Studs n duds Rams

Reaction score
Not so sure we run that play if circumstances were different. I.E. Different opponent, different quarter, different score, different defense, different point in the season. The Rams were toast at that moment. Turning it over on downs meant an inept offense would have to go 95 yards with no Timeouts and less than 2 minutes to go. And...still get it back with an onside kick and score again. So just run it and let's get the he'll outta here.
Yes. I side with Matt there. Let’s be respectful to our opponent any chance we get. Some people call it Karma, I call it God. Do unto others etc..

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kind of how it was with Driver, Jennings, Cobb, Jordy, Adams, J.Jones and now a budding connection with Doubs.
you probably don't remember because you didn't follow the colts, you saw highlights every week. But it's not hard to stay in synch when almost every single year in Indy you had Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Pollard etc.

He had his guys when he was hitting his stride and posting 65+% completion percentages. Early on he was around 60%
Then he went to Denver and prior to be carried by defense he had Stokley, Decker and Thomas. Show me when he didn't miss passes with a steady rotation of rookies and a #2-3 level WR as his go to guys.
Not out of sync but not SO out of sync. I saw a lot of Colts games because of NFL Season Pass on Directv. The chemistry was not perfect but it appeared to be consistently better than any team in the league including Brady and the Pats. In fact it was frightening. Manning had an answer for almost everything.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta be honest. I'm glad we won obviously. But if that had been a better team the outcome would probably be much different. Still too many mistakes. The team as a whole does not look like a cohesive unit.
Well described.

Reaction score
I gotta be honest. I'm glad we won obviously. But if that had been a better team the outcome would probably be much different. Still too many mistakes. The team as a whole does not look like a cohesive unit.
We just can’t seem to get a solid B+ or better game from all 3 phases. It seems like when one phase excels another regresses.
Defense = A-
ST = B+
Offense =B-

Sooner or later you need that to be a reasonable..
Defense B+
ST A-
Offense A-

You can tell we have not reached potential. It’s a little late in the season but then again you want to ideally peak in the postseason, not week 7 or 10 or week 14 like some teams do.

Last edited:

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We just can’t seem to get a solid B+ or better game from all 3 phases. It seems like when one phase excels another regresses.
Defense = A-
ST = B+
Offense =B-

Sooner or later you need that to be a reasonable..
Defense B+
ST A-
Offense A-

You can tell we have not reached potential. It’s a little late in the season but then again you want to ideally peak in the postseason, not week 7 or 10 or week 14 like some teams do.
It is the fact that we never reached any high point this season that we are in the present predicament. Instead of wondering what seed or what WC we would be. Peaking now or even Week 18 likely will not matter.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
THEY ALL DO. Go watch Mahomes, go watch the current MVP candidates in him or Jalen Hurts, watch any of them and see how many times the coverage is tight or they're throwing it into defenders downfield and letting their guy go make the play.

If Rodgers over threw or not, Lazard should not have stopped that particular route IMO, and if he kept running it, it's likely "on him" like it should have been. Maybe Rodgers was wrong. But I don't think it's normal or regular for a receiver running a post route to stop in a zone regardless of if it was a good or bad throw.

Call it a bad throw, worst that should have happened was incomplete pass. with Int certainly a possibility but nowhere near as easy. So was PI or a catch. we'll never know, because he stopped his route. and other times this year with defenders up field we've seen Lazard and others just keep on going and the ball lands 10 yards behind them.
The ball was already gone when Lazard decided to cut the route.
My take was that Lazard read the defense a hell of a lot better than Rodgers did on that particular play. He sat down and was wide open. Rodgers threw what would have been a contested catch. Yes, AR is a HOF, Lazard is an NFL #3. It isn't blasphemy to think that every once in a great while the WR is right and Rodgers is wrong.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take was that Lazard read the defense a hell of a lot better than Rodgers did on that particular play. He sat down and was wide open. Rodgers threw what would have been a contested catch. Yes, AR is a HOF, Lazard is an NFL #3. It isn't blasphemy to think that every once in a great while the WR is right and Rodgers is wrong.
Like I said, maybe it was a bad throw.

