Ted Thompson weathers criticism, season of injuries

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers news | Green Bay Packers GM Ted Thompson weathers criticism, season of injuries | Green Bay Press-Gazette

I heard Bob say this on Milwaukee ESPN?? radio this week

And I agree with it..We all know Ted sucks at public speaking, but this shows that the Packers KNEW he sucked at it..But didnt care

Somebody said, he’s not real good with the media,” said Harlan, the team’s president at the time.

Harlan, a former public relations man himself, understood more than most in the NFL the value of a favorable public image. Nevertheless, he couldn’t help but chuckle at the assessment.

“I said, I’m not hiring him to be good with the media,” Harlan recalled with a laugh.

Then, he turned serious.

“I’m hiring him to build us a football team,” Harlan said emphatically.

Seven players who started the season opener at Philadelphia on Sept. 12 sustained season-ending injuries

Thompson’s was Harlan’s choice from the moment he decided to strip Sherman of the general manager job. He made that decision early in the 2004 season after watching the Packers fall to 1-3 with a listless 14-7 loss to the New York Giants at home. That week, Harlan noticed that Sherman had become so preoccupied with cornerback Mike McKenzie’s holdout that it got in the way of his game preparation.

Harlan was so sure he could land Thompson that he didn’t have a second choice in mind.

He reached out to Wolf. He didn’t tell Wolf why he was asking but said: “If I wanted someone to come in here and do for me now what you did for me in 1991, do you have someone you’d recommend?”

Wolf’s answer was brief.

“He told me, ‘Absolutely. Ted Thompson,’” Harlan said. “He answered my question and we hung up. We didn’t talk about another thing.”

Members online

Latest posts