The Value of Run Defense

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't have changed their philosophy based on a single loss. It would have been smarter to improve the chances to win a Super Bowl with Rodgers this season.
This seems like a very Ted Thompson-like approach. It often appeared he was trying to build the team for the future rather than winning now. I'm sure that's smart in many ways, but then we got this effect where it always felt like we were kicking things down the road rather than addressing current needs. Which was okay for awhile, but then Rodgers window started to close (although fans denied it).

The recent draft almost suggests the front office considers it closed. Which maybe it is, when you consider how much of the cap Rodgers is eating up. The trend in the NFL these days is less expensive quarterbacks wins championships.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The Packers shouldn't have changed their philosophy based on a single loss. It would have been smarter to improve the chances to win a Super Bowl with Rodgers this season.

This is an ironic statement, and many fans have cited that game as the reason why the Packers need to make "personnel decision X."

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last statement is almost certainly false, and insupportable.

So you believe a backup QB, backup RB, and rookie FB are going to make significant contributions to the offense this year? That's optimistic! I hope the latter two prove true!

Reaction score
Im no expert, but it seems to stop the run we need to get back to fundamentals;

“3-4 Defense
The 3-4 defense has three defensive linemen and four linebackers. The linebacker positions in the 3-4
Outside Linebackers - These two linebackers play on opposite sides of the field. They are like small and fast defensive ends. They often rush the passer and cover the edge keeping the running backs from reaching the corner.
Inside Linebackers - These two linebackers cover the middle of the field. They fill in the gaps and make tackles on running backs who make it through the defensive line.
Gap Responsibility
The linebackers work with the defensive line on gap responsibility. The space between each offensive lineman is called a gap. Between the center and the guards are the A gaps and between the guards and the tackles are the B gaps. The linebackers are to fill in the gaps. As the running backs try to get through gaps in the defensive line created by the blockers, the linebackers fill in the gaps and make the tackle.
Defending the Run
The linebackers are the main tacklers and run defenders on the team. The defensive linemen take on the blockers and keep the linebackers free to move and tackle the running backs”

In moving forward, there are 2 primary ways to improve your Run D that make sense to me.
Modify schematics.
a. Change the default defense structure.
b. Have additional Run heavy packages
c. Better training and implementation of a counter strategy.
d. Be more proactive/aggressive (there needs to be better anticipation and less dancing, shoot a LB early and bring SS up to cover that hole in the LB’s wake etc..)
Change personnel
a. Bring in more talent by trading, draft, FA
b. Look internally for better prospect fit
c. Better training/clarification through film and adapting to the known strengths of the above personnel.

There are better Run Defenders already on the 2019 depth chart. Rashan Gary is just one example of a player with a clear propensity to shore up the Run, how quickly we forget that Gary’s first season was practically a Redshirt type year and his much of his already limited usage was glimpses of him rushing on passing downs. Granted, he was rightfully overshadowed by Kyler Fackrell, who was peaking and coming off a double digit Sack season. However, Fackrells is the past and the future is now Gary.

Let’s take a look at the Fackrell analysis going into the draft by “Draftwire”.
Cons
-Doesn’t possess an overly explosive first step off the snap
-Struggles to find the football quickly from an off-ball position at times
-If his initial move stalls out, struggles to win
-He’s not a pure power player, and won’t blow anyone away with his frame, but Fackrell sets a stout edge and has the functional strength to redirect runs back inside. I love his fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker who can be a productive in a heavier pass-rush role.
-The Aggies defender bounced back from an ACL injury to post an impressive senior season, but the durability factor remains, and teams may want Fackrell to bulk up some at the next level.
Pros
-He’s a really solid football player who can cover, set the edge and get after the passer.
- I think he’s a better pure pass rusher than he gets credit for

Rashan Gary
Cons:
-Production as rusher failed to match traits and talent
-Rush plan is somewhat basic at this stage of development
-Long-arm bull rush is his only real rush tool
-Hands lack skill and have yet to be unlocked as rush weapon
-Lacks classic hip bend to dip and run the arc when rushing
-Lacks instincts and awareness for misdirections and counter
-Doesn't come to balance consistently as open-field tackler

