety(Pickett and manuel) then those areas should be allowed to be judged however you feel.

but...

if no move has been made (LG,RG,LB,CB) why judge them? thats retarded. wait till GB fills those spots, and if the players in there arent up to your standards, bash away...but you have to wait for free agency and the draft to end.

If TT gets a CB who cant tie his own shoes, then go to town...

but you have to wait until the position has been tinkered with before judgment.

thats my take on it anyway, and how i do it, but of course you guys can do it however you want. USA! USA!
Nice, nice, nice.

But, don't you think you are being hypocritical saying this about how the free agency isn't over, and we can't judge the season on what we look like now, while at the same time saying this stuff about how Favre is wanting the team to make some moves? The free agency isn't now yet, now, boy. :D

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
we definitely need an upgrade a WR. assuming Walker is going to comply and renig on everything he's said is..well, idiotic.

as far as the Boreigter signing, i can't figure out why anybody would be excited about that. look at the massive stats he's amassed in 4 years, on a team with a pretty pitiful receiving core.

we're not fine at WR.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Herron will beat out Davenport.

Foregoing #5 and getting additional 2nds and 3rds will help the team a lot.
Ted will have at least 5 first day picks.

Trading down in the first round will add 2nd and 3rd round picks that will be better than 5th rounder Coston, 7th rounders Lucier, Wells, Whitticker, and free agents Barry and White. Getting an OG and OT

There will be a good LB, DT, and WR there also.

This will be another draft with more than 10 picks with perhaps 6 first day picks. There will be enough quality to aleviate any concerns Brett may have. He wants better WR's and there will likely be one found at the final cuts before the season.

Unfortunately for Brett, WR will be a weak point on the team this year.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was assuming javon stays. if javon leaves we'll obviously get someone else.

JeezusJuice

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
so we cant judge players who have played in the year for years, UNLESS they have played in GB?

That....doesnt....ugh...im done with this thread, this is for others to discuss
How was Gado do in KC? Did he do better in GB or in KC? I forgot. That....doesn't...,.ugh....omg...

tromadz said:
back on topic:

What do YOU think Favre is looking at when juding free agency?
At this point in his career, he can't do anymore--he has already won championships, he is in the HoF, he has made his mark in the NFL forever.

Now, I think that he just wants to keep playing and keep getting paid because he feels he can, and he still loves the game. So, I believe he is looking for a better line, especially that his friend and center are gone. He doesn't need to prove himself anymore, and if he is just going out there to have fun, he needs to have the best line he can. Upgraded receivers won't hurt. I'm sure he could care less about the defense because he just wants to play, and while another championship would be nice for him, I'm positive he could live with himself without another.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if i was a qb, i'd be looking for protection as well as positive additions to the running game, & a kicker to help get some decent field position. that may sound a bit fundamental for the FA/Draft/statistic junkies out there but hey, i'm a girl - cut me some slack!! :)

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Last year in free agency, the Packers lost two of the best guards in the league, Mike Wahle and Marco Rivera, the keys to their running game. This year, they've lost center Mike Flanagan.

What have they done to replace them?

Practically nothing.

The Packers, approximately $20 million under the salary cap, have let the core of their offensive line - the three guys closest to Favre when they line up - go. They have not adequately replaced them, either through free agency or the draft.

The draft?

The Packers, who badly need speed at wide receiver, used last year's first pick to obtain Aaron Rodgers, a quarterback out of California, their quarterback of the future.

Yes, the Packers have to consider life after Favre. And time will tell if the choice of Rodgers was a wise one. Insiders say that the early returns have not been positive.

Favre's very nature often made a bad situation worse last season. His line was decimated. His receivers weren't getting open. His front-line running backs were hurt. So what does Favre do? He takes everything on his shoulders and tries to make something happen. Most times, predictably, it wasn't good.

One of the oldest adages in sports is about the guy who will go down fighting. Brett Favre, instead, will go down slinging.

Again, it's his nature. You see it in his golf. Favre will hit a ball into all those thousands of pine trees at the Hattiesburg Country Club. Nearly anybody else would see a forest between him and the pin. But Favre sees the two-foot opening and goes for it. That's who he is.

That's why I have felt all along that despite the Packers' dismal situation, Favre would come back for one more season in 2006 and go for it.

Even if it's not necessarily the wiser thing to do".

