The Bright Side Of Things

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am an eternal optimist. I spring out of bed a minute before the alarm goes off. In the winter, I peak out the window in the hope that it snowed. I am that person that everyone hates as they huddle around their mug of morning coffee. Oh yeah, I don't drink coffee either. No morning caffeine needed!

Without further ado, below is my list of the bright side assuming Rodgers is gone:

- cheaper/easier tickets to attend a game at Lambeau in 2021
- games against the Bears may not be boring blowouts, they might be competitive!
- more space under the salary cap to bring in free agents
- no more hearing about the quarterback's current girlfriend
- our QB might support the local dairy industry
- nobody will feel the desire to watch Jeopardy unless they actually like the show
- we will have a bunch of extra draft picks from whatever blockbuster trade occurs (assuming he doesn't retire)
- nobody will need to plan their ice fishing weekends around Packers playoff games

What did I miss?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Brian, you certainly are looking on the bright side of life.

Just out of curiosity what is Jordan Loves relationship status. I'm sure we all want to know.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
-Hollywood will step farther away from Green Bay and everything associated with the Packers.

-Our WR group instantly becomes better relative to the QB play and expectations LOL

-2022 and 2023 drafts could be a blast scouting for and predicting directions we go with all that extra capital.

Reaction score
I’d use our acquired day 1 draft pick next season from the Rodgers trade at WR.

I’m excited just to see a different QB in this system and how the supporting cast interacts with them. I have 100% confidence that MLF can mold a QB to bring out their best in this system if they put their full confidence in him.

I like the idea of having the draft firepower to inject multiple round 1 AND day 2 selections in consecutive years 2022-23 drafts.

It will be super fun to watch a draft where WE are stacking talent early, instead of the usual picking last.

I like we can get creative with resigning our own best players instead of sending them packing like Linsley and we will have the resources to do it spread through 2023

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am an eternal optimist. I spring out of bed a minute before the alarm goes off.
I envy you there. I've always wanted to be a morning person, but I am a slow starter, and get more energetic as the day goes on.

games against the Bears may not be boring blowouts, they might be competitive!
As long as we are on the winning side, I will take a blowout against the Bears every time.

TEXPAC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We won’t have to watch him pout and blame everyone else when something goes wrong.......

Reaction score
Given Rodgers' famous tendency to have chips on his shoulder, he'd likely be highly motivated to beat us 38-0. It would be cool if we had a defense that would shut him down though. If it comes to that.
We’d know all his weaknesses. It’s not like we don’t have film to study the Kryptonite. As long as he’s not in our division I’m not overly concerned. If he’s in the AFC, it’s a very low probability we’d ever play him in a SB. Exception of a regular season game every 4 seasons.

Also for us at least Brady should retire in 1-2 seasons. Rodgers could be up against Mahomes pretty regular for 5 seasons. Good luck!

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
*pinches himself wondering if he just woke up and started reading a Lions Fan page* :coffee:

While I don't want to move on from Rodgers, the time never really was all that far away and why not get as much as we can, while we can, especially if the guy doesn't want to play in Green Bay anymore.

All that said, I think we are in for a much bumpier ride than some want to admit to. I predict for a few years we will be talking about what the Packers have to do to make the playoffs again, then hopefully a few years after that, we can talk about a trip to the SB. Maybe all those draft picks we get from Rodgers will speed it up by a year or 2, but we won't be the first or the last team to suddenly wish they had a FHOF QB.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I predict for a few years we will be talking about what the Packers have to do to make the playoffs again, then hopefully a few years after that, we can talk about a trip to the SB.
Maybe. Or maybe people will be talking about how the team squandered the last 10 years when we had a real window of opportunity. Especially if Rodgers goes somewhere else and wins a Super Bowl.

Reaction score
Other teams have a ton of film on Rodgers too. How has it worked out for them slowing him down???
Naw. I thought Tampa did a pretty good job I thought. 26 points all day at home? for the top Offense? nothing to be overly proud of.

How did Rodgers look on the road? He looked like Jordan Love playing power 5 Alabama (wink wink) and with a brand new staff and team. They run us into the dirt truth be told. Even #12 gets anxious when he’s harassed all day taking sacks.
Look at both Tampa games that’s your recipe, he lost both games, the first totally embarrassed and then they came into GB and backed it up, just to be sure. Certainly not an unbeatable QB IMO.

All QBs have weaknesses.. look at how they chased Mahomes around like a feral cat. He’s one of the best QB this decade and he was completely and thoroughly flustered. 9 points? I’d rather have a top performing D and consistent and efficient that doesn’t turn the ball over VS. Aaron Rodgers with a lopsided team and stinky ST unit to top it all.
It’s nothing personal I like Aaron Rodgers, but he’s not a spring chicken anymore.

Give me a stellar veteran Defender in trade. Then let’s select +4 1sts and 4-2nds (including ours over 2 drafts) and some $ capital to both lock our D best players down and maybe add a couple good FA’s from outside over 2 seasons ?
We’ll should conceivably have a Defense that we have not seen since 2010. In addition we play Denver like every 4 years and of Rodgers goes AFC? It’s very very unlikely we even see him in a SB from a statistical viewpoint.

We got to quit acting like Aaron Rodgers is invincible and being all timid. He’s human and he’s very beatable and we’ve been struggling to get it done even when he’s on absolute fire. Is he going to get substantially better than 48td’s? Even match it?
Or is it just possible he regresses a little , regresses a lot, gets hurt, retires unexpectedly, etc.. what then? We got 40+ tied up in one man who’s possibly not even playing? Not very smart

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Naw. I thought Tampa did a pretty good job I thought. 26 points all day at home? for the top Offense? nothing to be overly proud of.

