Should we go after...

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hillenmeyer when he becomes a restricted free agent this year? After all he was ours first...if MS hadn't replaced him with a second punter...aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...at least we could force the Bears to pay up for him.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he's too slow for the type of linebackers needed in the system that Bates used, that Sanders is gonna use.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:
Hillenmeyer when he becomes a restricted free agent this year? After all he was ours first...if MS hadn't replaced him with a second punter...aaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...at least we could force the Bears to pay up for him.

HH was never replaced for keeping Sanders on the roster! This has been mentioned several times. Hillenmeyer was drafted the year before Sanders was drafted.

He was cut because he was the #7 LB on the depth chart when Marshall returned from a suspension. The decision was made to keep 6 LBs. In hindsight it turned out a poor decision as 3 of the LBs ahead of him are no longer with the team, but those guys all contributed that year.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackerTraxx said:

He wasn't replaced by a second punter.....but don't let facts get in the way of your shot at Sherman. He was released in September 2003. Sander was drafted in 2004.

OOPS...sorry about that Bobby. I must've been preparing my post while you were putting yours in.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure the Bears will match any amount to keep him in Chicago. Nevertheless, from what his attitude sounds like about the Packers, he would never want to go to GB again.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Geez....big difference!! We let HH go to keep Marshall, rather than Sanders, which has long been mistakenly assumed.

In either case, it represents a stunning case of lacking foresight to players and system by the previous regime. All Hillenmeyer did throughout his ENTIRE career at Vandy was be a tackling machine....who was also widely recognized as being VERY intelligent.

Tackling machine.......we don't need no stinking tackling machine in our LB corps...especially a smart one.

Another idiot move that has led us to this sad point in recent history!

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jesus Christ digs let it go!

Marshall was the MVP in the National Championship Game. Some scouts and draft "experts" had him rated as a monster who would thrive and star in the NFL as he gained experience. Even the hesitant ones, thought he would be a decent player who might struggle to learn the Pro game, but none thought he would not have a career playing football.

Hillenmeyer did earn a roster spot as the last LB -- the team had too many WR go done and could not afford to keep the depth at LB. The Packers offered him a good practice squad contract with a promise to bring him back to the regular roster when they got through the injures. The Bears -- who were not a strong team at that point promised him an immediate roster spot and he took it.

Ron Wolf drafted cornerback Terrell Buckley with the No. 5 pick in the draft. He also drafted John Michels and Jamal Reynolds with high picks.

He let Brice Paup go and forever regretted letting one of the best punters in the league go In Hendricks, when he wanted to stay in Green Bay. He also crippled the Packers CAP by overpaying Freeman and Levins. These are just a few of many misses he made – big deal – every single GM, coach and scout misses (sometimes big time). What is gained by obsessing about the past? Especially when it was a 2nd day draft choice who needed a season to have his body mature at a time when the team was facing roster problems because of injuries to a critical position – WR.

Sherman is history. Love him, hate him, feel ambivalent… none of it matters he is now just a part of GB Packers rich Lore – give it a rest.

digsthepack said:
Geez....big difference!! We let HH go to keep Marshall, rather than Sanders, which has long been mistakenly assumed.

In either case, it represents a stunning case of lacking foresight to players and system by the previous regime. All Hillenmeyer did throughout his ENTIRE career at Vandy was be a tackling machine....who was also widely recognized as being VERY intelligent.

Tackling machine.......we don't need no stinking tackling machine in our LB corps...especially a smart one.

Another idiot move that has led us to this sad point in recent history!

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
PackerTraxx said:

He wasn't replaced by a second punter.....but don't let facts get in the way of your shot at Sherman. He was released in September 2003. Sander was drafted in 2004.

OOPS...sorry about that Bobby. I must've been preparing my post while you were putting yours in.

Sorry I got my years mixed up. So he made two mistakes in two years rather than one year. Much better.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The point is, an extra pick was given away to OBTAIN Hillenmeyer, and then he is thrown to the wayside to keep Torrance Marshall, whom half the teams in the league had wiped off their draft board because of ...well, stupidity and reputation.....bad reputation, that is!

Mistakes such as Buckley, Michels and Reynolds are made all the time....they are basically unknown commodities except for film and reputation. By the time this was done, both TM and HH were with the team and known commodities by the staff....in fact, as I recall, HH was really impressing with his smarts and was being asked to add a little bulk...and I am sure by that same time TM's lack of grey matter had also become common knowledge among the staff. But, how would it LOOK to throw away a 3rd rounder to keep a 6th? Seems there was some face saving and politics behind that move.

My, my...it is getting testy on the forum today!!

OP
OP
P

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
He made more than two mistakes in two years.......ALL GM's do!

You're right DePack. Even Wolf made his share, as was mentioned. But Sherman made more mistakes than he made up for and that was the problem. The worst,IMO, was his insistance to keep Rossley, using Donatell as a scapegoat, not respecting loyal Packers(Henderson and Gilbert), and his stubborness that he wouldn't recognize his mistakes which compounded the problem. I don't hate Sherman, I wish he had done well and I wish him well. But that's not going to stop me from taking a potshot from time to time. :twisted: :wink:

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Go ahead and take potshots. I'm OK with that. I've got no problem with Sherman being gone. I've moved on. Everybody has a right to post what they want. I have a right to defend the man if I choose. He gave his all for this team for 6 years. He made a ton of mistakes....OK. I don't like seeing a "dead man" kicked in the groin. That's all.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 11 year old nephew came up with that one....just about spit milk outta my nose when he said it!

God Bless the little bugger!!

Dagnadit PT me too! Hey a little ***** for you...who was the other QB of note who later flopped in the draft that Favre was taken in?

Latest posts