Aother take on what the Packers have done to keep Brett from retirement and it's another take that does not bode well for TT and Company !!!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, what Favre is looking for is GB to to something, ANYTHING about an O-line that has more holes in it than a block of swiss cheese. As stated before, the man has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone. He is a guaranteed 1st ballot HoF QB who is arguably the best ever to play the game. He has set countless records within the NFL, and has won it's ultimate trophy, not mention being named MVP of the league for an unprecedented 3 years.

What he is looking for now is protection.

Why, after all he has accomplished above, would he want to risk a crippling injury at 36 years old, at a stage in his career when there is very little he has not accomplished already? Obviously, football is a violent sport where people can get hurt at any time. However, our o-line is pathetic, at best. Would you want to be remembered as the man who won 3 NFL MVPs and Super Bowl XXXI, or the guy who was wheeled out on a stretcher in the final game of his career (a la Joe Theisman)?

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4packgirl said:
if i was a qb, i'd be looking for protection as well as positive additions to the running game, & a kicker to help get some decent field position. that may sound a bit fundamental for the FA/Draft/statistic junkies out there but hey, i'm a girl - cut me some slack!! :)

Probably the best post on this thread.

I'm sure Brett has told TT what he is looking for. The problem seems to be that he hasn't told tromadz. Favre's got alot of nerve :roll: :roll:

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
4packgirl said:

I'm sure Brett has told TT what he is looking for. The problem seems to be that he hasn't told tromadz. Favre's got alot of nerve :roll: :roll:

wow - thanks DePack. :oops: :wink: :D

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chatman got more receptions, more yards and more TD by himself than Garder and Boerigter mutiplied by 3 in yards, by 3 in receptions and by infinite in TD as they got 0 TD´s last year..

So we are not better there Boerigter got less than 100 yards himself in the whole year, so he is nothing more than a bench warmer.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers, who badly need speed at wide receiver, used last year's first pick to obtain Aaron Rodgers, a quarterback out of California, their quarterback of the future.

Yes, the Packers have to consider life after Favre. And time will tell if the choice of Rodgers was a wise one. Insiders say that the early returns have not been positive.

At the moment, it is very possible that AR will be the only qb on the roster worth a lick. He was projected to go #1, he was best available, and the little that he did play, he didn't look too bad.

The Packers, approximately $20 million under the salary cap, have let the core of their offensive line - the three guys closest to Favre when they line up - go. They have not adequately replaced them, either through free agency or the draft.

They weren't 20 mil under the cap last year...they didn't sign those guards because they didn't have the money...and Flanny's productivity has dropped a lot (yes injuries...but he's 32? too) lately.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
4packgirl said:

Assumptions are the king of all ****ups, depack.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"There are things I am looking for............".

Well, here's what I am looking for. For BF to step up up and show some guts and lead this team regardless of being underdogs or whatever.

He's played on a BUNCH of winning teams, going to the SB twice, playoffs, Division Champs, etc.

Now he endures a lousy year and a losing season and wants to be assured it will be better next year?

Rather than a quote that says '"wait and see"" I would like to see this:

"I know I'm towards the end of my career and that we will be considered underdogs this year but that's alright. I'm going to go out there and play my butt off and challange the guys on this team to do the same." " I want to expererience what Jack Nicklaus felt after he won that last Masters when NOBODY gave him a chance."

and my qoute to you Mr. Favre:
"While most people will never remember what your won-lost record was the last year you played, you have the opportunity to make the memory of how hard you tried, and, the courage you displayed against the odds last forever".

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
"There are things I am looking for............".

Well, here's what I am looking for. For BF to step up up and show some guts and lead this team regardless of being underdogs or whatever.

He's played on a BUNCH of winning teams, going to the SB twice, playoffs, Division Champs, etc.

Now he endures a lousy year and a losing season and wants to be assured it will be better next year?

Rather than a quote that says '"wait and see"" I would like to see this:

"I know I'm towards the end of my career and that we will be considered underdogs this year but that's alright. I'm going to go out there and play my butt off and challange the guys on this team to do the same." " I want to expererience what Jack Nicklaus felt after he won that last Masters when NOBODY gave him a chance."

and my qoute to you Mr. Favre:
"While most people will never remember what your won-lost record was the last year you played, you have the opportunity to make the memory of how hard you tried, and, the courage you displayed against the odds last forever".

beautiful, man.....beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts