Texans sign Antonio Smith

The Coordinator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defensive end Antonio Smith expected to visit the Texans before moving on to the New York Giants and Tampa Bay. He said Philadelphia, Atlanta, Seattle and St. Louis also were interested.

"But as soon as I shook hands with coach (Gary Kubiak), I knew there could be something special here," Smith said today. "From the moment I got here, everybody made me feel at home. And now I have a new home."

Kubiak, general manager Rick Smith and defensive coordinator Frank Bush didn't want to let Smith leave and take more visits. Rick Smith and agent Drew Rosenhaus worked out a five-year, $35 million contract that included a $12.5 million signing bonus.

After five years with Arizona, Smith, 27, has a new team.

"I know what I bring to the table," said Smith, who played at Oklahoma State and was a fifth-round pick by the Cardinals in 2004. "I'm going to work so hard for them. I'm all about my teammates, and I can't wait to play opposite Mario (Williams). I've been watching him the last two years, and we're going to feed off each other and get after people."

Smith will be reunited with Bush, who was linebackers coach and assistant head coach during Smith's first three seasons at Arizona.

"Antonio's worked so hard to get where he is today," Bush said. "I've watched him go from the practice squad to a part-time player to a starter. I think he'll flourish in our system. Playing the left side he has to be strong enough to fight through double-team blocks with the tight end, and when the tight end goes out on a route, he's got to beat the tackle, too. I think he can do that."

While signing Smith was the big news today, the Texans also brought in their second free agent quarterback, Dan Orlovsky. He had 1,616 yards, eight touchdowns and eight interceptions for the winless Lions last season. The first quarterback to visit was Patrick Ramsey, who spent the last two seasons as the backup in Denver.

[email protected]

Latest posts