So what helmet is Rodgers wearing now??

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I heard Rodgers talking about wearing a new helmet from now on but he wouldn't really get into what was different about it. I am curious as to what the differences are. Apparently players are allowed to wear different helmets than the league sponsored Riddell helmets but the brand cannot be displayed on them.

I did some research and this is the helmet that Desean Jackson is wearing now, it's made by Schutt...

This is DeSean Jackson's new anti-concussion helmet - Shutdown Corner - NFL* - Yahoo! Sports

I guess it's got more cusioning and has air filled pockets to help with the absorbtion of impacts.

Sounds like his teammates were clowing him today, saying his face looked smashed up in it lol...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its pretty common for players to not like the newer style helmets because of the size. The vets clown the rookies in camp for wearing them. Oddly Clay Matthews has seemed to escape harassment for his speed helmet.

This will change alot in the next decade. Colleges are requiring players to wear some of the more expensive safer style helmets. Players hate changing styles. Many players wear the exact same helmet their whole career surprisingly so this change will take some time.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one thing from the article that I agreed with. I'm not sure why, if these helmets are so much safer, they aren't mandated by every team in the league?

If they need to stick with Riddell becuase of the sponsorship or whatever, Riddell makes a "Safer" helmet as well...

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one thing from the article that I agreed with. I'm not sure why, if these helmets are so much safer, they aren't mandated by every team in the league?

If they need to stick with Riddell becuase of the sponsorship or whatever, Riddell makes a "Safer" helmet as well...

As insane as it sounds if they mandated new helmets the NFLPA would cry foul especially now with the CBA being negotiated. They hate being forced to do new things.

Have you seen the thread I started in the atrium of my sports memorabilia? My favorite piece is my Earl Campbell helmet. Its a Riddell helmet with Rawlings logos taped on. He had a personal contract with rawlings I heard but loved wearing his Riddell helmet.

OP
OP
98Redbird

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As insane as it sounds if they mandated new helmets the NFLPA would cry foul especially now with the CBA being negotiated. They hate being forced to do new things.

Have you seen the thread I started in the atrium of my sports memorabilia? My favorite piece is my Earl Campbell helmet. Its a Riddell helmet with Rawlings logos taped on. He had a personal contract with rawlings I heard but loved wearing his Riddell helmet.

No, I haven't seen that, but that's kinda funny, I'll have to check that out.

Members online

Latest posts