Starr on rodgers

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay Packers legend Bart Starr praises QB Aaron Rodgers

By Mike Woods • Gannett Wisconsin Media • February 9, 2011

GRAND CHUTE — One is 77 years old, a gentleman's gentleman, who also happens to be an icon. Another is 27 and the hottest thing on the planet.

Additional information
(Links will open in a new window)
And then we have the prodigal son, age 41, who one day will see the light — we hope — and be welcomed back home with open arms.
Green Bay may be the most fortunate football team in NFL history. The cradle of quarterbacks, NFL version.
Over the past 40 years, it has produced one quarterback in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Bart Starr, another whose bust has a reserved spot on the waiting list in Brett Favre and another whose career is on the right trajectory to earn his place among the all-time greats in Aaron Rodgers.
On Monday at Fox Valley Technical College, the first Packers quarterback to win Super Bowl MVP honors was in the house talking about the second. And if you didn't know any better, it was like hearing father talk about son.
"I really admired the play of Aaron," said Starr, who was at FVTC as part of the school's leadership series and attended Sunday's Super Bowl XLV in Dallas. "He knows how we feel about him. I've never seen anyone who is so into a game, is so well-prepared, so poised, so confident, so productive. Just an unbelievable performing guy out there on the field. It was just a joy to watch him."
For Starr, knowing he's no longer the sole member of the Packers' Super Bowl MVP Club made the victory over the Steelers in Super Bowl XLV even better.
"I loved it," he said of Rodgers. "He's a wonderful man. We were very pleased and thrilled for him. And my wife (Cherry) and I were doing high-fives all over the place."
We all know Rodgers is a smart guy, and not just because he went to Cal. He watches, he observes and from afar he understands what Starr means to the people of Green Bay and, more importantly, why.
"You're revered in Green Bay for not only how you play but how you carry yourself and I think Bart Starr is a prime example of that," Rodgers said last week in Dallas. "He's a great guy who I've gotten to know and, obviously, someone I'd love to model my career after."
He's off to a good start on the field. He has a 4-1 postseason record with a 13-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a QB rating of 112.6 and one ring.
Starr was 9-1 in the playoffs with a 15-3 touchdown-to-interception ratio and a QB rating of 104.8 and five rings.
Off the field, we've all been witnesses to how Rodgers has handled the messy transition from Favre, his humbleness and his understanding of the quarterback's role and the realities that come with it.
Rodgers talked of conversations he's had and e-mails he's exchanged with Starr, and how they've been a source of help and inspiration.
But Starr being Starr, he takes no credit.
"I haven't given him advice," he said. "I've just encouraged him and said how much we love him and appreciate what he's done for the team and encourage him to just keep it going, that kind of thing. He doesn't need any advice … We just wanted to chat with him and wish him well and let him know that we're out here rooting for him all the time."
Still, when told of Rodgers' words, the legend couldn't help but smile.
"Well, I'm honored he would say that because he has a lot more physical talent than I did," Starr said. "This man is something special. I was blessed to be with some very, very special people. Being blessed like that, I could get by with being a little less talented. But this guy is unreal. He can carry the team with him."
As the conversation turned to the future of the Packers, Starr did not hold back his emotions.
"You win one, it is really worth something," he said, then raised his voice slightly, clenched his fist and got up on his toes as he added, "And it also drives you to want to go for another one."
Starr made it clear his belief is the Packers are equipped to do just that. Perhaps because he knows the Packers have a leader who is very much in his own likeness.
Mike Woods writes for The Post-Crescent of Appleton

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was Starr as excited for Favre?
Any inside scoop on their relationship?

Great article, BTW Blood.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice article on Rodgers from last week, prior to THE Game.

Ed and Darla Rodgers raised their kids in a Christian home. Their life in Chico, California was centered around church, family, and sports. Ed, a local chiropractor, credits his wife for helping to raise their three sons in a proper way. “My boys are humble,” he said to a local paper, “and that’s what makes us most proud.”

This Sunday, middle son, Aaron, will be on display with that humility, as he leads the Green Bay Packers in Super Bowl XLV against the Pittsburgh Steelers. In the Green Bay lockerroom, coaches and teammates know all about Aaron Rodgers leadership and quarterback skills. His arm strength has been described as “ridiculous.” His uncanny ability to find receivers and get the ball to them has made him the NFL all time career leader in passer rating at 98.4. But they also see the character that was developed at an early age.

“I grew up knowing what a stable relationship was by my parents example, and how it centered on Christ,” Rodgers says. “When our family had its ups and downs, I knew my parents relied on God for everything, and he always got us through the rough spots.” Until he was 17, Aaron says he went to church because his parents went to church.
But about this time, he began to make some choices with his buddies that he knew were not right. It was then he rededicated his life to the Lord. “Ever since then,” he says, “I fall on my face and get back up, get on my knees and confess, and keep on trying to live for Jesus.”

This would also describe his play. No one can question his toughness. After two concussions this year, Rodgers came back to lead the Packers to their first NFC championship since 1998.

It hasn’t been an easy road for Rodgers. After three years as a backup quarterback, he was called on to take the place of the legendary Brett Favre, who had been the starting QB for the Pack since 1992. His steady play was largely overshadowed by Favre’s “unretirement” and subsequent trade to the New York Jets.

Rodgers is used to being overlooked. After a fine high school career at Pleasant Valley High School, in Chico, he got exactly one Division 1 offer, and decided, instead, to go 30 miles down the road and play for Butte Community College in Oroville,

CA, Here he led the the team to a 10-1 record and a #2 national ranking. After one year, he signed to play for the University of California, leading them to a #5 national ranking in 2004. In the 2005 NFL draft, the Packers made him their #1 pick overall.

As a Christian, Aaron is a solid individual, but as one teammate said, “He will not stand on the bleachers and shout.” In fact, Aaron often quotes St. Francis of Assisi, who said, “Preach
the Gospel at all times and when necessary, use words.” He often quotes his favorite Bible passage of Psalm 91:1-2. It reads “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, ‘He is my refuge and my fortress, my God in whom I trust.

He may need that and more this Sunday night as he faces the onslaught of Troy Polamalu and the Steeler defense. But when it is all said and done, and the Lombardi trophy, named after the former Green Bay coach, is handed out to someone, Aaron Rodgers will walk away exemplifying the example of both his earthly and his heavenly Father. “I try to live my life in a way that reflects the Lord, he says. “I use that as a model as I relate to my friends and family, my teammates and coaches.

I want them to see that I really love and care for them as individuals. I try to build relationships. I feel if you are not personally invested in the people you spend every day with,
then you are missing out on building a relationship and wonderful life experiences. This is what I like about Jesus. Jesus is about relationships.” And you can besure that somewhere in that massive stadium on Sunday night, Ed and

Darla, and Luke and Jordan Rodgers will be proud of Aaron not just for what he does, but for who he is.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
awesome articles from both you guys, it's an awesome time to be a Packers fine right now, who knows...the future is looking pretty bright and we got a winning formula & the reassurance of the most successful QB in POST SEASON history...great stuff & I can't help but smile ear to ear reading it all

OP
OP
JBlood

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great article Frank. At a time when morals and religion have become naive it's refreshing to see a man grounded in both.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing the kind of faith and focus that Mr. Rodgers has, I don't think we can expect him to get into any kinds of legal troubles or scandals or carousing like a bad boy like our last QB.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
What's the difference in this pic?
One is a young focused QB who wants to help his team win and not give up on them even after winning a SB.
The other is cocky and arrogant and thinks that having a great arm is enough for preparation.

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is the greatest honor you can receive as a Packer QB. Bart Starr is my favorite packer of all time. And he has been 100% class from the begining. If Starr thinks your great.. Your great!

Members online

Latest posts