Sharpe, Holmgren semi finalists for 2023 Hall of Fame

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always just thought the Broncos flat out beat us. It was a good, close game though, could have gone either way. It was one of those embarrassing losses though, not only because we were so heavily favored, but because the NFC had won 13 straight Super Bowls. The Packers broke that streak.

And then the next year Jerry Rice fumbled the ball, but the refs gave the game to the 49ers.
Who did the Niners play in that Game? And stars don't get different treatment...... Yeah, right.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who did the Niners play in that Game? And stars don't get different treatment...... Yeah, right.
You're probably making some joke I don't understand, but in case you're not, they played the Packers. That was Holmgren's last game (and last playoff game) as GB's coach.

Packer Fan in SD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren won a SB, lost one to the Broncos, who went on to win another. Elway, HOF QB. Davis, HOF RB. Various members of that Broncos defense were either HOF or HOF worthy.

Point being, Holmgren was, in my opinion, very justified to be considered for HOF just with the Pack. Add in what he did in Seattle, yeah, you can make a pretty strong argument.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're probably making some joke I don't understand, but in case you're not, they played the Packers. That was Holmgren's last game (and last playoff game) as GB's coach.
Wow I can't believe I don't remember that game. I think by then everyone knew Holmgren was moving on and the SB appearances were going to be tougher and tougher. Anyway, thanks for the history lesson.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren won a SB, lost one to the Broncos, who went on to win another. Elway, HOF QB. Davis, HOF RB. Various members of that Broncos defense were either HOF or HOF worthy.

Point being, Holmgren was, in my opinion, very justified to be considered for HOF just with the Pack. Add in what he did in Seattle, yeah, you can make a pretty strong argument.
I don't know if just his experience with the Pack would have gotten him in the HOF. Eventually I think. Getting to another SB with Seattle probably seals the deal. Initially, I forgot he had been to three SBs, no small accomplishment. So I've changed my mind - he belongs in the HOF IMO. It may take a few years, but he'll get there.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren gets in after Shanahan. Just my take.
How does Shanahan compare with Holmgren in terms of career record, and most important, playoff record - SB appearances, SB wins. And is Shanahan eligible yet? I thought so.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How does Shanahan compare with Holmgren in terms of career record, and most important, playoff record - SB appearances, SB wins. And is Shanahan eligible yet? I thought so.
Shanahan has 3, Holmgren has 1 as head coach. It matters. So yeah, you will probably see Shanahan get there b4 Holmgren.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if just his experience with the Pack would have gotten him in the HOF. Eventually I think. Getting to another SB with Seattle probably seals the deal. Initially, I forgot he had been to three SBs, no small accomplishment. So I've changed my mind - he belongs in the HOF IMO. It may take a few years, but he'll get there.

Don't forget that Holmgren has been eligible for the HOF since 2014.

Shanahan has been eligible for the HOF since 2018.

Here's a look at his record compared to Holmgren:

Shanahan:
Regular season: 170-138-0 (.552)
Playoffs: 8-6 (.571)
Super Bowl appearances: 2
Super Bowl wins: 2

Mike Holmgren:
Regular season: 161-111-0 (.592)
Playoffs: 13-11 (.542)
Super Bowl appearances: 3
Super Bowl wins: 1

It's interesting to note that Shanahan only won one playoff game aside of the two seasons in which he won the Super Bowl with the Broncos.

Shanahan has 3, Holmgren has 1 as head coach. It matters. So yeah, you will probably see Shanahan get there b4 Holmgren.

Shanahan has won two Super Bowls as a head coach. He earned another ring as the OC for the Niners in 1994.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't forget that Holmgren has been eligible for the HOF since 2014.

Shanahan has been eligible for the HOF since 2018.

Here's a look at his record compared to Holmgren:

Shanahan:
Regular season: 170-138-0 (.552)
Playoffs: 8-6 (.571)
Super Bowl appearances: 2
Super Bowl wins: 2

Mike Holmgren:
Regular season: 161-111-0 (.592)
Playoffs: 13-11 (.542)
Super Bowl appearances: 3
Super Bowl wins: 1

It's interesting to note that Shanahan only won one playoff game aside of the two seasons in which he won the Super Bowl with the Broncos.

Shanahan has won two Super Bowls as a head coach. He earned another ring as the OC for the Niners in 1994.
Thanks for the background. I didn't know Holmgren has been eligible since 2014. What about Shanahan? Just from their records, a pretty good case can be made that they belong in the HOF.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thanks for the background. I didn't know Holmgren has been eligible since 2014. What about Shanahan? Just from their records, a pretty good case can be made that they belong in the HOF.

As I mentioned in my post above Shanahan has been HOF eligible since 2018.

OP
OP
gonzozab

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both are now finalists.

Just for the record, I think Holmgren falls just short, IMO of course. But if Bill Cowher got in then maybe Holmgren will too.
I think Holmgren may have to wait a bit. I hope Sharpe gets in this year.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id love to see Sterling get in. No clue how this will shake out, but for what its worth, he was totally dominant in his era.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id love to see Sterling get in. No clue how this will shake out, but for what its worth, he was totally dominant in his era.
He really was dominant, and his career was cut short due to a narrowing of his cervical spine, I think. Anyway, I hope he makes it to the HOF. He belongs.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He really was dominant, and his career was cut short due to a narrowing of his cervical spine, I think. Anyway, I hope he makes it to the HOF. He belongs.

Agree 100%.

Who will ever forget when he broke Detroit's heart in the playoffs...

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agree 100%.

Who will ever forget when he broke Detroit's heart in the playoffs...

"Detroit" and "playoffs" are rarely used in the same sentence - well unless it's "The Lions are eliminated from playoff contention in week (fill in the earliest possible date in any given season).

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Detroit" and "playoffs" are rarely used in the same sentence - well unless it's "The Lions are eliminated from playoff contention in week (fill in the earliest possible date in any given season).
:p

It was a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was at that game with my buddy. I swear that pass went as high as it did far.

As I recall, Sharpe said he got hurt on the previous play and tried to get to the bench but couldn't before the Pack was back at the line ready to snap the ball. Per Sharpe, he couldn't run at full speed as a result, and said if he had been able to, he likely would have run clear out of the endzone before the ball got there.

I don't know if this means the Pack are Blessed, or the Lions are cursed, or more likely both.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I recall, Sharpe said he got hurt on the previous play and tried to get to the bench but couldn't before the Pack was back at the line ready to snap the ball. Per Sharpe, he couldn't run at full speed as a result, and said if he had been able to, he likely would have run clear out of the endzone before the ball got there.

I don't know if this means the Pack are Blessed, or the Lions are cursed, or more likely both.

The Lions in a playoff game, any playoff game is an aberration. Although it looks like they have a solid HC for a change. We'll see. Not worried about them yet.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol, I'm all for Sharpe getting into the HOF. But "He broke Detroit's heart in the playoffs" is not usually the standard for greatness.

Members online

Latest posts