Sharpe, Holmgren semi finalists for 2023 Hall of Fame

D

Deleted member 6794

He never did lead the league in stats, but IMO besides being the quickest receiver in the first 3 steps i've seen, there isn't anything Adams did that Jennings couldn't also do. The biggest difference, I saw Adams get run down time and time again or make a great catch, make a guy miss and get tackled by the next.

With Jenning, he was so smooth he'd be at the 2nd level and past them all before anybody knew what he was doing and he wasn't a blazer, or that quick twitch. But he was precise, sure handed and he turned more short stuff into game breakers where Devante couldn't.
Sometimes being the only best on the team hurts you in that everyone focuses on you, but it also provides opportunity in the form of many more targets. Never got to see if Greg could do it on his own, like Adams did, but I think he would have.

I haven't seen another receiver being as good in creating separation with his first few steps than Adams. That has led to him being one of the most productive receivers in the league over the past few seasons.

While I agree Jennings possessed those talents you list he never turned them into elite production for whatever reason.

Therefore I consider Adams the better of the two.

Sorry but Gale Sayers was in a league of his own in this conversation.

Sayers was the best running back in the league for four years but I don't believe that results in him being in a league of his own regarding the discussion.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I haven't seen another receiver being as good in creating separation with his first few steps than Adams. That has led to him being one of the most productive receivers in the league over the past few seasons.

While I agree Jennings possessed those talents you list he never turned them into elite production for whatever reason.

Sayers was the best running back in the league for four years but I don't believe that results in him being in a league of his own regarding the discussion.
And while Adams is the best at creating separation in those first few steps, but he almost always got caught from behind and wasn't able to capitalize on that where as Jennings would often take a short to intermediate pass, and make lots of guys miss and look smooth as butter doing it. The only difference to me was opportunity. I'd bet Adams was targeted far more heavily than Jennings was.

A receiver with all those talents isn't going to wither with more opportunity. Adams might have Jennings off the line, but Jennings has every step after in his favor and everything else in between is pretty equal I think.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It looks like the HOF is less likely to penalize a RB for a short career than some other positions.
Could be true.

Gale Sayers was also the best punt and kick returner in the league at one time.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The difference is that Gale Sayers was an exceptionally unique player, while Sharpe was 'merely' great...still worthy of the HOF.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree. To me the proof is how a player performs when goes to another team. If my recollection is correct Jennings did nothing after he left the Packers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree. To me the proof is how a player performs when goes to another team. If my recollection is correct Jennings did nothing after he left the Packers.
Adams won't do much after GB with a QB that throws 50% of his passes in the dirt on a 3 yard out either. Thankfully he has a QB in LV far better than Ponder ever was.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
back on thread...I've said this for some time. Sterling was an absolute freak of nature. And he went out right as Brett got here. Can u imagine Reggie White and Sterling Sharpe on those 90's teams...Brett'd have 3 rings minimum. Absolutely Sterling belongs in there. His brother said it best at his HOF induction speech. The physical speciman he was was beyond comprehension. Crazy talent and athleticism.

D

Deleted member 6794

The only difference to me was opportunity. I'd bet Adams was targeted far more heavily than Jennings was.

You're right that Adams (an average of 126.5 per season while with the Packers) was targeted more often than Jennings (105). While Jennings had a higher number of yards per targets Adams had a far superior catch percentage. All in all, there's a valid argument to be made that both were excellent receivers for the team.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Sterling not yet in the Hall of Fame is an absolute crime against humanity. I sure hope the senior committee is smarter than the writers.
I didn't know Sterling Sharpe wasn't in the HOF. He should have been first ballot.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He never did lead the league in stats, but IMO besides being the quickest receiver in the first 3 steps i've seen, there isn't anything Adams did that Jennings couldn't also do. The biggest difference, I saw Adams get run down time and time again or make a great catch, make a guy miss and get tackled by the next.

With Jenning, he was so smooth he'd be at the 2nd level and past them all before anybody knew what he was doing and he wasn't a blazer, or that quick twitch. But he was precise, sure handed and he turned more short stuff into game breakers where Devante couldn't.
Sometimes being the only best on the team hurts you in that everyone focuses on you, but it also provides opportunity in the form of many more targets. Never got to see if Greg could do it on his own, like Adams did, but I think he would have.
I thought Jennings production tailed off after he went to MN. i might be wrong.

