The Battle for the Green Bay Packers Nickel Defensive Back Will Be One to Watch

Who will be the Packers Nickel Defensive Back this coming season?

• Quinten Rollins

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • Ladarius Gunter

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Damarious Randall

Votes: 12 57.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 14.3%

• Total voters

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some high draft picks demoted to nickel duties in favor of a rookie and a guy cut by the Jaguars isn't all that exciting.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i kinda think it will start out rollins and be randall later in the season as king moves up the chart
though i am hoping king will just wow everybody out of the gate

D

Deleted member 6794

Some high draft picks demoted to nickel duties in favor of a rookie and a guy cut by the Jaguars isn't all that exciting.

Once again, the nickel cornerback is basically a starter in today's NFL. Therefore I don't consider it being a demotion.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Nickel in 2017 isn't much of a demotion, though I agree with your sentiment that the Packers' corner corps has a lot to prove.

But a 3rd corner should play 70+% snaps. I would think Randall is the easy favorite. Though he could also be the starter.

My guess is that in nickel, King and House will generally play outside and Randall inside. But sometimes the slot guy is the starter, and the "nickel" plays outside and pushes the corner inside in sub packages.

I think it's probably time that we rethink who starters are in the NFL. Most teams have three starting receivers and three starting corners.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it will be Gunter. I think that he's got the size and bulk to play better at the slot, but that's only assuming that we've got the horses to play on the outside. Otherwise he's our outside contingency plan.

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That is the key, can House and King be the corners they expect them to be?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've never been as down on Randall and Rollins as the rest. Maybe my memory is longer or weaker - one of the two. I saw them both excel their rookie seasons and then badly regress. Therefore I haven't written them off. Add in House and King and I think that we will be alright. I like the rest of our defense. They aren't top tier but good enough to support the offense.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think it will be Gunter. I think that he's got the size and bulk to play better at the slot, but that's only assuming that we've got the horses to play on the outside. Otherwise he's our outside contingency plan.

Gunter excels at pressing opposing receivers which is way tougher to do lining up in the slot. In addition he isn't agile enough to play inside.

I've never been as down on Randall and Rollins as the rest. Maybe my memory is longer or weaker - one of the two. I saw them both excel their rookie seasons and then badly regress. Therefore I haven't written them off. Add in House and King and I think that we will be alright. I like the rest of our defense. They aren't top tier but good enough to support the offense.

There's no reason to give up on either Randall or Rollins but they have to significantly improve this season. Unfortunately I don't share your optimism about the defense as there are huge question marks about the perimeter cornerbacks and edge rushers.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is as good as any place to say this. We haven't said all that much about Casey Hayward. If that guy is as good as everyone seems to think; how in the world did we let him go? Either he is a fluke and nobody in the league seems to know it or I have to question the brains of all the coaches dealing with our defensive backfield. I can't believe he was asking for too much money at the time.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think this is as good as any place to say this. We haven't said all that much about Casey Hayward. If that guy is as good as everyone seems to think; how in the world did we let him go? Either he is a fluke and nobody in the league seems to know it or I have to question the brains of all the coaches dealing with our defensive backfield. I can't believe he was asking for too much money at the time.

The Packers secondary was perceived a strength entering last season. Therefore there was no need to re-sign Hayward at the point he hit free agency.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No need to sign a guy who is put on the top 50 players in the NFL list? Got to disagree.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're posts about this are the definition of revisionist history. Where were you that offseason? Where are your posts disagreeing with the decision to let him go? There was NOBODY talking about keeping Hayward if he wanted starter money. We all would have liked him to stay, but not for the cash he wanted and got. Even as a backup, he was up and down. His one and only great showing was in slowing down Julio in that one awful game, when Capers didn't put him on Julio until the end. Hayward never showed anybody, at least on tape, that he had the chops to be a good starter. Therefore it's not fare to start posting now as if everyone should have known. There were few signs, if any, to go on. San Diego took a big chance and it worked out for them.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though you have a point; I am not a coach and am not there at all the practices watching the players. Yes it is Monday morning QBing but if he is as good as everyone seems to think he is and since he had a lot of interceptions for us when he was not hurt; I think it is the coaching staff's responsibility to realize what they have. Not a real big deal. Just not good that they missed it.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Though you have a point; I am not a coach and am not there at all the practices watching the players. Yes it is Monday morning QBing but if he is as good as everyone seems to think he is and since he had a lot of interceptions for us when he was not hurt; I think it is the coaching staff's responsibility to realize what they have. Not a real big deal. Just not good that they missed it.
How is he different than Rollins or Randell? Excelled as rookies and then struggled in year 2 with injuries.

There is only so much salary cap. Why waste it on a player at a position of strength? I guarantee you, if TT knew Shields would get injured, and our two rookies would get slowed by injuries in year 2, he would have signed Hayward.

As far as losing a great player, perhaps the system in LA allows him to get better stats? Perhaps he just started trying harder. There are many variables at play here. He was what he was here, a solid but not great player. If we resigned him, that is what we would still have.

Any idea what you will be posting next season? "I cant believe they didn't resign xxxxxxxx! Didnt they know yyyy and zzzz would both get injured?" We will have to wait a year for you to fill in the names.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

No need to sign a guy who is put on the top 50 players in the NFL list? Got to disagree.

You're using hindsight to criticize not re-signing Hayward. At the time he hit free agency it was the right move to let him walk away though.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am saying he was hurt a lot but that when he played well he got a lot of interceptions. It is the coaches job to see talent. And it obviously was not the right decision. And it seems...a whopper.

D

Deleted member 6794

I am saying he was hurt a lot but that when he played well he got a lot of interceptions. It is the coaches job to see talent. And it obviously was not the right decision. And it seems...a whopper.

Hayward wasn´t hurt a lot during his time with the Packers as he only missed most of the 2013 season because of a hamstring injury. He played in every single game in three out of his four seasons in Green Bay though. While it´s true that he had a lot of interceptions during his rookie season with six he only picked off another three over 32 games during his his last two years with the team.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that we can all agree, that in hindsight, it would have been good to sign Hayward. Most of us agree that it was the right move at the time, but as often happens, many variables conspire to make it not look so good a year or two later.

Moving forward, we still need the guys currently on our roster to step up. It will be interesting to see if Herb Waters can make a Shields-esque jump forward in camp this year. His days on the roster are numbered unless he can show that he's studied the playbook and mastered the techniques to switch sides of the ball. It's a crowded yet flawed DB roster, so he's got an opportunity.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Totally agree with 1st paragraph. Herb Waters ... I admit ignorance. But I hope all DBs get a chance in camp at various positions.

D

Deleted member 6794

Moving forward, we still need the guys currently on our roster to step up. It will be interesting to see if Herb Waters can make a Shields-esque jump forward in camp this year. His days on the roster are numbered unless he can show that he's studied the playbook and mastered the techniques to switch sides of the ball. It's a crowded yet flawed DB roster, so he's got an opportunity.

If the Packers are counting on Waters to have a huge impact this season the chances are pretty high the secondary will get torched by good offenses once again in 2017.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if you somehow if you got that from my post, but I don't think that the Packers are counting on Waters. He's the same as any team, a long shot that all teams take chances on to see if they pan out.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if you somehow if you got that from my post, but I don't think that the Packers are counting on Waters. He's the same as any team, a long shot that all teams take chances on to see if they pan out.

I understand that Waters is a long shot to even make the team but somehow I got the impression from your post that you might expect him to have an impact this season.

Members online

Latest posts