Sit Down Jaire

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the offseason, the Packers brought in a consultant (think name is Greg Mueller) to address issues with the secondary. One of his recommendations was to have Jaire start out formations tighter in man coverage. When interviewed earlier this season, Jaire told a reporter he is given latitude to line up where he wants and he just prefers to line up farther off the ball.

I searched for this quote and did not find it. Could you provide your source? Who was the reporter? Thanks.

I'll end my rant here: The reverse the Panthers ran for a TD? That was Jaire's man, too. At snap, Jaire's man runs toward the QB, and Jaire is SEEN ON TAPE motioning to Stokes to pick him up. One problem: The defense is in man coverage BUT JAIRE THINKS THEY'RE IN ZONE! Stokes and the other secondary players not named "Jaire" are all covering Panther players. So, Jaire runs across the field late, meets his guy with the ball at the 4 yard-line then basically pushes him into the end zone for a TD.

Did you even watch the play? The Panthers had a man in motion coming to his side. He had NO CHOICE but to respect that because if he doesn't then it's potentially an easy throw to the flat and big yards afterwards. It isn't until the handoff is made that he is free to pursue, which he did IMMEDIATELY as the ball was given to #11. That play is a prime example of the offense gaming Barry's poorly designed scheme. Why do you think teams use motion?

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I searched for this quote and did not find it. Could you provide your source? Who was the reporter? Thanks.

Did you even watch the play? The Panthers had a man in motion coming to his side. He had NO CHOICE but to respect that because if he doesn't then it's potentially an easy throw to the flat and big yards afterwards. It isn't until the handoff is made that he is free to pursue, which he did IMMEDIATELY as the ball was given to #11. That play is a prime example of the offense gaming Barry's poorly designed scheme. Why do you think teams use motion?

I watched the play. Jaire didn't follow his man. Case closed.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the offseason, the Packers brought in a consultant (think name is Greg Mueller) to address issues with the secondary. One of his recommendations was to have Jaire start out formations tighter in man coverage. When interviewed earlier this season, Jaire told a reporter he is given latitude to line up where he wants and he just prefers to line up farther off the ball.
Just want to say that the situation is very important. I doubt Jaire wants to play way off when it is 3rd and 3. And I wonder if he ever wants to play as far back as he is evidently told to play.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched the play. Jaire didn't follow his man. Case closed.
Yep. Case closed. He covered the flat just like he was supposed to until the handoff. Also, did you happen to have that source for that quote that JA doesn't like to play press coverage? Because I'm thinking that's just a load of BS.

Last edited:

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think I've already said it, but up front I again want to say it was a boneheaded decision by Jaire to go out for the coin toss and nearly hurt his team when he had no business being out there. But here's the trouble I have with Jaire's suspension:

First is an issue of timing. We've heard from multiple sources at this point that "it wasn't just about the coin toss" which is fine (and more understandable, tbh) but if nothing else it at least seems to have been the "straw that broke the camel's back," so to speak, and this presents its own set of problems. For starters, it suggests that there HAVE in fact been issues going on between the team/coaching/Jaire behind the scenes for some time now, but were allowed to continue to simmer unseen for who knows how long before finally coming to a head in week 16. And then you have the fact that by all accounts nobody said a thing to Jaire at the time it actually happened (He said himself that nobody said anything about it before/during the game) and it wasn't punished until days after the fact. I don't think it speaks particularly well towards "accountability" when the team's approach seems to have allowed Jaire to have been a "problem" for who knows how long with no repercussions (or at least none that were enough to dissuade that behavior from continuing, as obviously evidenced here) and then when there's finally an incident to push things over the line it's such a big deal that you....say nothing until a few days later and claim it's about a combination of things and NOW you finally need to put forth some kind of public punishment.

Why not just bench Jaire on the spot vs Carolina? The Panthers are (or were, before facing us...) the worst passing team in the league. LaFleur continues to back Barry publicly; shouldn't he have the confidence in his DC to be able to bench Jaire vs the worst passing team in the league and come away with a win still? Sitting him in what is effectively a playoff game vs the Vikings and one of the best WRs in the league seems to certainly punish the team more than an immediate benching vs Carolina would have. Good, accountable leadership is decisive and takes action BEFORE their hand is forced. Jaire was stupid for his stunt, but we should be taking a good hard look at LaFleur and those who are meant to be holding Jaire accountable for letting things get to a point where they felt they finally had to act by suspending him 16 weeks into the season.

Second is perhaps to be taken with a grain of salt, but Jaire claimed that "the guys had my back" or something along those lines. Now I suppose it's possible he is lying, but I don't know what reason he would have to do so...it seems like none of his teammates took much of an issue with his actions in the moment, either. They knew who the captains were and they knew Jaire wasn't one of them and still nobody apparently felt it was important enough to speak out on, at best. This doesn't necessarily mean that LaFleur has "lost the locker room" but at bare minimum it should be awfully concerning. We have already heard Campbell speaking out against the coaching staff in recent weeks as well, coupled with this leads me to believe there is perhaps a bit less harmony in the locker room than we might like to think. As myself and others have said plenty of times before, you can't preach about responsibility and accountability and expect people to take you seriously if you don't follow it up with any action. Words are just words and I suspect players are beginning to notice that a lot of the talk about responsibility and accountability is just that: talk. I mean, frankly it's the height of irony for LaFleur to say "there are standards that we are all accountable for, and when they're not met, unfortunately sometimes you've got to take drastic measures" while continuing to defend Barry week after week. Get real, man!