But, do you think receivers are to just let up on a post route? I don’t. If the read was to find an empty spot and sit down, he should rather just nonchalantly ease up.

Packerbacker1996

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree with you there. I thought same thing. Lazard did the right thing and AR didn't adjust. Things like tha will happened and the less accomplished player will take the blame whether deserved or not.

D

Deleted member 6794

For those of you that have been saying things like we have the most embarrassing defense in the league, I think you need to check out the points per possession they're giving up compared to the rest of the league as well as comparing it to the last five seasons to lend some perspective. I have no idea what those numbers would say but I'm guessing this season has been very close to average league-wide and close to the median for our past seasons.

The Packers defense currently ranks 20th in the league in points allowed per drive at 2.16. That number is actually on par with most seasons over the past five years aside of 2019 when they were significantly better.

I could not believe we didn't kick the field goal towards the end. Go up by 15.

I was definitely fine with the way the Packers finished the game.

And I hate to say because he has done pretty well, but I kind of cringe when Cobb is in there. Not because of him but because ARod seems to focus on him and throws it to him even when he is covered.

Aside of the Giants game Cobb hasn't been targeted more than six times in any game. Rodgers is definitely not focus on throwing to him.

I'm glad to see you called this an overthrow. I don't know what in hell Aikman was talking about. Throw the ball where Lazard will be covered or throw the ball right to him? Not much of a choice.

Rodgers threw that ball into coverage. Another of his jump balls? He had plenty of time to throw the ball right to Lazard who was wide open. I hate to break it to you but sometimes a QB throws the ball to the receiver. These are all just excuses. But I agree that Rodgers seems to prefer to throw to a spot, even when it is covered.

Agree with you there. I thought same thing. Lazard did the right thing and AR didn't adjust. Things like tha will happened and the less accomplished player will take the blame whether deserved or not.

I definitely thought Rodgers badly overthrew the ball on the interception. Lazard actually took the blame for it. I guess it won't matter to some of you anyway though.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dud-ish: Offense never felt like they hit their stride all night. Rodgers on the INT. Special teams coverage.

Aside of the interception, which was a terrible overthrow, Rodgers didn't have many bad passes. He had only eight incompletions on 30 attempts.

Int was on Lazard...he broke off his route after Rodgers released the ball. He was supposed to countinue upfield, had he, he makes the catch

Something similar happened between Kirk Cousins and Jalen Raegor on Sunday. I dont begin to know all the rules for reading defenses or when your supposed to break off a route vs not.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of the Giants game Cobb hasn't been targeted more than six times in any game. Rodgers is definitely not focus on throwing to him.
From my seat, it seems to me that when Cobb is in (which is not all that much); ARod is looking for him first most of the time.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though we had some sacks; It looked like Mayfield had plenty of time most of the time and so our pass rushing is suspect to me. If we give Tua that much time; he will complete a lot of passes.

Douglas has not looked as good this year as last to me. In fact he does not look good to me. Is he being played out of position this year or is the scheme not good for his ball hawking skills?

Doubs looked very good.

I could not believe we didn't kick the field goal towards the end Go up by 15.

Don't forget, they have mostert..

Even though we had some sacks; It looked like Mayfield had plenty of time most of the time and so our pass rushing is suspect to me. If we give Tua that much time; he will complete a lot of passes.

Douglas has not looked as good this year as last to me. In fact he does not look good to me. Is he being played out of position this year or is the scheme not good for his ball hawking skills?

Doubs looked very good.

I could not believe we didn't kick the field goal towards the end. Go up by 15.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostert will probably run all over them as well. Going to probably see another 300+ yard rushing performance against this lousy defense.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mostert will probably run all over them as well. Going to probably see another 300+ yard rushing performance against this lousy defense.
Yeah, Mostert really looks good. Don't know why SF let him get away. Another thing about Miami is that their pass rush is ferocious. They look like a better team than their record indicates.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All it shows is AR makes mistakes like every other player does.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perhaps Cobb doesn't get the separation he once did?
Maybe not. Probably not. Don't get me wrong. He can still play. It's just that when he is in, I feel like he is getting more attention from ARod than he should. If he is way open fine. If not check someone else out. And I would like to see more of Toure.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
From my seat, it seems to me that when Cobb is in (which is not all that much); ARod is looking for him first most of the time.
This is the most overblown statement that’s routinely made around here, which is assuming Rodgers is fixated on targeting a certain player.

Aside from Davante the past few years, there’s not a guy he fixates on. With Davante, it was warranted because he’s the best in the business and the drop off from him to others is more than significant.

Cobb had two massive chain moving grabs in this game that I can recall on slant routes. Those are key in sustaining drives and there really hasn’t been a consistent slot guy that can do that.

When Cobb is healthy, he’s that guy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even if that were true, so what? EVERY SINGLE QB in the league and especially the greats go to their most trusted and productive performers at key moments. Cobb has been that guy a few times this year. I don't feel he's forcing the ball to him at all. But Lazard, now Watson, Toure Even and Doubs a few times were targeted on important 3rd downs etc. I don't buy this notion he's locked in on Cobb at all.

If he's looking to him first, it's most likely because that's the progression of it all or Cobb sees something and rodgers sees something and they know what to do , he gets that step to the inside or out and they move the chains. Why is it somehow "bad" if Rodgers has a trusted guy? THEY ALL DO!

and Cobb has been nothing but productive this year. Big catches in big moments to keep drives alive.

It's like being mad at Brady for looking for Gronk.

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, Mostert really looks good. Don't know why SF let him get away. Another thing about Miami is that their pass rush is ferocious. They look like a better team than their record indicates.

No doubt about that pasrush! People laughed when I said Christian Wilkins was a guy I was hoping the Packers would draft. I was right on him!

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers defense currently ranks 20th in the league in points allowed per drive at 2.16. That number is actually on par with most seasons over the past five years aside of 2019 when they were significantly better.
Interesting number. Who has the best and worst ppp numbers this year? What was our 2020 point per possession numbers on offense? We had to be the best in the league in 2020? We hardly ever punted, kicked field goals or had turnovers that year.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said, maybe it was a bad throw.

But, do you think receivers are to just let up on a post route? I don’t. If the read was to find an empty spot and sit down, he should rather just nonchalantly ease up.
It seems Lazard has fallen on his sword on this one. Honestly a could go either way one which we may never know for sure. 9 out of 10 times I trust AR over the receiver. Watching live this was the time I sided with the WR.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the most overblown statement that’s routinely made around here, which is assuming Rodgers is fixated on targeting a certain player.

Aside from Davante the past few years, there’s not a guy he fixates on. With Davante, it was warranted because he’s the best in the business and the drop off from him to others is more than significant.

Cobb had two massive chain moving grabs in this game that I can recall on slant routes. Those are key in sustaining drives and there really hasn’t been a consistent slot guy that can do that.

When Cobb is healthy, he’s that guy.
One thing I did find interesting. After the interception on the Lazard target he was not targeted again the entire game. Coincidence? I think not.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems Lazard has fallen on his sword on this one. Honestly a could go either way one which we may never know for sure. 9 out of 10 times I trust AR over the receiver. Watching live this was the time I sided with the WR.
Sometimes a QB throws early either due to the rush or the coverage. I believe Rodgers had time to first look out there and let his eyes pop out at how open Lazard was. Then let it loose. It has been a year when our receivers have had little space if any. So Lazard being wide open was a shock to everyone.

Members online

Latest posts