Take 2 point conversions from 15 yard line?

D

Deleted member 6794

There are no stats for 2 point conversions from the 15 and other plays from the 15 are not a comparable situation. How many times have you seen offenses bog down inside the 5 yard line due to the compressed field they have to play on? It happens all the time.

Trying a two-point conversion from the 15 is exactly the same situation as facing third or fourth-and-goal from there. As I've pointed out earlier the success rate on those plays is at 10%. After being presented with these numbers common sense strongly suggests that it's a terrible idea.

The problem is that we pass for 2 point attempts almost every time and we have had almost no success at it from the 2. The field is simply too compressed for receivers to get any separation and Rodgers can only see a smaller portion of the field at any given moment. The advantages of going from the 15 are that there is room for our highly talented receivers to get separation and Rodgers can scan the field much more efficiently. If I had my way we would run Lacy or fake and bootleg every time. But we have a long history of lining up 4 and 5 receivers for these plays and it simply doesn't work from that range. If we insist on using these formations for 2 point conversion, there's no doubt they would be more successful from a little further away.

There's no doubt that play calling has been terrible going for two. I want McCarthy and Clements to at least mix it up more often but that doesn't mean they should try it from the 15.

H

HardRightEdge

You're wrong. The Packers have only had a single play on third- or fourth-and-goal from the 15 since 2000 but didn't score on it. They had five plays with goal-to-go on all down but didn't score on any of them either.
I got out my slide rule and determined that it is much, much easier to get 2 yards than 15 yards in every conceivable scenario. Imagine my surprise. ;)

H

HardRightEdge

It will be interesting to see how coaches use this new after TD point system. I think some teams will be going for 2 a lot more then others. But will those teams that start getting 2 scored against them, abandon the 1 point and play catch up by going for 2?
In line with my prediction, Belichick said recently that he intends to us the 2 point option. To what degree remains to be seen.

Of course, he could be lying in order to induce opponents to waste preparation time. ;) I doubt that for a couple of reasons. He's been notable for breaking with conventional wisdom in certain down-distance-clock-scoreboard situations. Also, he's been perhaps the most vocal critic of the automatic EP kick over the last couple of years, justifiably so.

I think the Bills might be a candidate as well. They're going "ground and pound" on offense, while their dubious collection of QBs will likely result in their needing every point they can get. Conversely, their defense plays with seeming indifference to the scoreboard. Miss an extra point and give the opponent momentum? I don't think "momentum" is in their defensive make-up.

The degree to which a team increases the frequency of 2-point attempts over time will not be determined solely on the success it has against them; it will likely be a function of how it works out across the league.

In the end, it will be a minor footnote to the 2015 season. As the process evolves, and the EP kick is moved back further at some future date as I would expect, the impact will be more noticeable.

Latest posts