The 2017 Packers draft: a retrospective

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So according to what I've seen, we should wait three years to judge a draft. So let's do that with the 2017 draft: Teddy's last one. What does everyone think of this?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2017_draft.htm

2/33 Kevin King
Very average and has health issues. Will probably be gone when his contract expires.

2/61 Josh Jones
Bust. Now in Jacksonville

3/93 Montravius Adams
I gotta be honest. I don't even remember this name. Is he even on the team now?

4/108 Vince Biegel
Bust. Now in Miami

4/134 Jamaal Williams
The first hit of the draft. One of the best backup RBs in the NFL

5/175 Deangelo Yancey
Total bust. Didn't make the cut and is out of football

5/182 Aaron Jones
Huge hit. Easily the best of the bunch, so of course the team is going to let him walk when his contract expires in favor of AJ Dillon.

6/212 Kofi Amichia
Bust. Has bounced around the league as a practice squad guy now in San Francisco

7/238 Devante Mays
Bust. Four carries for one yard in his career. Now in Jacksonville

7/247 Malachi Dupre
Bust. Didn't make the cut and out of football after one game for Arizona.

I'd give this draft a D+. It seems to me we see these kinds of drafts more often than not from this team. Heck, nobody's left from 2015. No matter what happens on Day 3 today I just don't have much hope for this class.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King just played what was basically his first full season and while he was inconsistent at times he looked really good at others. If he stays healthy I think he'll turn into a really good corner, but alas he might not stay healthy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King is better than average but he has been hurt a lot.

The 2nd rd Jones was a talented flop because of attitude. Flashed some plays as a rookie then pretty much took himself right off the team.

Adams looks like another flop. He has talent too. Sometimes his moves to the backfield are quick, but he often can't then make the play and many other times is taken right out of it. Poor pick.

Williams was a fine pick.

Jones was a great pick. Zero chance I'd be in favor of paying a slightly built RB or a RB of almost any stature a 10+ million dollar a year contract in this league anymore. and he's going to be looking for that.

5th and later can hardly be labeled busts, at least in my book. The odds of 5th rounders or later sticking around in the league for a while are pretty low. When the expectation is they likely don't make it past a year or 2, is it really a bust when they don't make it?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones was drafted to be a playmaking nickel/safety in Capers defense and then we switched schemes. In Pettines defense he just didnt fit anywhere. Not much of a conventional safety not physical enough at backer and not enough coverage ability as a typical nickel back. Now if prime time traveling Nick Collins walked in the front door and took up with us playing single high free safety like he did expertly in 2010 then Jones might have found new life as an in the box safety.

Latest posts