Tak to the Pack?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I like about Joe as well.

Its really fascinating to me how most older coaches refuse to adapt and grow with the changing of the times.

Outliers like Belichick and Reid were humble enough to adjust their ego, which is essential to sustain excellence.
Yeah and that's why 10 years with one team is like some invisible cutoff for a HC. After ten years you're out of ideas and go back to old playbooks. We saw it with MM. He just got stale. But there are exceptions. Tomlin in Pittsburgh is the most obvious example. He's taken some pretty average teams the last 5 years or so and at least got them in the playoffs. That's harder than managing a very talented team.

And it might be true at the coordinator level. I think if a guy is good and has 5 or 6 years under his belt, HC should be in the near future. and then you get guys like Rich Bisaccia who are happy to stay as a coordinator. Nothing wrong with that as long as the units keep producing. That's one reason guys move around. I mean could Bisaccia have asked for a bigger challenge than GB STs? Doubt it.

D

Deleted member 6794

Among the best scoring defenses? Interesting point. We know Douglas can take the ball away and put up points. Stokes is coming into his own and I expect he'll have at least 1 or 2 pic sixes this year and more INTs. Ditto for Alexander. Campbell and Quay can generate TOs I think. And I consider points off turnovers as attributable, at least in part, to the D. Where else do you see this D helping with scoring? I would also say the team is gonna need it. In the past points scored by the D and after takeaways were "nice to have". With unknowns on offense, I'd say D scoring is more of a "gotta have". Same with STs if Bisaccia can get them in shape. I expect he will.

I was talking about expecting the Packers defense to be among the top units in points allowed this season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking about expecting the Packers defense to be among the top units in points allowed this season.
Gotcha. Well that's a very important metric, one of the most important. And I'd rather see them focus on shutting down an offense first, takeaways second and when the opportunity is there. Just my opinion, but if a player's first goal is to take away the ball there's a greater chance of a missed tackle and a big gain. Get em to the ground first. An aggressive D will force the O to make mistakes anyway.

Capitol 8805

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Back to the original post Tak to the Pack. I would love this signing. I feel a Tak or Trey Flowers signing would bolster this defense. If you are a FA pass rusher how can you not consider the Pack. Look at the potential production of the DL Clark, Lowery, Reed, Wyatt, Slaton plus Smith, and Gary. Lots of opportunities for one on one situations.

D

Deleted member 6794

Back to the original post Tak to the Pack. I would love this signing. I feel a Tak or Trey Flowers signing would bolster this defense. If you are a FA pass rusher how can you not consider the Pack. Look at the potential production of the DL Clark, Lowery, Reed, Wyatt, Slaton plus Smith, and Gary. Lots of opportunities for one on one situations.

Both Flowers and McKinley haven't been productive as of late. While it might be worth taking a gamble bringing in one of them for a reasonable deal it's entirely possible both of them are still asking for too much money to make any sense.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah and that's why 10 years with one team is like some invisible cutoff for a HC. After ten years you're out of ideas and go back to old playbooks. We saw it with MM. He just got stale. But there are exceptions. Tomlin in Pittsburgh is the most obvious example. He's taken some pretty average teams the last 5 years or so and at least got them in the playoffs. That's harder than managing a very talented team.

And it might be true at the coordinator level. I think if a guy is good and has 5 or 6 years under his belt, HC should be in the near future. and then you get guys like Rich Bisaccia who are happy to stay as a coordinator. Nothing wrong with that as long as the units keep producing. That's one reason guys move around. I mean could Bisaccia have asked for a bigger challenge than GB STs? Doubt it.
Great point about Tomlin.

He is just the ultimate leader.

A great CEO for a historic franchise.

He expertly delegates responsibilities, holds everyone accountable, and most importantly holds himself accountable.

He is almost a class in itself. He's not old school or new school just timeless.

OP
OP
McKnowledge

McKnowledge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both Flowers and McKinley haven't been productive as of late. While it might be worth taking a gamble bringing in one of them for a reasonable deal it's entirely possible both of them are still asking for too much money to make any sense.
I understand players getting what they feel they're worth, but it's getting late in free agency.

The market is clearly sending the message that finding the right environment to thrive in is just as important as the money.

Take a 1-year deal, lock in, produce, and enhance your value next off-season.

D

Deleted member 6794

I understand players getting what they feel they're worth, but it's getting late in free agency.

The market is clearly sending the message that finding the right environment to thrive in is just as important as the money.

Take a 1-year deal, lock in, produce, and enhance your value next off-season.

Don't get me wrong, I would be prefer having either Flowers or McKinley as the #3 OLB over Enagbare, Galaei or Garvin as well but I don't feel comfortable about offering them a decent contract though.

Reaction score
The '96 #1 scoring defense followed 2 years of top 5 scoring defenses. Expecting this years team to leap from low teens to the top of the heap is a big ask.
Yeah I agree. #1 on paper etc.. means potentially. Potential needs time to peak.

Normally a top Defense doesn’t come from nowhere. It growth from young players mixed with veterans peaking. I could totally see this Defense finishing top 5 in scoring (for 2022). That’s needs to be the type build up transition to a #1 type unit in 2023.

Don’t get me wrong, anything is possible. Yet a #5 scoring Defense would be extremely formidable with that teams QB being Brady, Rodgers, Mahommes etc..

See 1993-1995 transition. Click on team info to see D ratings

As much focus has been at attaining another veteran O weapon, I’d argue having a 3rd Edge who presents no noticeable production “dropoff” would be very formidable. It would also give us a more robust feel of Preston or Gary missed any time. If we find an answer at #3 Edge in any capacity, we’re going to be scary good in Defense. I still think Wyatt can play more of that support DE role now that we’ve added Reed inside. Wyatt or Walker gives us the most immediate answer right now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

As much focus has been at attaining another veteran O weapon, I’d argue having a 3rd Edge who presents no noticeable production “dropoff” would be very formidable. It would also give us a more robust feel of Preston or Gary missed any time. If we find an answer at #3 Edge in any capacity, we’re going to be scary good in Defense. I still think Wyatt can play more of that support DE role now that we’ve added Reed inside. Wyatt or Walker gives us the most immediate answer right now.

I'm not sure I understand your post correctly but neither Walker nor Wyatt should be considered the #3 outside linebacker. While both of them might be able to have an impact lining up on the edge occasionally there's no reason to believe either one of them would excel doing it on a regular basis.

Members online

Latest posts