Rollins done for the year...

H

HardRightEdge

I'm absolutely convinced the Packers are aware that Rodgers won't be back within less than eight weeks. In my opinion there's no reason not to put him on injured reserve before the end of the week.
If the Packers were as absolutely convinced as you, they would have done it already.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've seen achilles and ankle mentioned in reports on Rollins. sure hope it's not an achilles. nobody ever comes back from that with the same speed.
I would not be surprised if he was replaced next year anyway.... with or without the injury.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let’s bring back Deion Sanders while we’re at it.. why do so many fans want to sacrifice the future to pay $15 million to a veteran that has one or two years left in their career and might contribute something more than teaching the rookies a thing or two?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
why do so many fans want to sacrifice the future to pay $15 million to a veteran that has one or two years left in their career and might contribute something more than teaching the rookies a thing or two?
it's because people see that the Rodgers window is closing. they saw it happen with BF. Rodgers asked for everyone to be "all-in." they've seen young inexperienced players not develop so experienced rentals are attractive. TT's experienced rentals don't sacrifice the future. what price do you put on SB? how far in the future are we talking about?

D

Deleted member 6794

i've seen achilles and ankle mentioned in reports on Rollins. sure hope it's not an achilles. nobody ever comes back from that with the same speed.

According to beat writers Rollins suffered an Achilles injury. There's no reason to worry about him not being able to return with the same speed as he wasn't any fast to start with.

Let’s bring back Deion Sanders while we’re at it.. why do so many fans want to sacrifice the future to pay $15 million to a veteran that has one or two years left in their career and might contribute something more than teaching the rookies a thing or two?

I haven't seen a single poster advocating for the Packers to bring in a veteran making $15 million.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to beat writers Rollins suffered an Achilles injury. There's no reason to worry about him not being able to return with the same speed as he wasn't any fast to start with.

I haven't seen a single poster advocating for the Packers to bring in a veteran making $15 million.
That’s the problem. Fans don’t actually understand the game. Veterans that used to be good aren’t cheap. And they aren’t good either.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That’s the problem. Fans don’t actually understand the game. Veterans that used to be good aren’t cheap. And they aren’t good either.
While it's true that many fans, including some on this forum, are less informed about the intricacies of the game than others, it's a bit presumptuous of you to join a forum on Monday and make a claim implying that you are far more knowledgeable than everybody here. Maybe that's not what you meant, but your response to Captain Wimm definitely came across that way to me. As far as the actual issue being discussed, there is no reason to assume that bringing in a veteran free agent would need to cost 15 million dollars. As with everything, there is a middle ground, and most rational posters here are aware of that.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While it's true that many fans, including some on this forum, are less informed about the intricacies of the game than others, it's a bit presumptuous of you to join a forum on Monday and make a claim implying that you are far more knowledgeable than everybody here. Maybe that's not what you meant, but your response to Captain Wimm definitely came across that way to me. As far as the actual issue being discussed, there is no reason to assume that bringing in a veteran free agent would need to cost 15 million dollars. As with everything, there is a middle ground, and most rational posters here are aware of that.
The post was specifically about Cromartie or Revis, not just any old veteran. Key word being old in either case. Those guys wouldn’t come cheap, and it makes no sense to pay for a name when that player is past their best years.

My tenure on this specific forum has absolutely nothing to do with my knowledge or opinion of the game of football, and claiming that the two are related comes across pretty condescending and misinformed.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The post was specifically about Cromartie or Revis, not just any old veteran. Key word being old in either case. Those guys wouldn’t come cheap, and it makes no sense to pay for a name when that player is past their best years.

My tenure on this specific forum has absolutely nothing to do with my knowledge or opinion of the game of football, and claiming that the two are related comes across pretty condescending and misinformed.
Your tenure on the forum speaks specifically to your knowledge of the people in this forum and the issues that have been discussed here ad nauseum. Nothing you have said is new. We have had this debate for a very long time. I happen to agree with your position.... it was your tone I took issue with.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your tenure on the forum speaks specifically to your knowledge of the people in this forum and the issues that have been discussed here ad nauseum. Nothing you have said is new. We have had this debate for a very long time. I happen to agree with your position.... it was your tone I took issue with.
I wasn’t intending the tone towards the OP or anyone specific. Just the fan base in general (of any team). Most fans don’t understand that most big name free agent signings across the league end up hurting the team that signs them. Quick fixes only work if they come at the right price for the right guy, which is very rare and is more often than not a name a lot of people don’t know.

