SB XXXII

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Someone else may be able to find it out there on the web but I recall Holmgren also making a decision to take fewer LBs into the game and one of them went out early.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite simply, calling any Reggie White d overrated is incorrect. He is the greatest Defensive lineman in NFL history, and it is not even close. To see that kind of strength and technique is unmatched. In todays game, he would still be throwing lineman like rag dolls. That 98 SB loss hurt, but the team cruised through that season like a hot knife through butter. That one got away, and it was all theirs for the taking.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers never lost a Lambeau home playoff game until Brint Fail.
Seems like a curse.

I dunno.... last I heard he was a Super Bowl Champion, 1st ballot HOF, multimillionaire... seems like he's doin pretty well to me. I always heard there were people disgruntled coming out at the half over decisions or lack thereof. Still a second tier hearbreak compared to the Eagles debacle 4th and 30-something??? And of course the total meltdown in Seattle. I think that one haunted the Packers the following year, just like Atl is suckin this year. If Levens doesnt get hurt we probably woulda had a rematch... oh well

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quite simply, calling any Reggie White d overrated is incorrect. He is the greatest Defensive lineman in NFL history, and it is not even close. To see that kind of strength and technique is unmatched. In todays game, he would still be throwing lineman like rag dolls. That 98 SB loss hurt, but the team cruised through that season like a hot knife through butter. That one got away, and it was all theirs for the taking.
Agree about Reggie, but that Denver team was no pushover.
Denver's offense had the #1 ranked offense in the league that year, in both points and yards. Green Bay was ranked second and fourth, respectively.
Denver's defense was ranked #6 in points and #5 in yards. Green Bay was ranked #5 and #7, respectively.
Those were two very evenly matched teams, Denver was underrated by the media.

Speaking of Reggie White, when you look back at those days when he was on the team, the Packers defense was routinely in the top 10. Quite a difference between then and now. I think they would have won another Super Bowl or two if it hadn't been for Dallas.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dunno.... last I heard he was a Super Bowl Champion, 1st ballot HOF, multimillionaire... seems like he's doin pretty well to me

Just a guess, but I'm pretty sure the 'fail' part of the description had to with what he did for the team, not himself. :)

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone else said, the 1997 Packers were slightly less talented than the 1996 Packers, but if memory serves both teams went 13-3. Both were dominant. They ran up against the emergence of the Denver Broncos, who to that point was not on anyone's radar. So it was a disappointment at the time because we seemed to lose to an inferior team. There were issues with Holmgren, salary cap, etc. But in hindsight, we lost to a very good team that ruled the league for a few years and won the next Super Bowl.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Reports that week were that we were too loose going into the game. Year before we were all business. That year kids were in the locker room Superbowl week. We shouldn't have lost to Denver, we still had the best Defense in the league, and the best offense, we just weren't ready to win it again.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We shouldn't have lost to Denver, we still had the best Defense in the league, and the best offense, we just weren't ready to win it again.
Again, Denver had the #1 offense that year in both points and yards. And their defense outperformed ours in yardage as well, #5 to #7.
Denver was an emerging team. They had finished 13-3 the year before but were upset in the playoffs by the Jaguars. They were 12-4 in '97 (winning Super Bowl XXXII), and improved to 14-2 in '98, winning their second consecutive Super Bowl, after which Elway retired. A lot of fans say we had the better team, but the evidence doesn't support it.

Mind you, I've hated Denver ever since that game. Just the word "helicopter" brings back bad memories. But I'm not going to delude myself either. Yeah, we might have won the game, but I can't say we "should" have won. Maybe you could have flipped a coin, those two teams were very evenly matched, IMO. But the fact is they won, and it was no fluke.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, Denver had the #1 offense that year in both points and yards. And their defense outperformed ours in yardage as well, #5 to #7.
Denver was an emerging team. They had finished 13-3 the year before but were upset in the playoffs by the Jaguars. They were 12-4 in '97 (winning Super Bowl XXXII), and improved to 14-2 in '98, winning their second consecutive Super Bowl, after which Elway retired. A lot of fans say we had the better team, but the evidence doesn't support it.

Mind you, I've hated Denver ever since that game. Just the word "helicopter" brings back bad memories. But I'm not going to delude myself either. Yeah, we might have won the game, but I can't say we "should" have won. Maybe you could have flipped a coin, those two teams were very evenly matched, IMO. But the fact is they won, and it was no fluke.
That helicopter play is so overrated. Elway had already picked up that first down even before he was hit.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That helicopter play is so overrated. Elway had already picked up that first down even before he was hit.
Yeah, but it's an iconic image of that Super Bowl, so I hate it. They sold it as Elway putting his body 100% on the line and willing to do anything to win, and take whatever punishment needed to get those few extra yards.

Another thing I hate about that Super Bowl was there was only one week between the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl (they have since quit this practice, thankfully). So you didn't have long to enjoy the moment of being there, before the roof fell in. And the national media that week focused almost entirely on the Broncos, because the Packers were the defending champs, and people were already familiar with them.

