1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Big Announcement Coming for 2015 Football Season!!

Be on the look out for a big Packer Forum announcement when the schedule is released. Full details coming soon...

SF to trade Alex smith to KC

Discussion in 'All Other Team Discussions' started by Oshkoshpackfan, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    Just got my sports center update on my phone telling me of the trade. WOW, now who's gunna be a solid back up if Kaperpick goes down? I think he will be hurt eventually with all that running around crap he does. KC should be much better off now.

2. gatorpack

gatorpack Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +152
    That move could cost them big

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    SF was about 5 mil. over the cap, and that's before tagging or signing Goldson.

They did not have a choice. You just cannot have that much cap space sitting on the bench.

As time goes by, run option plays will be phased out of these offenses, swinging back to pro sets, except for those teams arrogant enough to believe they can replace their QB every few years.

The rules protecting pocket passers and the $ involved in QB second contracts will eventually relegate run option to occasional gadget play status.

4. texaspackerbacker

texaspackerbacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +58
    I thought they would have gotten more than a second round pick. I was gonna say it was a chance worth taking if they got at least a first round pick, but just a second? Close call on that.

5. bozz_2006

bozz_2006 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +650
    Matt Cassell? ;-)

6. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453

LOL.....sure why not? lol

Cassell will be lucky to be the backup to browns QB weedon....lol

7. BorderRivals.com

BorderRivals.com Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +499
    Excellent point on the 49ers cap issue. I think Goldson will be let go. And this 49ers team is in major need to clear space b/c they have plenty of talent coming off their rookie contracts that are going to need pay raises - Crabtree, Kaep, Iupati, Davis ...

It's funny how rubes like us know this stuff, yet national medial pundits completely ignore this fact when creating rumors. For instance, 49ers have a ton of picks this draft - far too many than they'll ever need. Of course, they aren't going to deal some. Thus, a rumor is spreading that it may use the extra picks to go after Revis. Good fit and assets to do it. But of course, fitting Revis' contract against their cap is nearly impossible. Minor detail that goes unreported.

8. Oshkoshpackfan

Oshkoshpackfan YUT !!!

Ratings:
    +1,453
    ^ yeah, now they will have something like 15 picks in this draft...WTF

9. ThxJackVainisi

ThxJackVainisi Lifelong Packers Fanatic

Ratings:
    +2,904
    Apparently the 49ers received KC’s second rounder in this draft and a conditional pick in next year’s draft. That gives them 12 picks in this draft – 5 in the top 93, with as many as 3 compensation picks according to more than one site.

First round: No. 31
    Second round: No. 34 (from KC)
    Second round: No. 61
    Third round: No. 74 (from Carolina)
    Third round: No. 93
    Fourth round: own pick
    Fifth round: From Indianapolis (No. 24 in round)
    Fifth round: own pick
    Sixth round: From Miami (No. 12 in round)
    Sixth round: own pick
    Seventh round: From Cincinnati (No. 21 in round)
    Seventh round: own pick

Plus compensation picks.

10. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    I posited a few weeks ago that Goldson might be an interesting Packer FA acquisition, thinking SF couldn't tag him under cap constraints. Media sources assured me he'd be franchised. I doubt it. The problem I see is that while Goldson was named All Pro he's probably not quite that kind of player, so the price tag might be a bit too high.

(1) Cutting Finley or (2) "cap friendly" deals (i.e., large signing bonuses) for Rodgers and/or Matthews or (3) letting Rodgers and/or Matthews wait until the next off season would supply the necessary cap room. I have perhaps a dimmer view of our incumbents at the safety position than most. This move would free up the top three picks for filling needs at a number of positions.

I may be in the minority, but if the injury situations with Bishop and Sherrod do not go our way and Finley needs to go make the other pieces work, this team has too many serious holes heading into a tough schedule...S, DE, ILB, LT, TE, TB.

To take one example, swapping Finley's $ for Goldson and Eifert in the first round would be sweet, if Eifert is still on the board. If he isn't there's plenty of work to be done elsewhere.

11. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,202
    They're lucky they got the 2nd. Other teams would have been aware of their cap situation and that Smith would have been cut come 3/12 had no deal been made. Harbaugh's "higly, highly, highly, highly unlikely" comment regarding cutting Smith was a smoke screen.

KC blinked...or avoided free agent bidding after 3/12 and filled a desperate need...depending on how you might think about it.

12. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +992
    Not shocked all they got was a 2nd. Smith had a solid year but no one was going to give up a 1st for him imo. Niners will use those picks to fill some spots, because with all those contrats they have about to expire no way can they bring everyone back. I look for them to take a Safety in the early rounds and maybe another offensive linemen.

13. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,434
    Let's keep in mind that Smith was a "game manager" with studs like Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree hauling in passes, Frank Gore pounding the pigskin, and a stellar defense. I think he's decent but look what he needed surrounding him to reach the level of "game manager." It might be harsh, but it may not be far off

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4,041
    Smith isn't a franchise QB. Giving up a 1 would be insane.

Not a fan of the move. Should have shored up the defense and focused on next seasons QB draft if they didnt like anyone In this one

15. 13 Times Champs

13 Times Champs Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,379
    They should feel fortunate for getting a second round pick for a bad first round pick.

• Funny Funny x 1