Scott Wells might not play on Sunday - Personal Tragedy

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have already posted this on my IPB site - and we plan on sending something to the Packers Org - with regards to this loss for the Wells Family.

============================================

Posted November 25, 2005

Packers guard Wells coping with personal tragedy

Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. - It's still possible the Green Bay Packers will change their offensive line for Sunday's game at Philadelphia, but it apparently won't be at right guard.

Will Whitticker was back at the starting spot in practice Friday, a day after head coach Mike Sherman pulled the rookie because of lackluster play.

"I wasn't playing to my capability out there," said Whitticker, who felt the one-day reprimand was warranted.

Offensive line coach Larry Beightol indicated that Whitticker would start Sunday.

Meanwhile, a delicate situation involving left guard Scott Wells may force the Packers to plug in an emergency starter.

Wells, a second-year player, wasn't on the practice field Friday because of what Sherman said afterward was a very serious personal matter. While teammates were in position meetings following practice, Wells passed through the locker room and briefly elaborated on the situation.

"My wife (Julie) delivered our babies yesterday, and they're both stillborn. Neither one of them survived," Wells said solemnly. "I'm trying to get through it and be there for her and worry about the rest later."

Wells and his wife are the parents of an infant son. Wells said he still was prepared to make the trip with the rest of the team to Philadelphia on Saturday. His status for the game is up in the air.

"To be honest, I'm counting on (playing)," he said. "(But) I'm trying to handle my family situation right now. It's still fresh in my mind, but I plan on coming in in the morning."

Wells, a converted center, has started the last two games at left guard. He replaced ineffective veteran Adrian Klemm in the starting lineup. Klemm handled the majority of the reps in Wells' absence Friday.

Beightol said he would have no qualms starting Klemm again if Wells couldn't play Sunday.

"Gosh, Klemm has started eight games here. He's certainly practiced well. He would do fine," Beightol said.

Sherman mentioned Grey Ruegamer as another option for playing time, at either one of the guard spots. The versatile Ruegamer, who started 12 games at center in place of an injured Mike Flanagan last season, took over at right guard Thursday after Whitticker drew Sherman's ire early in practice.

Whitticker said he deserved to be yanked because he was careless with his blocking during a run drill.

"I have to finish my blocks better. This is the NFL, and every time you go out there, you can't take off for even one play," he said. "You just have to bounce back, and I wasn't able to, so they pulled me out. I messed up, and I have to take fault for that. Coach did the right thing."

Whitticker said Sherman talked to him for five minutes after practice.

"(Thursday) was a learning experience," Whitticker said. "It was something I needed. It was a reality check for me."

Neither Whitticker nor Wells endeared himself to Sherman because of blocking struggles in the Packers' 20-17 loss to Minnesota on Monday. The two young players were overmatched by Vikings All-Pro tackles Kevin Williams and Pat Williams. The Packers gained only 21 yards in 14 carries - their worst output since they had a franchise-low 12 yards in a loss at Tampa Bay in 1999. Green Bay ranks last in the 32-team league with a per-carry average of 3.0 yards and is 31st with an average of 70.3 rushing yards per game.

"They have potential, but they haven't reached their potential," Beightol said of the offensive line this season. "Potential gives you a chance to get your butt kicked, and that's what we've done at times."

GADO PLANS TO START: Rookie running back Samkon Gado said he's preparing to make his third straight start Sunday. Sherman said a final determination won't be made until Saturday, though suggested that he will stick with Gado in the featured role.

"He hasn't done anything this week in practice to disappoint me," Sherman said.

Gado took most of the reps with the starters in the base offense and didn't put the ball on the ground once. He was banished to the sideline early in the third quarter Monday after fumbling for the third time in two games. All three fumbles were recovered by the Packers, however.

Gado managed just 7 yards in 10 carries against the Vikings before his latest miscue. The previous week, the former practice-squad player generated national attention when he rushed for 103 yards and scored three touchdowns.

"I've really (put) a very important emphasis on it this week, more than I ever have," Gado said of the fumbling. "I think I've dealt with it; I think I've corrected the problem. I am so thankful to Coach Sherman because he still has faith in me to keep me in the game."

INJURIES ON DEFENSE: Linebacker Robert Thomas (quadriceps) and defensive tackle Corey Williams (calf) didn't practice all week and probably won't play Sunday. Thomas remains listed as questionable on the injury report. Paris Lenon would make his second straight start at Thomas' weak-side position. Williams has been out since sustaining his injury Nov. 6. Cornerback Mike Hawkins (ankle, questionable) practiced all week and said he's set to return to action after missing the last two games. The rookie is expected to play as the nickel back, the role he served before he was hurt. Jason Horton assumed the spot in Hawkins' absence but was placed on injured reserve Wednesday because of a chronic shoulder injury.

================================

EVERYONE - please take a moment to say a prayer for the Wells Family - IPBprez

OP
OP
I

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've gone out and purchased a very nice sympathy card - and today, I'll make it known to the Club membership - already posted on the IPB web site - and have all who show up, sign the card and mail it up to Lambeau Field.

Sorta wish we knew of a email address where this site could send an Ecard, as well. Maybe we should just post one (Ecard) in a special keeper thread and let Scott Wells know about it somehow..... RYAN?

Members online

Latest posts