Sharper speaks the truth..sort of!

Beab66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From the JS Online:
After becoming the first Minnesota Viking to win NFC defensive player of the month honors since December 1999, safety Darren Sharper took a few shots at his former Green Bay Packers teammates.

Asked about the difference in his play - he is tied for the league lead in interceptions with seven - Sharper said it was the talent surrounding him.

"I'm around better guys that really allow me to do what I do," said Sharper, who was released by the Packers in the off-season. "The players I'm around are extremely talented. You think about it. I don't really have to worry about the run because we shut the run down.

"So I just can concentrate on defending the pass. One thing I always notice is that when you play with scrubs, you can look like a scrub. When you play with good players, you look like a good player, too

No duh!!!! Sharper looked much better playing along side Leroy Butler too! Where was his great anticipation skills in 1999 against TO when he was standing in the endzone watching him catch the ball.

I was a Sharper apologist in the years when fans were all over him. The truth is that Sharper is a better player when he doesn't have to be the main guy. What safety can't make plays when he doesn't have to play the run. I remember his tackling skills in GB. I also remember him nursing the hammy and playing sick, but spiking the ball over the goalposts when he made a good play. I for one am glad to see he is a Viking. He fits their style better. He is a front runner who plays great until the chips are down, then crumbles or gets hurt when the pressure comes on. That's just my opinion and i'm sticking to it.

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never thought much of Sharper. He was not a total team player, he was playing for himself only. He liked to play center field and make an interception if he could, but he shied away from contact and deliberately took bad angles on a ball carrier hoping not to have to tackle.
Sharper was ( and still is) for Sharper only and I'm glad the Vikings have him.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with the original poster somewhat. Sharper is decent when he is a role player, but when the pressure is on him he crumbles. He is not a gamer, plain and simple.

Staff online

Members online