Pros:
-“His size, strength and motor could make him a plus run defender in short order. He has elite potential if a defensive coordinator can harness the energy and focus his approach

From Lance Zerlein:
  • Freaky triangle of height, weight and speed
  • Active and strong with NFL size
  • Has all the tools to set a strong edge
  • Forceful into initial contact at point of attack
  • Good contact balance, thanks to sturdy base
  • Has disruptive qualities when he bends and plays low
  • Very good pursuit speed from backside and makes tackles down the field
  • Fires out of a track stance with energy and twitch
  • Can make conversion of speed-to-power look easy
  • Uses long-arm bull-rush to collapse the edge into quarterback
  • Strong enough to overtake tackles in late phase of the rush
  • Quick laterally and it shows up on twists

• Now which of these two prospects would you use for fixing a Run Defense issue?? It’s clear to me GB needs to focus on stopping the Run. Having essentially a 6.8 draft grade DE who’s strength is in the Running game sitting on the bench is not the answer. One mistake that was made as we look back is Pettine should’ve lobbied to phase Fackrell out and phase Gary in late in the season. There needs to be specific focus and attention by the coaches at
  • Modify (b, c and d)
  • Personnel (b and c)

Last edited:

hasamikun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its so silly that people always asume that Packers FO gave up on winning a SB in the next 2,3 years just because they didnt draft a WR. Its pretty obvious that the Packers started changing philosophy with Gutey LaFleur becoming the HC.
Also, as Dantes already stated, fans and media were crying for a change after the 49ers games. But suddenly this is wrong too. I am sure that the FO cant win, no matter what they do.

This seems like a very Ted Thompson-like approach. It often appeared he was trying to build the team for the future rather than winning now. I'm sure that's smart in many ways, but then we got this effect where it always felt like we were kicking things down the road rather than addressing current needs. Which was okay for awhile, but then Rodgers window started to close (although fans denied it).

The recent draft almost suggests the front office considers it closed. Which maybe it is, when you consider how much of the cap Rodgers is eating up. The trend in the NFL these days is less expensive quarterbacks wins championships.

You draft for the future. Thats the point behind the draft. If you draft for a need you have this season, you are doing something wrong. Gutekunst still is a Thompson guy and you can see it. But he also is more aggressive in FA and the draft and that is a good thing. As written above, they sure as hell dont see the window closed. They went all in with the personnel needed for the new scheme. The new scheme already worked wonders last season. There are more ways to improve the team for a potential playoff run than just draft a WR high and hope he magically delivers from the beginning

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its so silly that people always asume that Packers FO gave up on winning a SB in the next 2,3 years just because they didnt draft a WR.
It's not so much about the WR, WRs usually take a few years to develop. It's more about drafting Rodgers successor at this particular time.

I hope you're right though. I do like the Dillon pick. And I'm not saying I hate the Love pick, it's more of a wait and see type of thing. If he doesn't pan out, this is going to be known as Gutenkurst's Folly. I admire the stones on him for taking the risk.

The plan could work. Not sure how it puts us in a prime position to win it all this year though. In fact, I've been thinking there probably wouldn't be any football this year anyway, and then Rodgers could possibly be traded next year? Or would the contracts be kicked one year down the road? I've been changing my mind lately anyway, maybe there will be football this year. People are getting sick of the lockdown. Not sure how many fans there will be, if any, but that television money will be a big incentive.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not a tantrum to say that using the top three picks in the draft on guys that will probably not make any material impact this season doesn't appear to be an improvement on offense.

So you believe a backup QB, backup RB, and rookie FB are going to make significant contributions to the offense this year? That's optimistic! I hope the latter two prove true!

Love, barring injury to Rodgers, is not playing this season.

Dillon is probably the RB2 and could be in line for a lot of work.

Deguara is an h-back, and will see a lot of time on the field as long as he's read to handle it. This offense uses these players a lot (see Juzczyk in SF, Smith Jr in MIN, etc).

So yeah, it's insupportable to say that as a group they will "probably not make any material impact this season."

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers were one win away from playing in the Super Bowl last season. It would be stupid to consider Rodgers' championship window to be closed.

It’s clear to me GB needs to focus on stopping the Run.

It's true the Packers would benefit from an improved run defense but they shouldn't shift their focus that way based on a single game.

