The screen pass

Timmons

Cheesehead
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
623
Reaction score
0
Location
Phoenix, AZ
How come we used to be the masters of the screen pass and now, not only do we suck at doing it, we REALLY suck at defending it.

Please explain.
 

longtimefan

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Mar 7, 2005
Messages
25,379
Reaction score
4,101
Location
Milwaukee
When Mike Holmgren was around is when that worked perfectly...Not to sure it was CONSISTENTLY effective under Sherman...
 

YERCELL

Cheesehead
Joined
Aug 21, 2006
Messages
266
Reaction score
0
I think in general the screen pass doesn't work as well as it used to. Defenses aren't as stupid anymore.
 

kmac

Cheesehead
Joined
Apr 19, 2006
Messages
849
Reaction score
0
Location
Milwaukee
I explained this in another thread. It requires your guards to get out and make blocks, and your RBs to catch the ball. We have rookie guards and RB that can't catch.
 

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
2,391
Reaction score
0
kmac said:
I explained this in another thread. It requires your guards to get out and make blocks, and your RBs to catch the ball. We have rookie guards and RB that can't catch.



Screens are VERY effective. In all fairness Green can catch the ball, but had a bad game. I would definitely throw more of them
 

warhawk

Cheesehead
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
1,922
Reaction score
17
Location
Gulf Shores, Al
pyledriver80 said:
kmac said:
I explained this in another thread. It requires your guards to get out and make blocks, and your RBs to catch the ball. We have rookie guards and RB that can't catch.



Screens are VERY effective. In all fairness Green can catch the ball, but had a bad game. I would definitely throw more of them

We need for this to be effective. We will see more teams stacking the run to get us into a throwing position. Than they start sending the LB's and Db's.

When a screen is called at the right time to the right side(where the blitz is coming from) it will slow the "D" down.

We KNOW we are going to see pressure with a young offensive line. This can be balanced by an effective screen and we cannot afford to abandon it.
 
OP
OP
T

Timmons

Cheesehead
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
623
Reaction score
0
Location
Phoenix, AZ
warhawk said:
pyledriver80 said:
kmac said:
I explained this in another thread. It requires your guards to get out and make blocks, and your RBs to catch the ball. We have rookie guards and RB that can't catch.



Screens are VERY effective. In all fairness Green can catch the ball, but had a bad game. I would definitely throw more of them

We need for this to be effective. We will see more teams stacking the run to get us into a throwing position. Than they start sending the LB's and Db's.

When a screen is called at the right time to the right side(where the blitz is coming from) it will slow the "D" down.

We KNOW we are going to see pressure with a young offensive line. This can be balanced by an effective screen and we cannot afford to abandon it.

I'm assuming that our new younger thinner guards ought to be able to pull, it's not like they're fat slow guys, and I have faith in Green's hands. Anyway, I'd like to see up become the masters of the screen again.
 

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
742
Reaction score
0
Location
91214
The old school bulldozer OL are the best for screens. Plus having them in front of you would give you more confidence for when you catch the ball you're not going to get blasted from the word go. Hence our lighter zone block guards, and Green's drops.
On the D side with our LB corps, that stupid Bootleg pass play from the Saints worked everytime. Everytime. If I'm watching film on the Pack I will game plan that play every 3 play until GB can stop it. One of the LB's has to have an eye on the RB coming out of the backfield, how can you let him get open everytime for 6-9 yard gain?
 

yourout

Cheesehead
Joined
Aug 20, 2005
Messages
352
Reaction score
0
Unless Poppinga improves or is replaced you will see alot of bootleg passes.
 

Members online

Top