Sandolf introduction. Please vote.

Sandolf should...

• leave the board as this forum is only for Packers fans.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • stay on, but exclusively as a clown for our amusement.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I am originally from in a small city in Canada close to the Montana border. In the early days there was no cable tv, so most of my generation grew up with no real interest or exposure to the NFL. Later my father became a photographer for a local tv station in Calgary. CFL games were not always televised, so he would shoot them on 16mm film, process and edit it for the evening news. As a small kid I was deposited in the press box to watch the games with the scribes. My eventual interest in the NFL would be to follow ex-CFL players trying to make it there.

My first NFL team was the Houston Oilers. I absolutely loved Bum Phillips who to me was a larger than life legend. When Warren Moon went down I followed him from the Oilers, to the Vikings (sorry), Seahawks and even the Chiefs where he backed up a guy named Elvis. I defected to the Bills when Doug Flutie signed there and then to the Chargers, which has become permanent.

I wandered into the Packer Forum because one close friend of mine got perma-banned from Bolttalk under the most dubious of circumstances. The moderators were acting largely in self-serving and egotisical fashion. I was interested to see if this board which is administered by the same owner, was as dour, depressing and humorless as Bolttalk. The Packers' losing streak seemed to level the playing field in terms of the football team affecting the mood. Here are the stats.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

One could assume the "funnys" are recycled material. It is indeed funny that three weeks here exceeds six years there. There is a much more social group of fans here. I like this board a lot. But obstensively my work has been done. I would appreciate some feedback about your times as football posters here and if the mods have helped or hindered you. And also... PLEASE vote in my poll. I am going to heavily consider the majority opinion.

Thanks. Best wishes and good luck to your team.

Last edited:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you stay.
I appreciate your insights and posts and you are very kind and polite and you keep it humble.
I've seen my share of cocky, no class fans from other teams who come in here and whose only interest is to troll instead of having any real dialog.
You are not one of them.

Last edited:
D

Dan115

Sandolf, How close to the Montana border. I was living in Great Falls 72-74. No cable but NFL and college football was broadcast just like any other state in the USA.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hope you stay Sandolf, no need to go.:eek:
As one of the mentioned "soccer guys" I'd miss your messages and opinions ;)
Btw - nice introduction, now I know where you from and Im still surprised how good your German is :tup:
Einen schoenen Sonntag, bis dann !

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
I'm on a mobile device right now and can't see the poll. But I would say I enjoy reading your posts.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

IluvGB

I <3 Packers!!!!
Reaction score
I've tried to formulate some comment for this poll....this will have to do!:whistling:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
So how did Doug Flutie do in the CFL?
Win any playoffs or championships?

Flutie is widely considered the best player of all time in the CFL and was voted as such in a sports writer's poll. He won three Grey Cups in eight seasons as well as six league MVP awards while essentially rewriting the record books. Warren Moon was voted fifth.

---
Thanks for the kind words FF. Very much appreciated.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Sandolf, How close to the Montana border. I was living in Great Falls 72-74. No cable but NFL and college football was broadcast just like any other state in the USA.

Havre, Montana would have been about half the distance between us.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Thats something thats much easier in your language, Sandolf. There is no "Du" or "Sie" :D

It kind of cuts both ways Nessie. I when eventually returned to Canada it took a couple of years before I readapted to absolute strangers calling me by my first name. There is something "schmuddelig" about it. :eek:

I was per 'du' with my boss at the NDR. I called him Georg. His secretary always referred to him as Herr Lorfing. Her explanation was... (and excuse me if this seems uncultured)... Es ist einfach du Arschloch zu sagen. Sie Arschloch klingt wiederum kommisch.

Georg was an exception. But generally "Sie" bosses are more no nonsense.

(manchmal vermisse ich Deutschland sehr)

Last edited:

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
It kind of cuts both ways Nessie. I when eventually returned to Canada it took a couple of years before I readapted to absolute strangers calling me by my first name. There is something "schmuddelig" about it. :eek:

I was per 'du' with my boss at the NDR. I called him Georg. His secretary always referred to him as Herr Lorfing. Her explanation was... (and excuse me if this seems uncultured)... Es ist einfach du Arschloch zu sagen. Sie Arschloch klingt weiderum kommisch.