How did Rodgers look on the road? He looked like Jordan Love playing power 5 Alabama (wink wink) and with a brand new staff and team. They run us into the dirt truth be told. Even #12 gets anxious when he’s harassed all day taking sacks.
Look at both Tampa games that’s your recipe, he lost both games, the first totally embarrassed and then they came into GB and backed it up, just to be sure. Certainly not an unbeatable QB IMO.

All QBs have weaknesses.. look at how they chased Mahomes around like a feral cat. He’s one of the best QB this decade and he was completely and thoroughly flustered. 9 points? I’d rather have a top performing D and consistent O than Aaron Rodgers with a lopsided team.

Give me a stellar veteran Defender in trade +4 1sts and 4-2nds (including ours) and some $ capital to both lock our D best players down and maybe add a couple good FA’s from outside over 2 seasons ?
We’ll have Defense that we have not seen since 2010. In addition we play Denver like every 4 years. It’s very unlikely we both make a SB to begin with.

We got to quit acting like Aaron is invincible. He’s human and he’s very beatable.

Building an elite defense that is capable of winning without a great QB is far more difficult than building a great team around a great QB. Just go look at the recent Super Bowl champs. I mean, I'd rather build a team around an elite kicker that could win every game (it would be hilarious) but that's just not possible.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am an eternal optimist. I spring out of bed a minute before the alarm goes off. In the winter, I peak out the window in the hope that it snowed. I am that person that everyone hates as they huddle around their mug of morning coffee. Oh yeah, I don't drink coffee either. No morning caffeine needed!

Without further ado, below is my list of the bright side assuming Rodgers is gone:

- cheaper/easier tickets to attend a game at Lambeau in 2021
- games against the Bears may not be boring blowouts, they might be competitive!
- more space under the salary cap to bring in free agents
- no more hearing about the quarterback's current girlfriend
- our QB might support the local dairy industry
- nobody will feel the desire to watch Jeopardy unless they actually like the show
- we will have a bunch of extra draft picks from whatever blockbuster trade occurs (assuming he doesn't retire)
- nobody will need to plan their ice fishing weekends around Packers playoff games

What did I miss?

Not that I wish for it, but the 08 season (first after Brett left) was kind of refreshing. A pallet cleanser. There is a weight of always expecting to be in the deep playoffs thatakes every mundane game (even preseason) agonizing at times.

Expecting to have a down year makes over achievement feel better.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Give me a stellar veteran Defender in trade. Then let’s select +4 1sts and 4-2nds (including ours over 2 drafts) and some $ capital to both lock our D best players down and maybe add a couple good FA’s from outside over 2 seasons ?
If we got two first round picks in a trade, do you think we would use two a year, or would Gute package the two together to move up? Or possibly a first and a second, or possibly... you get the idea.

Reaction score
Building an elite defense that is capable of winning without a great QB is far more difficult than building a great team around a great QB. Just go look at the recent Super Bowl champs. I mean, I'd rather build a team around an elite kicker that could win every game (it would be hilarious) but that's just not possible.
Is Jimmy Garoppolo great?

Reaction score
If we got two first round picks in a trade, do you think we would use two a year, or would Gute package the two together to move up? Or possibly a first and a second, or possibly... you get the idea.
Yes. I think likely use both separately in some capacity. Maybe move around slightly if needed using a day 3 selection or several for someone he was enamored with. That’s been his MO thus far anyway.

I Doubt he packages 1sts. Keep in mind we’d likely have 7 more day 3 selections beyond the possibly 5 selections before day 3 starts. That’s plenty of firepower to gyrate around enough to get your guy.

The only outlier I can see there is if there was a QB Gute thought was worthy and Love was regressing or injured or similar.

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is Jimmy Garoppolo great?

You just brought up one example, that didn't win a Super Bowl. Should I list out all the recent winners that won with great QBs? I never said it was impossible, just much, MUCH harder to build a defense that you can ride to a Super Bowl. QB lifts the performance of every player on offense and so a great QB improves an entire side of the football. There is no comparable position on defense that does the same thing, you have to find multiples elite players and many other good players on defense to build the kind of team that can ride the defense to a Super Bowl.

Reaction score
You just brought up one example
I chose the only example I need. SF is a team that functions in similar capacity to GB (actually technically vice versa) and has had recent success. More success than GB with a lesser QB.

SF smothered KC in the regular season 2019. They then went 13-3 and beat us down like a dog if you recall? That was Aaron Rodgers who had a meltdown. They were being kind to allow 20 points and that game was over by quarter before the 4th quarter started. The score never fully represented how outmatched we were. SF didn’t even throw the ball was it like 8-10 times and we were a #2 seed! That’s embarrassing and yes I watched that game and it was awful. I’m a Packer fan but that doesn’t mean I need to conceal the truth when asked.

SF then went on to the SB and led 20-10 until well into quarter 4! It wasn’t the SF QB to blame for allowing 2 TD’s inside 6 minutes. They came very close to SB champions with a far lesser QB than Rodgers.

I never said QB wasn't important. I’ve argued the importance of the QB position many times. But there’s more ways to skin a cat in the format of a MLF game type philosophy. Having a balanced team (leaning Defense if anything) is more important than a lopsided Team.

You sidestepped the question. A simple yes or no is fine

Is Garoppolo a great QB?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts