STUDS AND DUDS: SF @ GB

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Now that the dust has settled and I've taken several deep breaths and 'counted to 10' 967 times, here's my impression of the opening game. This is based upon what I saw and McGinn's analysis - a must read for serious Packers fans IMO. http://www.jsonline.com/sports/pack...properly-against-49ers-ve6qa4t-169272666.html

On offense, one of the few pleasant surprises for me was the play of Newhouse and that's a big positive going forward if he can keep it up. Lang played OK and a big bad surprise was Bulaga wasn't his normal good self. Saturday gave up pressures inside and that's not good. Rodgers had an off day for him. His usual pin-point accuracy just wasn't there. Unlike many, I liked the play call on 3rd and 1 to go for it all to Jordy, but when the safety didn't bite on play-action Rodgers should have checked it down or tried to run for the first down. Even so, that pass was 'just off'. And he should have slid at the end of the first half to keep the clock running and if he had there probably wouldn't have been the momentum gaining 63-yarder. McGinn points out the INT occurred on one of the 5 plays (of 68) when Rodgers was under center. I wouldn't put too much into that but it is interesting IMO. One mostly overlooked effect of the replacement refs is the delay in placing the ball and starting the play clock: that lessens the advantage of the no-huddle or muddle-huddle the Packers are going to use a lot this season. And I just have to mention this: Any Packers fan advocating for the trading or waiving of Rodgers blatantly displays his/her bias against Thompson and probably unrealistic love for Favre. Rodgers won't replicate his awesome numbers from last season but he's not the problem. He's THE strength of the offense.

Benson got as much as there was to get IMO. The 9ers are good enough not to have to sell out to get pressure so the Packers' OL lack of ability to drive block in the running was highlighted. That game is exhibit one IMO why the OL is much more important than the running back in the run game. The Packers once held the great Barry Sanders to minus one yard rushing in a playoff game and it wasn't because Barry was hurt or wasn't trying: Even great RBs need some help. Jones and Cobb were the only WRs I saw make anyone miss. He had a good game but he couldn't separate from DBs deep. Driver wouldn't have played except for Jennings' departure at the end of the game. Nelson played 65 snaps, Jennings 63, and Jones 58 while Cobb played 35 snaps, most lining up in the backfield. That may have been because Green didn't play as the third down back but they've certainly found something for Cobb even when Green is back. It's obvious to me Cobb's snaps have to increase and if that means someone else has to watch the ball go over the end line on KORs, that's fine with me.

I was disappointed before the game to hear Mike Daniels was inactive. Except for Raji's pressure (McGinn says he was less active in the second half perhaps because of his ankle) the DL group was mostly invisible. This short week won't help regarding Raji, Pickett and others who are nicked up. McGinn calls LT Staley the 9ers best OL and Matthews handled him. Those who posted Bishop wouldn't be missed may want to watch DJ Smith's missed tackles and poor play again. Of course Bishop, last season's top tackler and "bad ***" will be missed. AJ Hawk played OK. IMO some are so prejudiced against him they highlight his bad plays more than others. Perry did a few things well IMO - he got pressure on one of Clay's sacks so Smith couldn't go to his right. Neither Perry or Hawk should be called upon to cover a WR BTW and when they can't, I blame the scheme, not the players.

Tramon didn't play as well as I'd hoped and Bush should be a reserve DB with Shields starting at CB opposite Williams, with Hayward first off the bench until House is ready. Shields willingness to tackle was a very good sign and earns him the starting spot IMO. Even if he never shows the toughness Bush does, he can cover and that's job 1. Toward the end of TC, I favored McMillian over MD Jennings and it took a missed tackle and a boneheaded play by Jennings for them to make the change. I hope it's permanent. I know McMillian will play like a rookie at times but he's more talented than Jennings and may as well get his feet wet now. Burnett missed a couple of tackles.

Some here think Capers should be fired immediately. One poster posted that Capers gets all the blame for poor performance but none of the credit for turnovers. Looking at Capers' history in Green Bay renders that a biased and/or foolish point of view IMO. Before the season Wilde reported that Capers, when asked about this D, said something like 'It'll be better in December', or as the season proceeds. Woodson, who isn't shy about expressing negative feelings said after the game "...we're going to be a good defense, trust me." It looked to me like their pass rush is indeed improved and that's important going forward. The most concerning thing was the confusion and blown assignments in the secondary. Until MD Jennings played himself out of the game, there wasn't a rookie in the D backfield so there was no excuse for that. Look, Capers isn't going anywhere at least until the end of the season. If the D doesn't play better, if receivers continue to run free in the D backfield on occasion, if they're in the bottom half of the league in scoring at the end of the season, he should be asked to resign. What I hope and expect is the D will indeed be getting better as the season progresses and by December, at the latest, that will be obvious.

The positives: Matthews was as good as or better than ever - IMO his best spot is ROLB - and their pressure was improved from last year. And that occurred against a run-first team. Cobb obviously: He needs to get more snaps on offense and I'd restrict him on STs to just PR. Newhouse: If he continues to play like that he'll be good enough at LT, but another big test is coming up Thursday of course. Shields was another positive IMO. He improved upon the biggest knock on him. Until Hayward gains enough experience or House gets healthy enough to approximate his play before his got injured, the starting CB spot should be Shields' IMO.

The negatives: Everything else.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting ThxJack that you had a much more positive evaluation of Marshall Newhouse's play than many others. I'll have to go back and take a look at that. If what you say is true, that's a huge plus for the Packers.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thoughts...

Driver didnt play much and imo should not be on the roster.

James Jones the guy that everyone wants to trade came to play

Cobb will develop into a beast

rodgers... seriously... wtf...

Matthews was beastin

Bush is amazing on STs and belongs on the team, just not as a corner

Collins is missed.

Was happy with the O line for the most past (Bulaga was shakey though)

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Interesting ThxJack that you had a much more positive evaluation of Marshall Newhouse's play than many others.
Yes, particularly compared to how he played last season. I expect Peppers to be a bigger challenge for Newhouse than Justin Smith - so I'm certainly not expecting anything close to a shutout. But overall, the Bears' D isn't as good as the 9ers - on any level IMO. The biggest difference from last year will probably be the targets they added for Cutler.

Marvin49

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hi Packer Fans.

I am a 49ers Fanatic. Fan doesn't quite cover it. I am NOT here though to give you grief over the game on Sunday. I just wanted to talk to you guys and hope that I could remove some of the doom and gloom.

First, while going to Green Bay scared the crap out of me, I was not at all surprised that the 49ers won. It isn't because I think the Niners are so much better. It's because I think the matchups are much more favorable. Why have the Packers lost in their last 2 games? Its simply because they played 2 teams that have the ability to do something most teams in the NFL can't do...put pressure on the QB with only 4 men. Whats more, the 49ers can stop the run with only 6. Thats how they won.

The Giants are even better at it. That is the weakness of the Packer O. If you can get there with 4 and drop 7, you have a much better chance to win. Coincidentally that is also the weakness of Tom Brady and the Pats and is the reason the Giants have also beaten them twice in the Super Bowl even when the Pats had FAR better records in the regular season.

The 49ers O is all new. Its a very complicated offense that innovates in the RUN game while all other teams are going pass happy. Watch the game again and you will be amazed by all of the different formations and shifts. Then again, I know you may not want to watch it again (I know the feeling....took me 3 months to watch the title game again).

That Packer O is NASTY. Aaron Rodgers is IMO the best QB in the NFL. I dunno if they will have a running game but don't walk away from this game thinking that they won't be able to run on anyone. Thats what the Niner D does. They destroy the run even when undermanned and are able to put tons of people into coverage. Peeps say all the time that the Secondary is a weakness in SF but what they miss is that teams are always behind and they can't run. The other team throws the hell out of the ball. Manning threw the ball 58 times in the NFC Championship. Brees put it up over 60 times.

So...basically, calm down. Your Pack are still one of the best teams in the NFL and have a very good shot at a title. Your problem is matchups. You don't match up well with the Giants or Niners. The Niners have the same problem if they were to play the Ravens because they are built the same way. The teams in their division have killer Ds as well. If they could ever get their offenses in order, Niners would have trouble.

Clay Matthews is a stud. Woodson is gonna be a great safety. That O will put up 50 on more than one team this year. The young rookies will improve on D. In a few weeks the Pack will be well on their way to another playoff run.

Finally, I have to say...I've been on alot of forums (Giants, Lions, Etc) and there are alot of fans over there who find it impossible to give credit where credit is due. I have applaud you all because I've seen NONE of that here. Otherwise, I wouldn't have even bothered with this post.

Peace.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts