The NFC playoff Curse.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Lions lost to the Cowboys on crappy calls from the Refs.

Cowboys lost to the Packers on A Judgement call from the Refs.

Packers lose a Heart Breaker due to a Comeback from the Hawks.

The Hawks lose on a Heart Breaker to the Pats.

That is messed up yo.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know but that was basically a Judgment call from the Refs. They could of easly called that a catch even though it wasnt.

They did first call it a catch. It was reversed on the replay review as the result of the Packers' challenge. It was a rule application not a subjective judgment call. But it was close.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
It was called a catch. Overturned upon further review. I believe there are several threads debating this very play. No need to continue it here.

This thread isnt to debate that. Its a damn NFC curse.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Lets not derail this thread on that play. It was a flukey play.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
So did the Pats catch the curse now? Will they lose a heart breaking fluky playoff game next season too?

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First off, I'm not really sure this can be labelled as a curse. Don't curses last for a long time with a specific team. This thing is spreading and infecting the next team it touches. I think virus is a more apt term.

And secondly, if there is a virus in play for this season, it ought to affect the Pats this post-season somehow rather than next year. Like some damning Deflate-Gate evidence is found and they lose their first round pick and get fined. Or a surprise retirement from Tom Brady to spend more time with his family or something. Or Gronk tears both ACL's attempting a freak dance move at a club while celebrating the win.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
First off, I'm not really sure this can be labelled as a curse. Don't curses last for a long time with a specific team. This thing is spreading and infecting the next team it touches. I think virus is a more apt term.

And secondly, if there is a virus in play for this season, it ought to affect the Pats this post-season somehow rather than next year. Like some damning Deflate-Gate evidence is found and they lose their first round pick and get fined. Or a surprise retirement from Tom Brady to spend more time with his family or something. Or Gronk tears both ACL's attempting a freak dance move at a club while celebrating the win.

Uh the Madden curse comes to mind.

Shanghai Pack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Madden Curse strikes me as something that proves my assertion rather than yours. It's a curse that's associated with a single thing (in this case a video game, but it could just as well be something else: a team, a city, a haunted house) and has been with it for a long period of time (not just a single week). I still believe curse is the wrong way to label this. When the Red Sox finally won the World Series, the St. Louis Cardinals weren't all of a sudden inflicted with the Curse of the Bambino. That's because curses don't spread. Viruses do spread though.

TomBrownFan40

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe you beat curses by getting better. Next year the NFC Championship will be in Lambeau, we'll be up by 30 at the half, and at the end Rodgers will be happily watching Flynn, Tolzien, or a rookie do the kneel down after a romp!

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Not buying it, seems like the NFC has been pretty dominant in the super bowl and momentum went to the AFC. Seahawks had their miracle catch but got burned two plays later. That play reminded me of Farve for some reason.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
True that the best 4 NFC teams (Seattle, Green Bay, Dallas, Detroit) all lost on absolute heartbreakers.

Carolina and Arizona get the "we're not going to win this but we're just happy to be here and at least we can't say we should have won" award.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So did the Pats catch the curse now? Will they lose a heart breaking fluky playoff game next season too?
Well, they don't play the Packers in the regular season so hopefully their heart breaking, fluky game occurs against us in the Super Bowl

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Pats have had their share of fluky losses in big games. It looked like they were going to lose another one on Sunday because of another once in a decade or longer type catch

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Pats have had their share of fluky losses in big games. It looked like they were going to lose another one on Sunday because of another once in a decade or longer type catch

I kinda wish they had lost on Sunday now. Too many people seem to be declaring Brady the Greatest QB Ever this week. Even though 2 of his SB wins were incredibly lucky (Tuck Rule, and Worst Call in SB History). Also the Pats won every SB by 4 points or less, so Brady could easily be 0-6 in Super Bowls.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a "best" ever. Different era's different rules, just different. I figure if you're good enough to have a lot of people including you in the "best ever" conversation, you're pretty ****ing good :)

Kimbo Blubbeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lions lost to the Cowboys on crappy calls from the Refs.

Cowboys lost to the Packers on A Judgement call from the Refs.

Packers lose a Heart Breaker due to a Comeback from the Hawks.

The Hawks lose on a Heart Breaker to the Pats.

That is messed up yo.

It was interesting although the Lions and Cowboys have the least room to really feel like they lost the game. And this coming from a Dallas fan.

If the Lions had gotten that first down, they were only in FG range with plenty of time left. It just would've made it more difficult for Dallas to win. But anybody who actually watched that game saw, that after that particular play, Detroit had plenty of chances on offense and defense to make the big plays but they didn't and the Cowboys made all of them.

Cowboys had an almost guaranteed touchdown but with the way our defense was playing, there was almost no doubt Rodgers comes straight back down the field for points anyway.

Packers/Seahawks legitimately had almost surefire wins snatched away.

Kimbo Blubbeus

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I kinda wish they had lost on Sunday now. Too many people seem to be declaring Brady the Greatest QB Ever this week. Even though 2 of his SB wins were incredibly lucky (Tuck Rule, and Worst Call in SB History). Also the Pats won every SB by 4 points or less, so Brady could easily be 0-6 in Super Bowls.

You could play this game both ways. There was the helmet catch in 2008, the drop by Welker in 2011, and a back and forth loss to the Colts in 2007 where Brady would've gotten the chance to play Rex Grossman in the Super Bowl.

Also, you're being very generous to the Eagles in 2005. They were playing catch up and made it look interesting in the end, but they had to resort to an onside kick which they didn't recover. That's not exactly getting lucky.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Pats played the Raiders in the SB? Which one was that?

Reaction score
They did first call it a catch. It was reversed on the replay review as the result of the Packers' challenge. It was a rule application not a subjective judgment call. But it was close.
The only thing that makes it seem close is because it was points and a playoff game and it generally happens IN the end zone or while falling out into the sideline chalk. But since they changed the rule We've all seen that play happen with 2 feet in bounds, WR hits the chalk and doesn't follow through and " incomplete ". Dozens and dozens of times. It doesn't matter what the Field position it's incomplete.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
I believe you beat curses by getting better. Next year the NFC Championship will be in Lambeau, we'll be up by 30 at the half, and at the end Rodgers will be happily watching Flynn, Tolzien, or a rookie do the kneel down after a romp!
We have a very tough schedule next year. After this season it's hard not to think the nfl is rigged. The patriots 14 point comeback in the AFC divisional, 10 point comeback in Super Bowl and Seahawks 16 point come back in NFC championship (thank you clay Matthews).

Members online

Latest posts