Its pretty obvious that the Packers started changing philosophy with Gutey LaFleur becoming the HC.

I'm asking once again because I haven't received a reasonable answer so far. What was the point of extending Rodgers with two years left on his contract in 2018 as well as restructuring the deal at the end of last season to add even more dead money down the road if there was no plan of tailoring the offense around his strengths???

Also, as Dantes already stated, fans and media were crying for a change after the 49ers games. But suddenly this is wrong too. I am sure that the FO cant win, no matter what they do.

I didn't see any fan crying for a change after the loss to the Niners. They were advocating to add more talent to the passing offense as well s the run defense though. Unfortunately that didn't happen.

You draft for the future. Thats the point behind the draft. If you draft for a need you have this season, you are doing something wrong.

The draft should serve both to improve the team for the upcoming season as well as years down the road. While Gutekunst might have achieved the latter he ignored immediate needs.

They went all in with the personnel needed for the new scheme. The new scheme already worked wonders last season. There are more ways to improve the team for a potential playoff run than just draft a WR high and hope he magically delivers from the beginning

Just for the record, the Packers scored the exact same amount of points last season as in 2018 when McCarthy was run out of town.

Love, barring injury to Rodgers, is not playing this season.

Deguara is an h-back, and will see a lot of time on the field as long as he's read to handle it. This offense uses these players a lot (see Juzczyk in SF, Smith Jr in MIN, etc).

So yeah, it's insupportable to say that as a group they will "probably not make any material impact this season."

Gutekunst selecting only one starter at a position of need in the first three rounds would have resulted in a bigger impact this season than Love, Dillon and Deguara will combine to have.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Do you think a backup WR was going to make significant contributions to the offense this year? Of all positions RB is the one position where historically they contribute right away.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Gutekunst selecting only one starter at a position of need in the first three rounds would have resulted in a bigger impact this season than Love, Dillon and Deguara will combine to have.

Maybe?

If Gutekunst had passed on Love for a WR, say Michael Pittman Jr, I agree that there's a really good chance that Pittman probably would have started across from Adams and would have made a big impact right away. He seems fairly pro ready to me.

After that, I'm not so sure about your statement. I kind of doubt it. I'm not sure who the player is that would start immediately. Maybe Josh Jones at OT? But then, there must be a reason that he went from a 1st round projection to being taken at #72 overall. The entire league passed on WR from pick #59 until pick #80, and again from pick #92 until pick #128. I don't see any linebackers who would have taken Kirksey's job, and given how the defense operates. the LB2 on the roster could end up playing less than Dillon.

Allowing that they're ready to take on their roles, Dillon and Deguara could realistically combine for 1,000 snaps or more on offense this season. And then you add to that whatever they contribute on special teams.

They're very similar picks to the Vikings' last year-- they took Irv Smith Jr, an H-back, in the 2nd, and Alexander Mattison, a power RB, to pair with Cook in the 3rd. So basically just an inverse of what Green Bay did. Smith Jr. played a total 752 snaps, 612 on offense and 140 on special teams. Mattison's 16 game pace was 242 snaps. I could see Deguara seeing a little less work than Smith Jr, but Dillon seeing a little more than Mattison.

As an aside, isn't it interesting that when Kubiak arrived in Minnesota, they targeted the same positions that Green Bay just took? Almost makes you think that this offense has a good use for these types of players!

D

Deleted member 6794

And Gute did. He just didn't approach it like you and most others wanted him too.

The Packers signing Funchess should be considered the only move this offseason that might improve the team's chances of winning the Super Bowl in 2020.

Do you think a backup WR was going to make significant contributions to the offense this year? Of all positions RB is the one position where historically they contribute right away.

Once again, there are three wide receivers on the field on most snaps while only one running back. Therefore the #2 WR on the depth chart is a starter.

Allowing that they're ready to take on their roles, Dillon and Deguara could realistically combine for 1,000 snaps or more on offense this season.

I highly doubt Dillon and Deguara will combine to play 1,000 snaps next season.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Once again, there are three wide receivers on the field on most snaps while only one running back. Therefore the #2 WR on the depth chart is a starter.

