The pre-season, overall philosophy and cockiness

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That's the thing I would be critical of. The offense has become so complex and "slow developing". It takes perfect timing to be efficient. Also, a little worn on that quick pitch play that never seems to work.

It would be nice to see them spread it out more and go with quicker drops and get the ball out. The talent is there.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, now what is the Vegas line on Lang not getting through the trade deadline with the Packers? :tdown:

I don't expect Thompson to trade Lang during the season but it could have an effect on the Packers re-signing him next offseason.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What and how??? The #1 CB went down 1st reg season game with concussion. #5 is on IR, #4 is dealing with a hammie from last preseason game. Swiss army knife do it all DB was tweaked this past game as was the #1 SS. Only room for so many bodies on the roster. Like it or no, 3 second year CBs are what is available. To face one of the more prolific passing attacks of the season. With probably no cavalry riding over the hill.

I'm talking all the way back to House and Hayward leaving (not debating on correctness of that here) and we replaced them with Rollins, Randall, Gunter and Hawkins....which in itself was a step down in quality (irrespective of potential). It was a gamble that we'd do OK with just Shields and Hyde part-timing it. Now with Shields getting injured, we are stuck in a place we did not want to be.

For me, a transition must be smoother than that. You don't let a starter walk away and put a rookie in the deep end of the pool and expect consistency. (See resemblance with Sitton/Lane here too). Ease players in, give rest of team adapt to new player and all that. TT and MM always manage to get keep the team talented without spending in FA, but their transition skills needs work on.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm talking all the way back to House and Hayward leaving (not debating on correctness of that here) and we replaced them with Rollins, Randall, Gunter and Hawkins....which in itself was a step down in quality (irrespective of potential). It was a gamble that we'd do OK with just Shields and Hyde part-timing it. Now with Shields getting injured, we are stuck in a place we did not want to be.

For me, a transition must be smoother than that. You don't let a starter walk away and put a rookie in the deep end of the pool and expect consistency. (See resemblance with Sitton/Lane here too). Ease players in, give rest of team adapt to new player and all that. TT and MM always manage to get keep the team talented without spending in FA, but their transition skills needs work on.

Neither Hayward nor House was a starter with the Packers though. Thompson using a first and a second round pick on the position last season should have been enough of an investment for a smooth transition.

Reaction score
I'd rather have the Packers struggle at the start of the season and improve over the course of the year and perform
on a high level early like last season.
Yes. It's very early in the season and not the first time we started a season looking rough, only to accelerate as the year progresses. Many great teams don't come to form until mid season

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Neither Hayward nor House was a starter with the Packers though. Thompson using a first and a second round pick on the position last season should have been enough of an investment for a smooth transition.

Does anyone remember how just a few short weeks ago we were all gushing over our defensive backs. Now all of a sudden those same guys suck. (not you who said that WIMM) Is it possible that Randall and Rollins and Gunter and even Dix still have some growing to do and maybe were not quite ready to have the budding superstar mantel thrust upon them?

D

Deleted member 6794

Does anyone remember how just a few short weeks ago we were all gushing over our defensive backs. Now all of a sudden those same guys suck. (not you who said that WIMM) Is it possible that Randall and Rollins and Gunter and even Dix still have some growing to do and maybe were not quite ready to have the budding superstar mantel thrust upon them?

I still believe the Packers secondary is extremely talented. The second year players just have to perform more consistently.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Incorrect. Anything happened all of the time, not just once.

:p

Understand, but there's only one 'anything' I care about when I'm on a Packer forum, and it's only happened once in the TT/MM/AR era, despite the repeated opportunities.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still believe the Packers secondary is extremely talented. The second year players just have to perform more consistently.

I agree, I was commenting on the apparent 180 some fans have done. We have some young guys back there. It is reasonable to expect growth but it is not unreasonable to expect growing pains.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Understand, but there's only one 'anything' I care about when I'm on a Packer forum, and it's only happened once in the TT/MM/AR era, despite the repeated opportunities.
I know, Half. Was just messing with you.

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree, I was commenting on the apparent 180 some fans have done. We have some young guys back there. It is reasonable to expect growth but it is not unreasonable to expect growing pains.

I fully expect Randall to bounce back this week against the Lions. Rollins already showed he's capable of doing it after a terrible first half at Jacksonville. I'd rather have those young cornerbacks struggling early in the season and grow because of it before playing in more important games later this year.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no problem going for it. I felt pretty good with our defense last night keeping MN down there and getting the ball back to our offense. They didn't, instead they got like 60 yards. But seriously. We kick FG's and people ******* *****. We go for it, people ******* *****. Maybe McCarty sensed the same thing you're *****ing about and said, "alright team, you think you're good, go get it" and they didn't. Maybe that was his statement? maybe he just wanted to test them, regardless, it wasn't completely stupid against an offense that had nothing outside of 1-2 plays up to that point. Cripes, the entire game MN had like 6 plays on offense (I'm sure they had more, but overall, it was a play here or there was all they had).\
----
And if Crosby makes the chip shot field goal the score is tied and the game goes into overtime. Just sayin'.

OP
OP
net

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And here come the annual and always wrong we aren't even a playoff team posts.
I'm hoping they make the playoffs. If they play like they did against Jacksonville(look at Jacksonville's score last Sunday) and the Vikings, playoffs are not likely. It's cocky to assume just because they take the field they will win. The point of my post is this team is not playing to expectations, apparently?
Rose colored glasses...

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm hoping they make the playoffs. If they play like they did against Jacksonville(look at Jacksonville's score last Sunday) and the Vikings, playoffs are not likely. It's cocky to assume just because they take the field they will win. The point of my post is this team is not playing to expectations, apparently?
Rose colored glasses...

It's also possible Jacksonville is more like the team that played us and not the team that played San Diego.

Also, we just lost our toughest road game of the year by three points in week 2 by the way.

There's no reason to panic and think we are not a playoff team.

H

HardRightEdge

C'mon, man. Nobody plays their starters very much in preseason, and the older the vet starters the fewer snaps they take. Everybody is optimistic in training camp where all teams put a spin on their roster like Lake Wobegon says of their children...they're all above average.

Last edited by a moderator:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no problem going for it... But seriously. We kick FG's and people ******* *****. We go for it, people ******* *****. Maybe McCarty sensed the same thing you're *****ing about and said, "alright team, you think you're good, go get it" and they didn't. Maybe that was his statement?

Ding ding ding..

100% agree

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And if Crosby makes the chip shot field goal the score is tied and the game goes into overtime. Just sayin'.[/QUOTE]

Just sayin' huh? When did NFL football games go into overtime with time on the clock left in the 3rd quarter and the entire 4th quarter yet to play?

It was a 12 play drive, we needed 2 yards, my only issue is not running it 2 plays if you were going to try and run for it on 4th anyway. Kick it or go for it, i don't mind either call in that situation. Just funny how they're wrong to go for FG's that we make and score points, and now they're wrong for skipping the points and going for the 1st down.