Georg was an exception. But generally "Sie" bosses are more no nonsense.

(manchmal vermisse ich Deutschland sehr)

Funny, as you have lived in our part of the world for so long you obviously got used to Sie and Du ;)
"Sie" is just the more formal and polite way, especially if you talk to a person you dont know.
Indeed we have this saying " Du A****loch ist leichter gesagt als Sie A****loch" :D so thats why Im very careful who Im offering a "Du", especially in business.
Btw - it has become popular to use your first name and Sie but I dont like it. Its neither fish nor fowl nor good red
herring :rolleyes: ;)

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Btw - it has become popular to use your first name and Sie but I dont like it. Its neither fish nor fowl nor good red
herring :rolleyes: ;)

Very true Nessie. I experienced some of that before I left. It just sounds weird.

My first German teacher at the Goethe Institute in Toronto said that if it sounds wrong, it probably is wrong. One girl in the class couldn't remember the articles, so she used "die" for everything. The teacher found that extremely irritating.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very true Nessie. I experienced some of that before I left. It just sounds weird.

My first German teacher at the Goethe Institute in Toronto said that if it sounds wrong, it probably is wrong. One girl in the class couldn't remember the articles, so she used "die" for everything. The teacher found that extremely irritating.
Another thing that is so much easier in English ;) I know many people think German is difficult to learn, but just try Russian. Horrible grammar :D

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Another thing that is so much easier in English ;) I know many people think German is difficult to learn, but just try Russian. Horrible grammar :D

Lots of exceptions in Russian. German is at least logical... (mostly). It is pronounced as it is written. What do you make of an English word like "enough"? "Krankenhaus" is way more descriptive than "hospital".

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Just a little unsolicited trivia of sorts. The guy in my avatar was born in Green Bay during the time when his father (David Whitehurst) was a QB with the Packers.

Today is a very good day. When the Chargers can crush Eli Manning and end the Gnats playoff hopes... it is utterly fantastic! Peyton and the Donks are up next on Thursday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
I'm back from a short trip to do some defrosting in Florida. It seems like I missed some pretty vicious weather here in Toronto.

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm back from a short trip to do some defrosting in Florida. It seems like I missed some pretty vicious weather here in Toronto.
Welcome back Sandolf, Florida sounds like nice warm weather instead of foggy, rainy weather on this side
of the Atlantic. ;)

mhnessie

Full On Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll trade your foggy rainy weather for my -10C, 45kph, 15cm of snow almost anytime.
Well, maybe I'll give it some thought, at least its real winter weather....... ;)
But seriously, I know you guys have really cold winters up there, with huge amounts of snow and very low temperatures. We dont know something similar here in this part of my country because we are too close to the sea.
15 cm of snow means a lot of snow to shovel...no thank you :rolleyes::D

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, maybe I'll give it some thought, at least its real winter weather....... ;)
But seriously, I know you guys have really cold winters up there, with huge amounts of snow and very low temperatures. We dont know something similar here in this part of my country because we are too close to the sea.
15 cm of snow means a lot of snow to shovel...no thank you :rolleyes::D
The snow was so fluffy and wind strong enough that I ran my snowblower with the chute straight up. The snow just blew away. Still haven't had to make a snowbank this year.

OP
OP
Sandolf

Sandolf

Blue Moon Rising
Reaction score
Welcome back Sandolf, Florida sounds like nice warm weather instead of foggy, rainy weather on this side
of the Atlantic. ;)

Well... after just this one post an ice storm knocked out the power and it took 34 hours for it to be restored. The place is heating up again.

Last edited:

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The snow was so fluffy and wind strong enough that I ran my snowblower with the chute straight up. The snow just blew away. Still haven't had to make a snowbank this year.

I had to make a few Sunday..wet and heavy snow and some where around 8 inches

Members online

Latest posts