Well, now that we have a RB who is a lot better than Jamaal Williams I think you are being presumptuous to think we will not use 2 RBs this year. Don't be surprised to see A. Jones in the slot or out wide at the snap and Dillon in the back field.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

."
I don't generally think #2 RBs make sizable impacts, that's what #1 RBs do. You're also assuming he's going to pass Williams; he should, but that's not a certainly.

As for Deguera, you kinda glossed over the "if he's ready for it" part... Who was the last rookie FB to make a sizable impact on an offense?

I hope you're right, but they'll be exceptional outliers if you are.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I don't generally think #2 RBs make sizable impacts, that's what #1 RBs do. You're also assuming he's going to pass Williams; he should, but that's not a certainly.

As for Deguera, you kinda glossed over the "if he's ready for it" part... Who was the last rookie FB to make a sizable impact on an offense?

I hope you're right, but they'll be exceptional outliers if you are.

It's funny to me that you say I "glossed over" the parts I purposefully said explicitly. And what's funnier is that I only did that to placate the people who seem so eager to criticize anything that carries a whiff of optimism. That shouldn't even need to be said-- obviously any rookie projected to any role won't actually fill that role if they don't prove worthy in camp. That would have been true no matter who the Packers selected.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think most people are pointing to the lack of a WR being added as something of a straw that broke the camel's back; any expectation that the offense will improve is based on believing that Wagner can replace one of the better RTs in the league, that young players who didn't show much last year will take enormous leaps this year, and that the second year in MLF's offense will be a positive. There's also the, understandable, belief that this team's offense has not improved enough to actually make the team competitive with the 49ers.

Of those, I do think the second year under MLF will be a positive, but I remain skeptical that Wagner will be as good in pass protection, or that guys who didn't show much last year will make big jumps this year. From a purely personnel standpoint, the offense is worse this year than last. Fans were hopeful that a 13-3 team would make a jump to becoming Super Bowl contender and that hasn't appeared to be the case.
A lot of “ifs” in there, and rightfully so. My take from the draft and FA are:

The ILB position wasn’t improved (although I think if Kirksey stays healthy, he’ll pan out better than Martinez. But who plays next to him?)

The WR Group hasn’t changed, unless adding Funchess and a CFL player amounts to change.

Nothing of significance was done to improve the run defense. Even if Pettine was being flip in saying the NFL is a passing league, this is a problem. And it wasn’t just the NFCCG where the run D was lacking. The Lions ran well on the Packers too. The Lions.......

The second year in MLF’s scheme will help, marginally. These are pros after all, and they should be able to pick up a new system at some point in the first year.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im no expert, but it seems to stop the run we need to get back to fundamentals;

“3-4 Defense
The 3-4 defense has three defensive linemen and four linebackers. The linebacker positions in the 3-4
Outside Linebackers - These two linebackers play on opposite sides of the field. They are like small and fast defensive ends. They often rush the passer and cover the edge keeping the running backs from reaching the corner.
Inside Linebackers - These two linebackers cover the middle of the field. They fill in the gaps and make tackles on running backs who make it through the defensive line.
Gap Responsibility
The linebackers work with the defensive line on gap responsibility. The space between each offensive lineman is called a gap. Between the center and the guards are the A gaps and between the guards and the tackles are the B gaps. The linebackers are to fill in the gaps. As the running backs try to get through gaps in the defensive line created by the blockers, the linebackers fill in the gaps and make the tackle.
Defending the Run
The linebackers are the main tacklers and run defenders on the team. The defensive linemen take on the blockers and keep the linebackers free to move and tackle the running backs”

In moving forward, there are 2 primary ways to improve your Run D that make sense to me.
Modify schematics.
a. Change the default defense structure.
b. Have additional Run heavy packages
c. Better training and implementation of a counter strategy.
d. Be more proactive/aggressive (there needs to be better anticipation and less dancing, shoot a LB early and bring SS up to cover that hole in the LB’s wake etc..)
Change personnel
a. Bring in more talent by trading, draft, FA
b. Look internally for better prospect fit
c. Better training/clarification through film and adapting to the known strengths of the above personnel.