It will be interesting to see how Adams does in LV. IMO, Adams is far and away the more talented receiver than Jennings. It's also been a long time since I saw Jennings play so there may be some recency bias going on.

If Adams is as good as he thinks he is, I expect him to put up 1300-1500 yards in LV with 10-12 TDs. That might keep him on track for HOF consideration. And yeah, Carr isn't Rodgers. But Carr and Adams know each other well. Adams doesn't have any good excuses not to continue with outstanding production at WR.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The knock on Sterling was his "short" 7 year career yet Terrell Davis is in with 7 years of which only 4 were good years. He dominated in those 4 on a SB winning team. Sterling played for the last of the gory years Packers.
Those are good points. And didn't Davis win two SBs with Denver? But yeah, if Davis is in - well just another argument to put Sharpe in.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Tony Boselli, Terrell Davis, and Gale Sayers are in then Sterling Sharpe needs to be in as well.

Sterling Sharpe - 7 seasons, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Tony Boselli - 7 seasons, 5x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Terrell Davis - 7 seasons, 3x Pro Bowl, 3x All-Pro
Gale Sayers - 7 seasons, 4x Pro Bowl, 5x All-Pro

Sterling Sharpe was dominant in his time in the NFL. Personally, I would much rather see people in the HOF who had short, dominant careers than people who compiled stats over time but were never among the best at their position. Greatness > Longevity

Great post, cuts to the heart of the matter.

Sharpe is gold-jacket worthy, period.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think Holmgren should probably be in, but a part me will always feel like he is one big reason we lost the 2nd SB. IMO he had already mentally left the team for Seattle.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I do think Holmgren should probably be in, but a part me will always feel like he is one big reason we lost the 2nd SB. IMO he had already mentally left the team for Seattle.
I do agree that his head was elsewhere in that 98 SB and that's a good point to remember.

As for the HOF, I don't think he belongs. If there's an unwritten rule that all HCs with rings get in the Hall, well ok. He clearly did his best work in GB. Yeah Ron Wolf gave him a lot to work with, but he had to tame gunslinger Favre. He was a great coach, no doubt. But he wanted GM and HC duties, and in the end, that did him in. So HOF? My vote is no strictly on 1) not winning that SB against Denver and never establishing consistency with a very talented team and 2) his inability to realize his limitations.

Sterling Sharpe? Different story. He should already be in the Hall.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not like all the empty backfields. Favre often did not have the time he needed.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As for the HOF, I don't think he belongs. If there's an unwritten rule that all HCs with rings get in the Hall, well ok.
I remember talk at the time that if he would win Super Bowl XL with the Seahawks, he would be a shoe in for the HOF. But the Steelers won instead. I think Holmgren is a good enough coach to be in the HOF, but falls just short on the record, so he probably won't be. If that makes any sense.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I remember talk at the time that if he would win Super Bowl XL with the Seahawks, he would be a shoe in for the HOF. But the Steelers won instead. I think Holmgren is a good enough coach to be in the HOF, but falls just short on the record, so he probably won't be. If that makes any sense.
Yeah I mean he's close and if he had amassed more wins it would be an easier decision. And losing 2 out of 3 SBs sounds bad, but getting to the SB 3 times is impressive. I guess it doesn't matter that much to me. I can see arguments both ways.

D

Deleted member 6794

Holmgren stayed with the Packers for another season after losing the Super Bowl in 1997. Therefore I don't consider that last statement to be true.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Holmgren stayed with the Packers for another season after losing the Super Bowl in 1997. Therefore I don't consider that last statement to be true.
I always just thought the Broncos flat out beat us. It was a good, close game though, could have gone either way. It was one of those embarrassing losses though, not only because we were so heavily favored, but because the NFC had won 13 straight Super Bowls. The Packers broke that streak.

And then the next year Jerry Rice fumbled the ball, but the refs gave the game to the 49ers.

Members online

Latest posts