Something that needs fixin

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our offense has scored points on the opening drive every game this season..I think we are the only team in the league that has done that. As impressive as that is, I still have my concerns. In both games we have lost once the other team have adjusted and taken away what they were doing effectively the wheels tend to come off the offense. My biggest knock on MLF has been sometimes he has the McCarthy syndrome in as when the other teams figures us out? He has a hard time adjusting.

If you think I’m exaggerating go back and look at our loses under MLF. Usually we have lost ugly, and the offense has sputtered all while the defense is on the field after three plays getting shredded. I think that it would benefit the Offense to use more two rb sets and motion. We have three good receiving backs in Jones, Williams, and Ervin. They all may be better wrs than our actually WRs outside of Adams if we are being honest. Those screens and Jets force a defense to not be so aggressive and focus on multiple things. Until they find another legit receiving threat, the days of lining up in traditional sets should cease to exist.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jets and screens against Tampa would have just resulted in more TFL's. Against MN, we got taken out of what was working because of our defense than anything their defense did to make us ineffective.

They went up 28-14 and we basically had 4 possessions. one of those we shot ourselves in the foot after a pretty effective drive. anytime you're going 6-7 plays and 50-70 yards to scoring position and then commit penalties to take away that score, it hurts.

our defense couldn't get a dang stop and then we stopped ourselves. Then we got taken out of our plan. We ran the ball well in the first half, I don't think we hardly tried to run in the 2nd

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are still one of the top 3 scoring offenses in the league. IMO it isn't an offensive problem as much as it a defensive problem. If we let teams score at will against us it forces the offense to be perfect and no offense is perfect. We then get behind, become one dimensional and that kills us more than any adjustments MLF does or doesn't do.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We are still one of the top 3 scoring offenses in the league. IMO it isn't an offensive problem as much as it a defensive problem. If we let teams score at will against us it forces the offense to be perfect and no offense is perfect. We then get behind, become one dimensional and that kills us more than any adjustments MLF does or doesn't do.
those game situations and mistakes hurt. We're not built to score fast or if you get behind the sticks just wing out there and 1 out of 3 times is a 20+ yard play like it was in the past.

It doesn't need to be either. we need defense to at least hold them to FG's sometimes and our offense has to maintain discipline and not make it harder on themselves. You can win that way in the NFL, you can win a lot. It's not the team we want, but it's the team we have and it is good enough if they execute. Kind of like when we had firepower galore we still had to execute to win.

D

Deleted member 6794

I think Jets and screens against Tampa would have just resulted in more TFL's.

Once again, I think the problem is that the Packers don't have the talent to excel against good defenses.

The Bucs were by far the best unit we faced all season and the offense struggled mightily for three quarters.

Aside of the Niners (which were missing more key starters than any other team I can remember in a long time) every other opponent the Packers have faced has allowed more points per game than our defense.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tampa puts emphasis on inside out. Forces everything they can outside on both sides of the field. The key to beating them is inside. Quick slants in the Favre era inside will blow them up and make them play and bulk up in the middle which flexes the outside routes to becoming solid gold real estate. Not rocket science...but the Guards have gotta pull and demolish the ILBs, and a Fullback to lead in. Pro set inside the tackles.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I have a different read on the games where they've struggled offensively.

I think what those games have revealed is that LaFleur's scheme hides weaknesses among the personnel. And when they get behind, and thus can't execute the scheme as designed, those weaknesses can be exploited.

The point of the offense is deception. The Packers want to run and pass out of plays that look identical to the defense in terms personnel, pre-snap motion, and post-snap action. Playing within that system has allowed them to cover up for deficiencies such as their WR corps beyond Adams, or the ability of the tackles to hold up consistently in pass pro.

When the team falls beyond and has to operate in catch-up mode, they a) can't run the ball as much, and b) can't force the defense to honor the run.

This is what happened in the Tampa Bay game. Rodgers threw a pick, and then another pass off of Adams' hands was intercepted. Add in the first actual drive from TB, and they found themselves down two scores, and needed to play in catch up mode. But in a straight drop back offense, the OL couldn't protect.

So I see it as less of a failure of the coaching staff to make the adjustments, and more of a failure of the personnel to be able to execute the adjustments.

D

Deleted member 6794

So I see it as less of a failure of the coaching staff to make the adjustments, and more of a failure of the personnel to be able to execute the adjustments.

I would prefer coaching to be the main issue for the offense not being able to overcome adversity. Otherwise if a lack of talent is responsible for it there's no way the unit will be able to improve in that era over the course of the season.

Gutekunst should be blamed if that happens to be true.

Staff online

Latest posts