Romo nominated for Emmy as broadcaster

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...ngs-have-turned-out-pretty-good-for-tony-romo

Good for him!

Honestly, being from Texas, it's good to hear for him as I always ALWAYS felt that he was OVERRATED as an NFL quarterback

Top 5 TE of all time
Terrell Owens at top 5 WR talent of all time
Many amazing running backs

He had great stats but was the BIGGEST CHOKER in the playoffs

But he was ONE HELL of an announcer honestly...

People gave him so much crap, but I thought he did an EXCEPTIONAL job as announcer

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was so ready to mock him but damn if he didn't become my favorite announcer instantly the moment he called a game

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was honestly really good as an announcer... TERRIBLY OVERRATED as an NFL quarterback but one of the best NFL game announcers in a long *** time

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he was honestly really good as an announcer... TERRIBLY OVERRATED as an NFL quarterback but one of the best NFL game announcers in a long *** time

He was not terribly overrated as an NFL QB fwiw, but is a great announcer no question. Little too much fanboy at times but overall the change from Simms to Romo is the greatest decision CBS ever made. I thought a good point was brought up about him though, he's still pretty in tune with today's players. Meaning, he's played against most of them, so we'll see how he is once he has to do some real research on new guys as they come into the league.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no problem with it. he's been great. some have tried to copy his play predicting. remember troy saying the next play would be to someone in the trips right formation and Rodgers went back to Adams on the back-shoulder to win it in dallas?!!!! lol

H

HardRightEdge

Too many commentators dumb it down, evidently for fear of alienating typical fans with pre-snap reads and wonky analysis. Romo harbors no such fear, though I noticed he watered things down a bit toward the end of the season. He's a unique voice among the generic competition. He should stay true to his instincts.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-cow...ngs-have-turned-out-pretty-good-for-tony-romo

Good for him!

Honestly, being from Texas, it's good to hear for him as I always ALWAYS felt that he was OVERRATED as an NFL quarterback

Top 5 TE of all time

People gave him so much crap, but I thought he did an EXCEPTIONAL job as announcer

I feel like his choking was overstated, IMO those Jones Cowboys teams had a history of meltdowns and still do.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Too bad he's not on Fox. I can listen to that guy without throwing stuff at the TV.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just an addendum I remember when people panned Tony for that 07-08 playoff loss. My take from that game is that if his receivers made a couple more routine catches, one of them a sure 70 yard tuddy, Romo would have come out of that game looking like a stud.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just an addendum I remember when people panned Tony for that 07-08 playoff loss. My take from that game is that if his receivers made a couple more routine catches, one of them a sure 70 yard tuddy, Romo would have come out of that game looking like a stud.
Choker is a strong word. He has had to deal with terrible defenses, just as Rodgers has. Winning in the playoffs is impossible this way.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an announcer he is definitely the real deal. Please FOX hire him and rid yourselves of Troy Aikman and Buck. The down hill progression the Pack had this year actually calmed me down as I was so sick of having to listen to Aikman Buck all the time in the past. There are better options out there. And Phil Simms should not be on TV at all anymore.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hate the Cowboys with the fire of a million suns, but I have to admit Romo does a good job announcing.
It helps that he's from Wisconsin though.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Choker is a strong word. He has had to deal with terrible defenses, just as Rodgers has. Winning in the playoffs is impossible this way.

I remember those Boys teams being incredibly undisciplined and just not reliable. When you gamble on talented character risk types lax discipline can really bite you in the ***.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought he did a great job as the announcer. It was refreshing to hear him after countless times of hearing Buck and Aikman.

GB2016

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great announcer. I loved how he would explain the technical aspects of the game...stuff that only players and coaches would know. Never seen others get in the the details of the game like him.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He absolutely deserves it. When I firsts watched a game with him calling, I had to look up who the magical fortune teller was who kept correctly predicting plays down to the WR route.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good for him!

Top 5 TE of all time

I personally enjoyed his commentary, so I'm happy for him.

It seems he's continuing the tradition of former Dallas Cowboy quarterbacks ending up in the booth - Don Meredith, for many years on MNF, and of course Troy Aikman on the 'A' team at Fox Sports. Perhaps that bodes well for Dak Prescott's post NFL career.......

OP
OP
kevans74

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't cut him slack for choking...

Brett used to choke in his YOUNGER days a LOT to the Cowboys(with Aikman always beating him) but he eventually got the Pack over the hump...

this isn't like Romo's Cowboys were constantly losing to like the Patriots or something... which is the equivalent(if not better) to the mid 90s Aikman Cowboys teams

The only difference is Brett eventually DID GET us OVER the hump... Romo never did.

I'm sorry, you can have TERRIFIC stats(Phillip Rivers) but not do **** and that still classifies as choking

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As an announcer he is definitely the real deal. Please FOX hire him and rid yourselves of Troy Aikman and Buck. The down hill progression the Pack had this year actually calmed me down as I was so sick of having to listen to Aikman Buck all the time in the past. There are better options out there. And Phil Simms should not be on TV at all anymore.
He's not leaving CBS for a long time I imagine. He's on the lead team with a legend in Nantz on the highest rated channel. He's reached the pinnacle. FWIW I would LOVE having him on Fox. The guys passion for the game jumps off the TV opposed to Joe and Troy sounding like they are commentating at Antiques Roadshow. Zzzzzzzzzz

Staff online

Latest posts