Texas tight end says Packers on his trail

Heatherthepackgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to the Journal Sentinel
Posted: Feb. 21, 2008

On Wednesday, the Packers cut ties with Franks. And now, for the first time since 2000, the Packers might use a relatively high draft pick on a tight end.

"Green Bay, they've been on me," said Jermichael Finley, a junior from the University of Texas. "They've been on me real hard. I think I'd fit in real nice there. That's who's showing me the most love. They need a tight end, so that's why I'm, like, interested in them."

The Packers figure to be interested in several of the tight ends who are attending the NFL scouting combine at the RCA Dome and will get a first-hand look at them over the next couple of days. Tight ends will do their weightlifting today, then run the 40-yard dash and do agility drills on Saturday.

The general crop of tight ends is considered above average, so Green Bay should have a decent chance to add a player who can have an impact.

"I have great confidence in our personnel department," Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said. "And I'm sure things will work out as they always seem to do."

Green Bay's Donald Lee had a breakout season in which he caught 48 passes for 575 yards and six touchdowns and was named a Pro Bowl alternate. Lee. 27, parlayed his big season into a four-year, $11.9 million contract extension, but the Packers would love to find a younger player to complement him.

Southern California's Fred Davis is widely regarded as the best tight end in this class and the only player worthy of a first-round pick. But others such as Notre Dame's John Carlson, Missouri's Martin Rucker and Tennessee's Brad Cottam, along with underclassmen Martellus Bennett of Texas A&M and Texas' Finley, could all go in the first three rounds.

"It's a good group," 49ers general manager Scot McCloughan said.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know about everyone else, but i read the article in the other post and thought this guy was a "gimme the ball *******". I might be over looking this guy or this guys attitude but we usually draft and sign fairly unselfish and hard working guys. IMO

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres some Youtube vids of him:

Video 1

Video 2

He looks like a Wide receiver and the videos seem to focus on his pass catching skills. That's nice and all, but he's got to block too. He's definately got some pass catching chops though along with speed.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Heres some Youtube vids of him:

Video 1

Video 2

He looks like a Wide receiver and the videos seem to focus on his pass catching skills. That's nice and all, but he's got to block too. He's definately got some pass catching chops though along with speed.

Saw his combine weight in, hes way way skinny to play TE in the NFL atm. hes a red shirt sophmore and comes across as not the brightest of chaps!

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
You're not alone Gattocheese, I thought the guy had a huge ego. Better not to go after players like that...

Get him in a locker room with Driver, Jennings, Lee, and Favre. He'll shut up.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're not alone Gattocheese, I thought the guy had a huge ego. Better not to go after players like that...

I tend to agree here. A good locker room can handle anything. Right now the Packers have to have one of the better locker rooms in the NFL.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sounds like this d-bag is trying to push his stock up with "threats" to other teams that he will be gone in a round once the Packers pick. ie, if he's projected to go early 4th, someone may take him in the 3rd before the Packers pick at the end of that round.

We obviously need a TE, but I like how TT is freeing up cap space. I'm fully expecting a big splash in FA this season. Maybe Asante or Moss? :shrug: Or Crumpler? I like those ideas....

bigfog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think this is a smokescreen, to be honest. Donald Lee is a very good player, and if a TE is drafted, I don't see it being this guy. Green Bay's offense needs a bigger guy, and he's a glorified wide receiver.

Don't do it Ted!

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He really needs to learn to fight for the extra yard. He goes down on the first hit almost every time.

i totally agree. he looked like the most frustrating player ever.

He looks to have good speed, great hands and above average body control. but thats it.

with that little frame. Linebackers will toss him aside like a rag.

he goes down almost every time on the first hit. frustrating.
he seemed fast in a straight line but not that quick or slippery. frustrating
several times in a "highlight" video he catches the ball about a yard short of a first down. FRUSTRATING. know where your at and get the first down.

of course im just judging off of a you tube video. if Ted likes him. I LIKE HIM.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He seems to get YAC rather easily, IMO. Of course, after Bubba most any TE would look fast. As far as blocking goes, if I recall correctly, Keith Jackson refused to block anyone. It wasn't his thing but he did well for us anyway.

Gattocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I dunno. I take into a not totally similar-but close player Jeremy Shockey. Most the players on the Giants have good work ethic and classy players. Now IMO, having Shockey get hurt caused Eli's confidence to rise and the team play better as a whole. I am not saying we are the Giants and I know we have more hard working classy guys working on our field and in our locker room. But the guy already has an ego from here to beyond and back, I just dont want to be put in any bad situation now or in the future.

He may end up being a great player, but those unhappy gimme players rub my packer senses the wrong way.

Latest posts