The 5th best rivalry in sports history...

GWheels

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I figured before I even saw it that Ohio St vs Michigan would be #1. At least the Packers vs Bears is the #1 NFL rivalry.

Guacamole

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
This story is just one mans opinion......I totally disagree with the Ohio State/Michigan rivalry, some years they don't even play each other. I agree with other top rivalries,mainly because basketball and baseball teams usually play thier arch rival more than twice a year. But to me nothing is bigger than a Packers/Bears game

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Venus vs Serena?? Lots of these "rivalries" aren't rivalries, just events in sport. Venus vs Serena maybe ranks in the top 100 of tennis events, but not in any thoughtful ranking of all-time sporting rivalries. The guy making this must have had a deadline he was facing to come up with something quick.

OP
OP
Texpackerfan

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Venus vs Serena?? Lots of these "rivalries" aren't rivalries, just events in sport. Venus vs Serena maybe ranks in the top 100 of tennis events, but not in any thoughtful ranking of all-time sporting rivalries. The guy making this must have had a deadline he was facing to come up with something quick.

You may be right. Haha. I was disappointed that when he wrote about the Cowboys and Packers rivalry, he only mentioned the 60's.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, he tries to tie in history with some of his "rivalries", but didn't bother to do much research. Pretty weak.

dbain21

Chicagoland Packer Fan
Reaction score
This was a pretty bad list. It seemed like the person that did it was just doing it off the top of their head the way they grouped together all the tennis rivalries. like- "lets just do this tennis rivalry, and while im thinking of it heres another one to add to the list"

Although I do agree with number 1. The ohio state-michigan rivalry is huge. It just hasnt been as big the past 5 years because The football rivalry has been so one sided. And you have to consider even though the list only says ohio state-michigan football, All of the sports teams have the same hate for each other whether it be basketball, baseball, you name it, so that makes the rivalry that much greater.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
If it's a bleacher report article, it is all based on opinion.

Most of the rivalries discussed over there, I disagree with...

Browns vs Steelers rivalry don't even exist anymore.
This may be hard to believe, but the Browns did beat the Steelers quite regularly at home during the 60's and 70's, and they owned them in the 80's. The way the Ravens can compete and manage a close game with them is no different than the old Cleveland Browns doing it to them years ago, but then again the Baltimore Ravens are indeed the old Browns. Same office, same team just have a logo on their helmet and different city.

The Bears and Packers is the oldest rivalry, and so far I believe it's the best one where the teams hate each other so much the game turns into a blood bath. It should be the #1 rivalry no doubt. Browns/Steelers rivalry has been a complete joke since they turned into the Ravens. Rams/49ers is not much of a rivalry like it was in the 80's and 90's. The only one that can compare to Chicago and GB is the Cowboys/Redskins rivalry, which also is not that exciting since Dallas has always won over 60% of the games between the two for every decade.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
These lists are fun, but of course they are just one man's opinion. That's because you could never get two or more people to agree on much of anything and there is even less chance when it is something as subjective and unquantifiable as a list like this. Lists like this are based on emotion and on bias/opinion and aren't capable of being "accurate", but they do give people like us a lot to talk and write about.
I think he hit some of them dead on, and others; well, he missed them by a mile. Then again, that too is just one man's opinion.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
def top 2. I mean games are still intense up til last second and players hate each other out there. But I just gotta feeling Duke/North Carolina is a bit more rowdy considering college basketball is huge at those two schools. Ohio St. is owning Michigan this last decade so that rivalry is kinda boring to watch since Buckeyes blow Wolverines out year in and year out. Red Sox and Yankees no one really cares anymore. Nothing matters til the postseason in baseball really. Dodgers...lol. Boston/LA blah NBA is boring until 2nd round of playoffs.

Nowadays:

1. Duke/NC
2. Bears/Pack
3. Alabama/Auburn
4. Toronto/Montreal has hatred regardless of season success

Members online

Latest posts