So it is what it is. I don't have any problem with suspending a player - no matter who it is - for something that should be seen as direct insubordination. But I DO have a big problem with allowing problems to fester seemingly all season long before doing anything about it - I DO have a big problem with zero accountability or discipline at the time the action actually occurred - and I DO have a big problem with our standards of responsibility/accountability being applied EXTREMELY selectively, it seems. If you want to start holding others accountable, to a higher standard, that’s great, but don’t expect anyone to take you seriously when all season long you’ve shown that to mostly just be empty words.

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yep. Case closed. He covered the flat just like he was supposed to until the handoff. Also, did you happen to have that source for that quote that JA doesn't like to play press coverage? Because I'm thinking that's just a load of BS.
The player in the flat was covered by another DB. It was man coverage. What part of this is so difficult?

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The player in the flat was covered by another DB. It was man coverage. What part of this is so difficult?
If he had done what you think he was supposed to do it would have been big yards down the left sideline for the motion man. There was NOBODY else in position to defend it. Defenders have to make adjustments on the fly. They do it all the time. Quit pretending to know more than everyone else.

And let's not ignore the fact that it was run play and there are 10 other guys on the defense.

Also, once again, do you have a source for your claim that he prefers to line up 10 yards off the line or not? Because it would be completely inconsistent with his history of being a guy who likes to jam receivers.

Last edited:

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And let's not ignore the fact that it was run play and there are 10 other guys on the defense.

Also, once again, do you have a source for your claim that he prefers to line up 10 yards off the line or not? Because it would be completely inconsistent with his history of being a guy who likes to jam receivers.

Ryan Wood mentioned it. (Williams not Mueller. Samsonite.. I was way off)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ryan Wood mentioned it. (Williams not Mueller. Samsonite.. I was way off)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Thanks. Him saying "sometimes I have a tendency to play a little farther off." is a far cry from him saying he prefers to line up farther off the ball, as someone was trying to claim. I figured it was a mis-quote. Thanks for doing what he wouldn't do and providing the source and the real quote.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jaire has the maturity of a teenager no doubt in my mind personally.
Jaire had 3 excellent seasons while tha last two have been marred by injury. I don't remember anyone questioning Alexander's maturity when he was healthy and was Mr.. shut down. He hasn't acted out until recently. Why? Most likely Joe Barry is the reason.

Reaction score
So, Jaire runs across the field late, meets his guy with the ball at the 4 yard-line then basically pushes him into the end zone for a TD.
I saw that. He literally pushed the Receiver into the paint and could’ve tackled him. I’m about 90% certain he’s playing injured and possibly trying to protect his shoulder. That said J’aire being on the field injured is about like an average CB healthy imo. Unless you need him needing a shoulder tackle, then he’s a detriment
There’s something wrong with him. If he’s not injured and did that? (I witnessed it also on replay) they need to suspend him permanently and possibly trade him.
If that's the case, why didn't Campbell get suspended for his comment a couple weeks ago?
I fully welcome the debate because it’s merely my opinion and I might be totally wrong. Regardless though are you saying there is evidence of Campbell badmouthing our DC? Maybe he did idk but I’ve never seen that.
I’m thinking the obvious that Ja’ was running his mouth derogatory about a player(s) or Coach(s) and when his own personal contributions are less than desirable it goes from “less than desirable” to “unacceptable” behavior if that makes sense.

Last edited:

games

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw that. He literally pushed the Receiver into the paint and could’ve tackled him. I’m about 90% certain he’s playing injured and possibly trying to protect his shoulder. That said J’aire being on the field injured is about like an average CB healthy imo. Unless you need him needing a shoulder tackle, then he’s a detriment
There’s something wrong with him. If he’s not injured and did that? (I witnessed it also on replay) they need to suspend him permanently and possibly trade him.

OldSchool101, I agree he's playing with some pain. And, he's playing with hesitancy. For now, one game suspension is enough.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I fully welcome the debate because it’s merely my opinion and I might be totally wrong. Regardless though are you saying there is evidence of Campbell badmouthing our DC? Maybe he did idk but I’ve never seen that.
I’m thinking the obvious that Ja’ was running his mouth derogatory about a player(s) or Coach(s) and when his own personal contributions are less than desirable it goes from “less than desirable” to “unacceptable” behavior if that makes sense.
I still say that he is gun shy. When he took that knee from a Steeler RB in 2021after an aggressive hit he has never been the same. When they brought him back for the 49ers playoff game he literally let the back run right by him so someone else could make the tackle.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I still say that he is gun shy. When he took that knee from a Steeler RB in 2021after an aggressive hit he has never been the same. When they brought him back for the 49ers playoff game he literally let the back run right by him so someone else could make the tackle.
I agree. He just hasn't been the same guy since that injury in the Steeler game. Although not a big guy, he was a solid and aggressive tackler. I doubt that he's 100% right now, and I would bet dollars to donuts that he doesn't have confidence in that shoulder.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A few things I am pretty sure of. We all have opinions. Here are a few of mine.
1. None of us know what coverages and responsibilities the defenders have on specific plays.
2. None of us know if JA likes playing off the ball or up close, or if it matters who the QB & WR are or if it matters the down and distance or if it matters the score and time remaining in the game.
3. None of us know if Barry has lost the confidence of the defense and they are just phoning it in.
4. None of us know if MLF has lost the locker room.
5. None of us know what else JA supposedly did to warrant his suspension.
6. None of us know if AR made sure the spotlight (good or bad) was on him by design or not.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. None of us know what coverages and responsibilities the defenders have on specific plays.
2. None of us know if JA likes playing off the ball or up close, or if it matters who the QB & WR are or if it matters the down and distance or if it matters the score and time remaining in the game.
3. None of us know if Barry has lost the confidence of the defense and they are just phoning it in.
6. None of us know if AR made sure the spotlight (good or bad) was on him by design or not.
In other words None of us know anything.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So true. So, let's delete the thread. Heck, most of the threads.

Members online

Latest posts