So it wasn’t about the fans on this forum, just fans in general - such as those that write into the insider inbox, and fans I am acquainted with in the real world. No offense was intended, just poking fun at the never-ending suggestions of free agent signings.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wasn’t intending the tone towards the OP or anyone specific. Just the fan base in general (of any team). Most fans don’t understand that most big name free agent signings across the league end up hurting the team that signs them. Quick fixes only work if they come at the right price for the right guy, which is very rare and is more often than not a name a lot of people don’t know.

So it wasn’t about the fans on this forum, just fans in general - such as those that write into the insider inbox, and fans I am acquainted with in the real world. No offense was intended, just poking fun at the never-ending suggestions of free agent signings.
Fair enough.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, it seems that you don't understand that Rodgers-Cromartie is currently under contract with the Giants therefore the Packers would have to work out a trade to acquire him. That move would currently result in a $4.5 million cap hit for the 2017 season. That number would decrease to $3.7 million if Thompson waits until the deadline to make a move for him.

With Green Bay currently having $12 million in cap space the team could afford to bring in the veteran cornerback.

Mijapi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, it seems that you don't understand that Rodgers-Cromartie is currently under contract with the Giants therefore the Packers would have to work out a trade to acquire him. That move would currently result in a $4.5 million cap hit for the 2017 season. That number would decrease to $3.7 million if Thompson waits until the deadline to make a move for him.

With Green Bay currently having $12 million in cap space the team could afford to bring in the veteran cornerback.
Or they could roll that $12mil into next year so they can afford to pay Adams what he is worth. They also have to worry about resigning Burnett and House if they want. NFL teams with sustained success generally look more than one year in the future too, so planning for the following year is probably on their mind - they’ll have Matthews, Cobb, HaHa, and Montgomery due for new contracts. And then of course in 2020 there is Aaron Rodgers’ last big(huge) contract, Mike Daniels with another big one, and if Blake Martinez keeps it up there’s another big one.

The Packers have a bright future with their current roster, but only if they manage their salary cap to be able to keep these guys. A hit of either $4.5mil or $3.7mil would likely mean letting at least one important free agent go next year. In addition, with it requiring a trade, you’ll be giving up a draft pick for half a year of a past-his-prime veteran.

In my opinion, even if it was free I don’t think adding either of those two players to the roster would greatly improve the defense. We can certainly debate on that point. But I don’t think there is any debating the fact that they are definitely not worth their weight in cap/draft pick value.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Instead of putting Rollins on the IR its time ro part ways with him and cut him and make an injury settlement. At this point his roster spot is more vakuable than his play.

D

Deleted member 6794

Or they could roll that $12mil into next year so they can afford to pay Adams what he is worth. They also have to worry about resigning Burnett and House if they want. NFL teams with sustained success generally look more than one year in the future too, so planning for the following year is probably on their mind - they’ll have Matthews, Cobb, HaHa, and Montgomery due for new contracts. And then of course in 2020 there is Aaron Rodgers’ last big(huge) contract, Mike Daniels with another big one, and if Blake Martinez keeps it up there’s another big one.

The Packers have a bright future with their current roster, but only if they manage their salary cap to be able to keep these guys. A hit of either $4.5mil or $3.7mil would likely mean letting at least one important free agent go next year. In addition, with it requiring a trade, you’ll be giving up a draft pick for half a year of a past-his-prime veteran.

In my opinion, even if it was free I don’t think adding either of those two players to the roster would greatly improve the defense. We can certainly debate on that point. But I don’t think there is any debating the fact that they are definitely not worth their weight in cap/draft pick value.

I agree that the Packers shouldn't trade for a veteran in the current situation with Rodgers being done for the season. Including the roll over the team currently has over $40 million in projected cap space available for next year definitely allowing them to re-sign all of the free agents they want to retain though. Even if they acquired another veteran for a reasonable deal in 2017.

Instead of putting Rollins on the IR its time ro part ways with him and cut him and make an injury settlement. At this point his roster spot is more vakuable than his play.

Rollins doesn't count against the roster limit of 53 players while being on injured reserve.