There are better Run Defenders already on the 2019 depth chart. Rashan Gary is just one example of a player with a clear propensity to shore up the Run, how quickly we forget that Gary’s first season was practically a Redshirt type year and his much of his already limited usage was glimpses of him rushing on passing downs. Granted, he was rightfully overshadowed by Kyler Fackrell, who was peaking and coming off a double digit Sack season. However, Fackrells is the past and the future is now Gary.

Let’s take a look at the Fackrell analysis going into the draft by “Draftwire”.
Cons
-Doesn’t possess an overly explosive first step off the snap
-Struggles to find the football quickly from an off-ball position at times
-If his initial move stalls out, struggles to win
-He’s not a pure power player, and won’t blow anyone away with his frame, but Fackrell sets a stout edge and has the functional strength to redirect runs back inside. I love his fit as a 3-4 outside linebacker who can be a productive in a heavier pass-rush role.
-The Aggies defender bounced back from an ACL injury to post an impressive senior season, but the durability factor remains, and teams may want Fackrell to bulk up some at the next level.
Pros
-He’s a really solid football player who can cover, set the edge and get after the passer.
- I think he’s a better pure pass rusher than he gets credit for

Rashan Gary
Cons:
-Production as rusher failed to match traits and talent
-Rush plan is somewhat basic at this stage of development
-Long-arm bull rush is his only real rush tool
-Hands lack skill and have yet to be unlocked as rush weapon
-Lacks classic hip bend to dip and run the arc when rushing
-Lacks instincts and awareness for misdirections and counter
-Doesn't come to balance consistently as open-field tackler

Pros:
-“His size, strength and motor could make him a plus run defender in short order. He has elite potential if a defensive coordinator can harness the energy and focus his approach

From Lance Zerlein:
  • Freaky triangle of height, weight and speed
  • Active and strong with NFL size
  • Has all the tools to set a strong edge
  • Forceful into initial contact at point of attack
  • Good contact balance, thanks to sturdy base
  • Has disruptive qualities when he bends and plays low
  • Very good pursuit speed from backside and makes tackles down the field
  • Fires out of a track stance with energy and twitch
  • Can make conversion of speed-to-power look easy
  • Uses long-arm bull-rush to collapse the edge into quarterback
  • Strong enough to overtake tackles in late phase of the rush
  • Quick laterally and it shows up on twists

• Now which of these two prospects would you use for fixing a Run Defense issue?? It’s clear to me GB needs to focus on stopping the Run. Having essentially a 6.8 draft grade DE who’s strength is in the Running game sitting on the bench is not the answer. One mistake that was made as we look back is Pettine should’ve lobbied to phase Fackrell out and phase Gary in late in the season. There needs to be specific focus and attention by the coaches at
  • Modify (b, c and d)
  • Personnel (b and c)
Thanks OldSchool, really nice analysis.

Now that we know how dominant the Smith Bro’s can be, makes sense to me to focus Gary on the run. No one would have guessed how dominant the Smith Bro’s. were last year, so it’s not too surprising Gary got a “redshirt” year. But he’s a #12 pick, and needs to be utilized to showcase the ability that got him picked there in the first place.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's funny to me that you say I "glossed over" the parts I purposefully said explicitly. And what's funnier is that I only did that to placate the people who seem so eager to criticize anything that carries a whiff of optimism. That shouldn't even need to be said-- obviously any rookie projected to any role won't actually fill that role if they don't prove worthy in camp. That would have been true no matter who the Packers selected.

You were arguing that rookies had a decent chance to make sizable impacts. That argument hinges on ignoring the historical performance of rookies, no? Am I missing something?

Reaction score
Thanks OldSchool, really nice analysis.

Now that we know how dominant the Smith Bro’s can be, makes sense to me to focus Gary on the run. No one would have guessed how dominant the Smith Bro’s. were last year, so it’s not too surprising Gary got a “redshirt” year. But he’s a #12 pick, and needs to be utilized to showcase the ability that got him picked there in the first place.
This idea probably won’t happen. But if GB would get Gary into the mix at the same time as both Smiths it would allow us to have the best talent on the field simultaneously. There’s absolutely no reason they can get Gary’s hand dirty next to Clark. Granted, He could stand to put 10-15 pound on his frame to work between 3T and 5T, but he’d still be the fastest DL/LB we have even with the weight increase.