Reaction score
Off the cuff, I remember Terrell Davis gashing our Defense for 10 yards repeatedly. We could not stop their running game and it looked ugly.

I still think the 15-1 Packers meltdown against the Giants in 2011 season. We had lost just one low scoring game that season to a staunch KC Defense in an attempt to form a running game before the playoffs. McCarthy abandoned that running game once we realized we would lose and it was too late.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Coach Philbins son fell through the ice and died just before the Divisional. The fact that happened I just really expected the team to rally and pull out a Win for him and instead we got totally embarrassed and looked completely lost at every turn. One of the worst letdowns at Lambeau and not what anyone expected.

Last edited:

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Coach Philbins son fell through the ice and died just before the Divisional. The fact that happened I just really expected the team to rally and pull out a Win for him and instead we got totally embarrassed and looked completely lost at every turn.
Yeah, I thought the team would try to win one for Philbin also, but it seemed like everyone was just brought down by it instead.

The flip side to having all those playoff chances over the years is that it's resulted in a lot of big disappointing moments when we've failed - Seattle, 4th and 26th, Denver, the home losses, losing to the Giants at Lambeau twice, getting blown out by Atlanta, etc.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another thing I hate about that Super Bowl was there was only one week between the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl (they have since quit this practice, thankfully).

Just goes to show that sports fans can't ever be in lock-step. I absolutely hate the two week break. The number of meaningless reports generated just to fill that time period is agonizing. By the time the Super Bowl arrives, I've sort of forgotten about it. As with everything else in sports, it's fine if you enjoy the gap, but it's been a sore spot of mine for a long time. :)

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Off the cuff, I remember Terrell Davis gashing our Defense for 10 yards repeatedly. We could not stop their running game and it looked ugly.

I still think the 15-1 Packers meltdown against the Giants in 2011 season. We had lost just one low scoring game that season to a staunch KC Defense in an attempt to form a running game before the playoffs. McCarthy abandoned that running game once we realized we would lose and it was too late.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Coach Philbins son fell through the ice and died just before the Divisional. The fact that happened I just really expected the team to rally and pull out a Win for him and instead we got totally embarrassed and looked completely lost at every turn. One of the worst letdowns at Lambeau and not what anyone expected.

That 2011 Packers team was 15-1....with smoking mirrors. The D was awful and Rodgers had to repeatedly bail them out to win games ( some things never change). Everyone and their dog should've known what would happen if Rodgers had an " off" day. Guess what happened against the Giants ?

Google search: "colin cowherd packers not elite"

Someone try and argue what he said?

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That 2011 Packers team was 15-1....with smoking mirrors. The D was awful and Rodgers had to repeatedly bail them out to win games ( some things never change). Everyone and their dog should've known what would happen if Rodgers had an " off" day. Guess what happened against the Giants?

Ted Thompson may go down as one of the most despised ( rightfully so) gm's in history. He's blantly ignored the D, and consistently fielded one of the worst rosters in the league.
The first paragraph has some merit. The second is so laughingly ridiculous that I would give it 20 disagrees if it were possible.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Although I agree with what you say, it's, fortunately, the number of people that disagree that counts, not the number of times an individual disagrees.

OP
OP
P

Packer Brother

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's an iconic image of that Super Bowl, so I hate it. They sold it as Elway putting his body 100% on the line and willing to do anything to win, and take whatever punishment needed to get those few extra yards.

Another thing I hate about that Super Bowl was there was only one week between the Conference Championship Games and the Super Bowl (they have since quit this practice, thankfully). So you didn't have long to enjoy the moment of being there, before the roof fell in. And the national media that week focused almost entirely on the Broncos, because the Packers were the defending champs, and people were already familiar with them.

There was two weeks between the 97 Title games & Super Bowl.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997–98_NFL_playoffs

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There was two weeks between the 97 Title games & Super Bowl.
I guess you're right. I would have sworn that was one of the one week years. Oh well, chalk another one to my bad memory.
The nice thing about the two week break is it gives the teams a chance to get a little healthier.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I recorded over Super Bowl 32 the NEXT day. Still have 4 original VHS tapes of the entire day of Super Bowl coverage of SB31 - commercials and all. I advised my son (who was 9 years old when the game was played) to NEVER go look for a video of Super Bowl 32. Yet, earlier this year, at age 28...he looked, found a full game copy, then advised me via Text ... "should have listened ...but nooo-ooooo-ooooo".

Yeah there were a lot of distractions allowed leading up that game - not the least of which was Holmgren's fascination with Allen and the Seahawks. As I recall, the Packers filed a tampering charge after the game and the NFL disallowed it. Then, the very next year ... lo and behold ... he's being jetted to Seattle like a cheap lady of the evening. Had Holmgren hung around, there would have been more Super Bowls. He was the only guy who could contain Brett's effervescent personality.

Members online

Latest posts