Sherrod gets put into mix

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The answer to why the Packers played rookie left tackle Derek Sherrod for a handful of series against the Raiders on Sunday might have less to do with starter Marshall Newhouse than with injured Chad Clifton.

Source: JSOnline.com

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Newhouse was not injured, and he said no coach indicated to him that he was being pulled for any reason other than to allow Sherrod to get some playing time in a meaningful game.
That would lead someone to believe that coach Mike McCarthy is getting Sherrod ready to play in the playoffs in case something happens to Newhouse. Clifton has been out with back and hamstring injuries since early October, and there have been no indications he will come back soon.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like that Sherrod is getting prepared, that a very UNIQUE luxury to have the option to condition your younger players w/ some game experience...pretty awesome

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup, a very unique situation indeed. I'll buy into McCarthy's comments that this is just to get Sherrod some extra game snaps just in case he's needed in the playoffs. Let's be honest, the last few seasons it's taken Clifton all of training camp PLUS 4-5 regular season games to get into synch and good playing shape. It's hard to expect that he'll be able to walk into the lineup after so much time off and an injury and play well on top of it all. Sherrod needs the reps, and at the very least, it builds some confidence for the young dude and gives him something to build on for next season. I think that's the real goal, but it never hurts to "test your emergency batteries" every once in a while.

Eric87

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone can expect or should expect Clifton to return. I think he has given everything he has to the Packer organization and Packer fans. He's a warrior and a Packer legend and we can't ask for more than what he's given the team.

The line play was shaky but didn't look really poor until Sitton went down. Hopefully Sitton comes back and plays a little bit in the regular season and is ready for the playoffs. If the line looks pretty bad in the meantime, Flynn will have to go out there and preserve some leads and preserve the perfect season.

As for Sherrod, it's sink or swim time.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eric, a couple things; I think Sitton has been playing injured for most, if not all, of the season. His performance had been down and I think the injury eventually caught up with him. And I'm wondering what you mean by "sink or swim time". Like, if he can't perform now it's time to cut losses on the guy? He's a rookie, and a first round pick. I think it'll be at least a couple more years until Sherrod hits sink or swim time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
+1 too early for sink or swim statements with a rookie OL

I'd also even argue with the shaky line comment. The O-line has been shaky all season. They haven't run blocked well (except for once against the Vikings in the 4th Qtr) and had Rodgers running around and getting sacked a lot in the beginning of the season. I do believe that Sitton's injury played into that, but Wells and Clifton weren't playing well either. Toss a newby in TJ Lang in there in terms of experience and Bulaga was the only stud. Things have solidified over the season...steady by jerks

12theTruth

I must admit I was confused watching the game thinking Marshall Newhouse had to have been injured seeing Sherrod in the game. Seeing Rodgers get hit as much as he did on Sunday you would think McCarthy and Co. wouldn't use the time to get Sherrod more experience and instead build continuity with the current main starting five until Sitton (and later Clifton) comes back from injury.

Sure Newhouse struggled the week before but it was against Jason Pierre-Paul, who is a beast

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
We are locked into the playoffs. We have a beat up line. Depth is getting thin. Big Mac is getting his depth some time on the line so in the big game if he has to call out sherrod he's had some time on the line and some film to evaluate and correct himself. Also expect our run game to start cranking up the next 3 games. We saw a good preview of whats to come in the first part of the game. Mac knows that we are going to need to run to win in January and he is going to start giving that O line the confidence that they can dominate.

Members online

Latest posts