There’s other guys that can play backup OLB, we don’t need a #12 overall selection seeing just 35% snaps each season and never hitting his stride, let’s turn the man loose he just could be a difference maker if we’re not too scared to try. “Ok Rashan, we’re confident you’re a top #12 selection, but we’re a little worried about you bro.. we don’t want you to fall n boo boo your little toe!”

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
You were arguing that rookies had a decent chance to make sizable impacts. That argument hinges on ignoring the historical performance of rookies, no? Am I missing something?

So the case was made that because Dillon and Deguara are back ups, that they probably can't make much of an immediate impact.

I am arguing that, based on comparable players in similar offenses, there is a decent role available to these players.

Obviously a role can be available to a player and the player may or may not be up to filling it.

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This idea probably won’t happen. But if GB would get Gary into the mix at the same time as both Smiths it would allow us to have the best talent on the field simultaneously. There’s absolutely no reason they can get Gary’s hand dirty next to Clark. Granted, He could stand to put 10-15 pound on his frame to work between 3T and 5T, but he’d still be the fastest DL/LB we have even with the weight increase.

There’s other guys that can play backup OLB, we don’t need a #12 overall selection seeing just 35% snaps each season and never hitting his stride, let’s turn the man loose he just could be a difference maker if we’re not too scared to try. “Ok Rashan, we’re confident you’re a top #12 selection, but we’re a little worried about you bro.. we don’t want you to fall n boo boo your little toe!”

This will definitely happen quite often, and most of the time it will be Za'Darius playing inside, with Gary and Preston on the edges.

Reaction score
This will definitely happen quite often, and most of the time it will be Za'Darius playing inside, with Gary and Preston on the edges.
I’m OK with that. It’s the next best thing. At least Rashan isn’t going to get ragdolled at the second level like Martinez did. I like the idea of Z and Gary hitting one side. That’s a load to handle.. A finesse player and pure power rusher combo. Well call it the “Hawaiian Buzzo” package.
I’ll sign the petition let’s go

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Well, now that we have a RB who is a lot better than Jamaal Williams I think you are being presumptuous to think we will not use 2 RBs this year. Don't be surprised to see A. Jones in the slot or out wide at the snap and Dillon in the back field.

It's strange that so many fans all but guarantee that Dillon was move past Jamaal Williams on the depth chart just like that. It's true that Williams hasn't had a huge impact at the pro level but actually had better college stats than Dillon.

In addition he knows the system and pass protection schemes, which is important for a backup running back to see the field with Rodgers.

Even if we solely consider a tight end, who was the last rookie tight end selected at the end of the third round to have a sizable impact in his rookie campaign???

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the case was made that because Dillon and Deguara are back ups, that they probably can't make much of an immediate impact.

I am arguing that, based on comparable players in similar offenses, there is a decent role available to these players.

Obviously a role can be available to a player and the player may or may not be up to filling it.

I'm not discussing "roles", I was specifically saying "sizable impacts". A goal line, short yardage RB is not a sizable impact. And, whatever position you feel like saying he plays, the chances of a late third-round TE/FB being a big contributor are pretty much nil.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, interesting discussion here. Run defense and the apparent lack of importance thereof is something I've brought up before. Obviously, we need more information. In a vacuum, of course, as the OP admits, having good run defense is certainly better than having bad run defense. If you are completely unable to contain the run as we were in the NFCCG, you will lose.

So what's missing? My personal opinion is that a great deal of it is a product of league trends. How much has the passing game evolved over the last 15-20 years Remember when a 4,000 yard season used to be a rarity? Now 3500-4000 yards is commonplace for even mediocre QBs. I see the Rams "greatest show on turf" as a turning point in league history for how offenses have been built. My guess is that if you go back to the Super Bowl teams of the 90s and before, almost all had at least competent run defense.

So I think defenses have simply been built over recent years to counter offensive strengths. Teams have been willing to give up a little more on the ground to build around a great pass rush and great secondaries to try to keep up with a league that is built so much now on the aerial attack.

Now, will that trend change back at some point? Maybe teams will start see an opportunity to exploit the weaknesses of great teams and start building run first offenses again? Maybe that's what we're trying to do?

Always about trying to stay one step ahead.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts