The pre-season, overall philosophy and cockiness

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The first two games reflect what happened in the pre-season. The team really hadn't played together much against live competition. You certainly can see it on offense. By keeping the players away from potential injury, they also kept the players from getting ready for regular season action. Rodgers is clearly rusty, though his offensive line isn't helping much. Tretter isn't Linsley, and Bulaga needs to be replaced. They can't seem to open holes, and Rodgers is constantly under duress.
McCarthy has clearly lost his mind. Not kicking a field goal to tie the game and going for it on 4th and one is a mistake even a high school coach wouldn't make. McCarthy starts the game with several runs, then almost totally abandons it for long periods. I think opposing coaches have figured out how McCarthy ticks and take away thing plays that worked in the past. Worse yet, McCarthy doesn't seem to have an answer.
The defense, which had been bad for a long time, is doing it's part, but they need more from the offense soon.
Ted Thompson plays a major factor in this. The Packers are again the youngest team in the league. At some point you need to let the team mature, where veterans move the team forward. The Packers have a constant churning of the reserves, which leaves rookies against the other team's veterans. Most of the time, the veteran will take the rookie to school.
Cockiness plays a factor. From Thompson, to McCarthy, to Rodgers et.al,. the players and front office all thought this team had it won before the games started. Clearly Minnesota is ahead of Green Bay now. The media has a role in this, constantly glorifying everything until the warts are exposed for all to see.
Unless the offensive line picks it up and McCarthy gets it together, this is an 8-8 team.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Cockiness also happenes with posters when it goes the way they want... Then they come here to post

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass, it's wrong, run it's wrong, FG's are wrong, going for it was wrong, everything is wrong when you don't win. Well you know what? put a sock in it. Bulaga has been playing well, he had a bad play, but overall he's been just fine out there. Rodgers had about 12-15 bad plays last night.

I have no problem going for it. I felt pretty good with our defense last night keeping MN down there and getting the ball back to our offense. They didn't, instead they got like 60 yards. But seriously. We kick FG's and people ****ing *****. We go for it, people ****ing *****. Maybe McCarty sensed the same thing you're *****ing about and said, "alright team, you think you're good, go get it" and they didn't. Maybe that was his statement? maybe he just wanted to test them, regardless, it wasn't completely stupid against an offense that had nothing outside of 1-2 plays up to that point. Cripes, the entire game MN had like 6 plays on offense (I'm sure they had more, but overall, it was a play here or there was all they had).

anyway, last night was bad on offense. It's concerning for certain. BUT, Bradford is never going to throw more perfect passes than he did last night. I know Rodgers can, but will he? If GB remains half way efficient last night and gets 1st downs instead of 30 yard pass attempts, I think this game is a blowout.

Credit to MN, their offense made just enough plays and their punter and defense did the rest. But there were plays there to be made on offense and they didn't. Man, i'd hope when you have a team pinned against their own goalline for practically every drive of the game, and your offense gets the ball near midfield for every drive we'd win by 17, not 3. This ship can be righted, they have to do it, but it's not sunk.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And here come the annual and always wrong we aren't even a playoff team posts.
That's because we rarely start the season looking like a playoff team and once again we do not currently look like a playoff team. That being said, we always seem to right the ship.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And here come the annual and always wrong we aren't even a playoff team posts.

Some of us stick to "sure, they'll make the playoffs (for any number of reasons), but they'll figure out a painful way to get bounced".

D

Deleted member 6794

I'd rather have the Packers struggle at the start of the season and improve over the course of the year and perform
on a high level early like last season.

There's too much talent on offense for the unit to not play better and there's optimism the coaching staff and Rodgers will figure out a way how to perform on a high level again.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd rather have the Packers struggle at the start of the season and improve over the course of the year and perform

There's too much talent on offense for the unit to not play better and there's optimism the coaching staff and Rodgers will figure out a way how to perform on a high level again.

Something that gets lost last night is the offense actually did figure out how to move the ball. They had about 200 second half yards, but killed three drives with turnovers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I backed MM for taking the FGs against Seattle in the playoffs, which didn't work out. I was ok with going for it last night, and it didn't work out. So I'm as wrong as MM. I think MM really thinks we have a power offense, which we don't. This is a finesse offense which doesn't work when Rogers is off. He missed way too many throws last night. It'll change and we'll be in the playoffs again, but I don't think we have the defense or offense that will get us to the Championship. But, for the rose glasses crowd, we're lookin' pretty good on the cap side for next year......

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was pretty bad last night. I would have liked to see MM change the rotation of receivers sometimes. I did not see Montgomery or Abredaris. I think they should be in the mix. I hate being a Monday morning QB and certainly hoped the "go for it" instead of kicking the field goal worked. But that was really dumb! Didn't he know he was involved in a defensive low scoring game?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass, it's wrong, run it's wrong, FG's are wrong, going for it was wrong, everything is wrong when you don't win. Well you know what? put a sock in it. Bulaga has been playing well, he had a bad play, but overall he's been just fine out there. Rodgers had about 12-15 bad plays last night.

I have no problem going for it. I felt pretty good with our defense last night keeping MN down there and getting the ball back to our offense. They didn't, instead they got like 60 yards. But seriously. We kick FG's and people ******* *****. We go for it, people ******* *****. Maybe McCarty sensed the same thing you're *****ing about and said, "alright team, you think you're good, go get it" and they didn't. Maybe that was his statement? maybe he just wanted to test them, regardless, it wasn't completely stupid against an offense that had nothing outside of 1-2 plays up to that point. Cripes, the entire game MN had like 6 plays on offense (I'm sure they had more, but overall, it was a play here or there was all they had).

anyway, last night was bad on offense. It's concerning for certain. BUT, Bradford is never going to throw more perfect passes than he did last night. I know Rodgers can, but will he? If GB remains half way efficient last night and gets 1st downs instead of 30 yard pass attempts, I think this game is a blowout.

Credit to MN, their offense made just enough plays and their punter and defense did the rest. But there were plays there to be made on offense and they didn't. Man, i'd hope when you have a team pinned against their own goalline for practically every drive of the game, and your offense gets the ball near midfield for every drive we'd win by 17, not 3. This ship can be righted, they have to do it, but it's not sunk.

Funny thing is its the same people that ***** either way.

Two thoughts come to mind 1) If you can't gain a yard you probably don't belong in the league. Fortunately, or unfortunately as is the case here 2) the other guys get paid a lot of money to keep you from making a yard so it has a tendency to even out.

I feel that way too much emphasis is placed on any given play during the game. Yes, if we had kicked the FG it would have tied the score but that doesn't change all the foul ups that happened before and it had an effect on all the plays called after as well. Do the vikings call the same series of plays with the score tied as they do with a 3 point lead? Maybe, maybe not. Do the Packers? Maybe, maybe not. Do the players play with the same sense of urgency? Who knows. Its easy to point to one play and say it was the difference maker but the fact is in a close game such as this dozens of plays make a difference and a change to any one of them could alter the outcome. How about any of the 4 fumble by Rodgers that killed drives? How about the penalties? Not going for it directly impacted the points but it was not the ONLY reason we didn't score more than 14 points last night and there is no guarantee that had we scored 17 it would have gone into OT either. All it does is guarantee we have a convenient scapegoat.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I backed MM for taking the FGs against Seattle in the playoffs, which didn't work out. I was ok with going for it last night, and it didn't work out. So I'm as wrong as MM. I think MM really thinks we have a power offense, which we don't. This is a finesse offense which doesn't work when Rogers is off. He missed way too many throws last night. It'll change and we'll be in the playoffs again, but I don't think we have the defense or offense that will get us to the Championship. But, for the rose glasses crowd, we're lookin' pretty good on the cap side for next year......

That's really funny because you know a lot of the same people complaining about not kicking the FG last night were the same ones complaining about kicking them against Seattle. Like I said before in a defensive battle I think you take the points but I am not going to P&M about it. We wanted MM to be aggressive and now when he is we complain.

Had they made the 1st down and eventually scored the TD WIMM would be the only one complaining.:D And believe me WIMM I do understand why you would.

D

Deleted member 6794

Not going for it directly impacted the points but it was not the ONLY reason we didn't score more than 14 points last night and there is no guarantee that had we scored 17 it would have gone into OT either.

I haven't seen a single post mentioning not kicking the field goal as the only reason for the Packers loss. It contributed to it though.

D

Deleted member 6794

Had they made the 1st down and eventually scored the TD WIMM would be the only one complaining.:D

Geez, of course I wouldn't have complained about the Packers getting a first down in that situation but still wouldn't have liked the decision to go for it.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I am frustrated as much as anyone. But as Captain posted I would rather peak later then earlier. It's a long long haul. In 2014 the team started 1-2 and ended up a play from going to the Super Bowl. I think it's way to early to hit panic button.

Rodgers had his worst pff graded game ever and I don't think Bradford can play any better then he did and we lost by a FG in a crazy environment in there brand new stadium. Also, Looks like the Vikings might of lost Peterson for some time.

Lastly, this is a game I had circled that Packers might lose. I also have em going 13-3. Pack have 3 games in a row at home now. GPG!

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cockiness is an interesting word and somehow is oddly fitting (in the transfer window)

- Preseason: I think you have a point there. Maybe not to risk anyone unnecessarily, but more game time would definitely have helped the team connect better imo. Cook, Taylor (Nuff said on Sitton release) etc could have had better preparation

- Secondary: Has lots of talent, but sadly is very raw. Randall performances have been quite inconsistent and Diggs turned out to be the x factor for Vikings this game. With Shields down, we're really stretched and I doubt we can do much to improve that area. Something that can and should have been addressed before the season.

As to Rodgers himself, I believe the "past his prime" comments are over the top and knee jerk. I have full faith in his abilities and we'd see a improvement in our offence quite soon, imo.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Maybe the talent is overrated, and not as great as people think. Maybe the coaching staff is stale, as it has been for some time now, and has no answers. Maybe Rodgers continues to regress.
Maybe less talk and more results. This shitshow is getting old. The reality may very well be at this point that they're not nearly as good as thought.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Wouldn't you rather start slow and build to end the season better than you started? Or should we start off 7-0 and progressively get worse in the second half of the season. Why is Packer's nation freaking out? It is Week 2!!!

1. Mike McCarthey has been more aggressive in his play calling, something we wanted? PO (personal opinion)- I will take a 3 point loss than another loss in OT, because we were outplayed by the Vikings. They would have won OT
2. The run defense has been the best in the league, something we wanted? PO- 38 yards in two games combined is all we have given up on the ground. That is the foundation to a good defense. We had a depleted young secondary, but it is Week 2, we ar E fine.
3. We wanted Clay Matthews back at OLB, something we wanted? PO- Jake Ryan, Joe Thomas and Blake Martinez have been the stars of the first two games. I am thrilled. Clay has 2 sacks, not great, but I will take it in Week 2
4. We were freaking out about losing Josh Sitton. PO- Lane Taylor has been amazing, so has the entire OL.

The two most important factors the packers have covered. Stopping the run and protecting Aaron Rodgers. Rodgers needs to get rid of the ball a little quicker, we need to throw some dump off passes to Lacey in the flanks and we need to run more play action. All things should be figured out by week 8 because they are minor. R-E-L-A-X

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Secondary: Has lots of talent, but sadly is very raw. Randall performances have been quite inconsistent and Diggs turned out to be the x factor for Vikings this game. With Shields down, we're really stretched and I doubt we can do much to improve that area. Something that can and should have been addressed before the season.
What and how??? The #1 CB went down 1st reg season game with concussion. #5 is on IR, #4 is dealing with a hammie from last preseason game. Swiss army knife do it all DB was tweaked this past game as was the #1 SS. Only room for so many bodies on the roster. Like it or no, 3 second year CBs are what is available. To face one of the more prolific passing attacks of the season. With probably no cavalry riding over the hill.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe the talent is overrated, and not as great as people think. Maybe the coaching staff is stale, as it has been for some time now, and has no answers. Maybe Rodgers continues to regress.
Maybe less talk and more results. This shitshow is getting old. The reality may very well be at this point that they're not nearly as good as thought.
The Titans are the local team where I'm at, and I'm seeing the same thing offensively. Opposing defenses don't respect the speed of our receivers, and we have given them no reason not to run tight man coverage.

The difference with them is that they don't seem too proud to make use of slants and shorter passes to RBs, instead of trying to force plays down the field and to be sides of the field, where we are really struggling. They work with what they've got.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lane Taylor has been amazing, so has the entire OL.

The offensive line has been decent through the first two games but far from amazing.

What and how??? The #1 CB went down 1st reg season game with concussion. #5 is on IR, #4 is dealing with a hammie from last preseason game. Swiss army knife do it all DB was tweaked this past game as was the #1 SS. Only room for so many bodies on the roster.

Hyde should be counted as a cornerback as well. Therefore Hawkins or Dorleant were nost likely the sixth and seventh CB on the depth chart entering the season.

Members online

Latest posts