The Five Worst Decisions of Packers GM Ted Thompson

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. The author (who I'm not a fan of) admitted that it was frustratingly hard to find five bad moves, and as noted, most teams would take five bad moves over that span of time. None of those moves truly hindered the Packers except for maybe the Justin Harrell pick. It was a reach and it cost us.

An interesting article would be the top 5 TT moves that were booed by the fan base and media, but now appear to be strokes of genius. You could easily put the releases of Wahle/Rivera on that list, trading Favre....there's probably a bunch more that I'm not remembering.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
Why isn't resigning AJ Hawk on that list?

I disagree with #1 as well. Flynn really hadn't played enough and Manning really stole any thunder he had in the FA market

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
That's the problem with publishing your opinion: Sometimes it makes you look foolish. Had Matt Flynn signed a contract with $20M guaranteed - or even $15M - the writer may have had a point that not tagging him would have been a mistake. Even if that had happened, IMO in no way would it deserve the number one ranking he gave it on his list since the team will receive some compensation for losing him. Of course with 20/20 hindsight it turns out not to be a mistake at all. Tagging him would have been the mistake.

I wouldn't list the drafting of Brohm as a top 5 mistake either. The draft is a crap shoot and sometimes even well prepared teams which excel in the draft miss on players. What I remember about that draft is reading some thought Brohm was the "most NFL ready" QB in it. I don't remember any cries of "Reach!" when the pick was announced. Even if you agree with the author about Brohm being a top 5 pick, does anyone buy this: "Even Thompson may have realized his error in coming days, drafting 2012’s second hottest free agent quarterback, LSU’s Matt Flynn, in the seventh round of the same draft." The author thinks that somehow a day after selecting Brohm Thompson realized his mistake and drafted Flynn? What do you suppose he thinks happened in that day?

Hawk's extension belongs on the list IMO as does drafting Harrell (because unlike Brohm there were reasons to be concerned about him pre-draft), letting Jenkins go, and Chillar's extension. But two of the five have no business being on the list IMO.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bleachers report - where any idiot can be a published author.

No. 1 should be "Coming to Green Bay which has a small contigent of very stupid but very vocal critics who are not happy with you no matter how much success you have. And will mercilessly slander your personal character for any move you make whether they have a shred of football knowledge or not."

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bleachers report - where any idiot can be a published author.

No. 1 should be "Coming to Green Bay which has a small contigent of very stupid but very vocal critics who are not happy with you no matter how much success you have. And will mercilessly slander your personal character for any move you make whether they have a shred of football knowledge or not."
bleacher is quickly working to change your opinion of their writing. In fact they now employ the best packers writer that isn't employed by the JS

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score

Is there a city that one could go to which does not have a similar situation with vocal critics?

In all fairness, it is far worse in most other places.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bleacher is quickly working to change your opinion of their writing. In fact they now employ the best packers writer that isn't employed by the JS
I'm sure there are some good ones, but the bad ones are really bad.

I disagree with the article above, but at least the writing isn't bad (from my memory - I just scanned it before).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is there a city that one could go to which does not have a similar situation with vocal critics?

In all fairness, it is far worse in most other places.
I don't know. The level of hatred towards TT was like none I have personally witnessed. I have had exposure to Chiefs, Seahawks, Vikings, Charger, Cardinal, and Raider football and I have never seen anything like it. Even when the Seahawks and the Vikings really sucked, their fans were not as ridiculous in their animosity. They didn't like what their team was doing, but they were supportive and would never stoop to such low levels. Strange as I write this because in all my travels, Wisconsin people have always been a noticeable improvement in quality of person.

Its just strange that TT has been doing such a great job and the hateful crowd knew no bounds of decency.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure there are some good ones, but the bad ones are really bad.

I disagree with the article above, but at least the writing isn't bad (from my memory - I just scanned it before).

If they keep stealing people from Cheeseheadtv they will be pretty good. Though I would rather have Nagler covering the Packers than the whole nfl

Bagadeez04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why isn't resigning AJ Hawk on that list?

I disagree with #1 as well. Flynn really hadn't played enough and Manning really stole any thunder he had in the FA market

I would couple the AJ Hawk signing with letting Jenkins go. Jenkins would have stayed for less than what Hawk signed for, if only the Packers had wanted to keep him.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
I don't know. The level of hatred towards TT was like none I have personally witnessed. I have had exposure to Chiefs, Seahawks, Vikings, Charger, Cardinal, and Raider football and I have never seen anything like it. Even when the Seahawks and the Vikings really sucked, their fans were not as ridiculous in their animosity. They didn't like what their team was doing, but they were supportive and would never stoop to such low levels. Strange as I write this because in all my travels, Wisconsin people have always been a noticeable improvement in quality of person.

Its just strange that TT has been doing such a great job and the hateful crowd knew no bounds of decency.

I have not lived in Wisconsin for over 25 years, so I did not witness the local situation when TT traded Favre. I only read and saw the news from the internet or international news (or on this forum). Guess I was insulated.

However, I have lived in the UK for quite some time and, here, the futbol (soccer) sporting stars and managers get no relief. The media and public are horrendous in their critique at the slightest issue. I also lived near NYC a number of years ago and saw much the same. In fact, the entire East Coast, from Boston down to Philly, seem to be full of venom just waiting for an opportunity to spew forth. I would not want to be coach or general manager for any of those teams.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Same people that raised kids that screamed FU to Rodgers his 1st day as starter...And they said that Rodger fans were rude?

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Farveites will never like him--who cares?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that there are two possibilities here, which are not mutually exclusive:

#1) The article writer [BleacherReport] just isn't a good analyst of Packer football (I think he's only in his early 20s)

#2) You have to turn over every rock to compile a list of the 5 worst moves that Thompson has made.

shield4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say #1 is Harrell ... cause that's wasting a 1st round pick in the garbage. #2 would be letting Jenkins go.

Members online

Latest posts