Robert Tonyan - TE

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A third knee operation for Bahktiari. Was the first one botched? Most ACL recoveries don't turn into a circus of mounting problems but its the Packers so expect injuries.
That's three operations on the same knee, likely related to the initial injury, an ACL tear. Something is off here, and the explanations we've gotten from the Packers don't shed any light on what's wrong. First he had an operation to repair a torn ACL. OK. Then many months later he had a procedure to trim a tear on the meniscus. I'd love to know how a guy rehabbing an ACL tear can damage a meniscus, but hey, **** happens.

Now a third procedure - and that's all we know. Gotta wonder if Bakh has taken his last snap for GB. It's not very optimistic, is it?

Some commenters have commented on the timing of the ACL tear so close to Bakh signing a big extension. Those are two different issues, and injury is just part of football.

The only good news is that Gluten has done a great job drafting and acquiring talent for the OL. No, none of them are Bakh. But the OL coaches are also an outstanding group.

All that said, get better Bakh!

Last edited:

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really enjoy all the forum doctors' sharing their medical knowledge with everyone. Not trying to single anyone out, just really excited to see what abnormality or irregular procedure outcome I get to learn about next!

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really enjoy all the forum doctors' sharing their medical knowledge with everyone. Not trying to single anyone out, just really excited to see what abnormality or irregular procedure outcome I get to learn about next!
Monday morning QBs. Full time orthopedic surgeons........

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems to me that having another operation will be a good thing. Have to see how it turns out obviously.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I enjoy all the arm chair Gm and coaches take on how they know more than the people employed at 1265

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Concern level is low? Then why is he on the PUP and not practicing? That's a lot of BS. Most guys don't need 3 operations following an ACL tear.
PUP list now isnt like in season

for players who are carrying football-related injuries entering training camp. Players on the PUP list are allowed to participate in meetings and use team facilities, but they can’t practice.

There’s no initial penalty for a player going on the PUP list, as they can be activated at any time during the preseason. However, once activated they cannot be returned to the PUP list.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

for players who are carrying football-related injuries entering training camp. Players on the PUP list are allowed to participate in meetings and use team facilities, but they can’t practice.

There’s no initial penalty for a player going on the PUP list, as they can be activated at any time during the preseason. However, once activated they cannot be returned to the PUP list.
Yup and 6+ weeks until the season starts.

People need to get a grip....look at the NFL list of players currently on PUP.

D

Deleted member 6794

Are any of them an upgrade from Bahk? Well, until he is healthy, yes.

The Packers need an adequate replacement for a healthy Bakhtiari if he isn't able to play this season.

None of the guys you listed fit that bill.

People need to get a grip....look at the NFL list of players currently on PUP.

How many of them haven't been able to get on the field for the better parts of 19 months because of the injury they're on the list for?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's interesting stuff. Initially I was surprised they had a PUP list for TC. But I guess they need some way to track guys. What is the purpose though? To keep a guy on the list of 90 without working him or waiving him?

And as for Bakh, yeah we are all orthopedic surgeons now,, myself included. Rather than speculate, best to see if he shows up in the PS at all. In other words, I'll believe he's ready when he's ready and taking snaps.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Concern level is low? Then why is he on the PUP and not practicing? That's a lot of BS. Most guys don't need 3 operations following an ACL tear.
Well, technically it was two operations after the ACL repair. That is a technicality. It's 3 procedures related to the same injury. How many times have we seen that? None that I can remember,

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
David said that for the first time in all of this time, his knee feels normal. We've heard optimistic soundbites surrounding his recovery since last summer, which turned out to not be the case. I trust Bahktiari's feeling but we all have a right to remain skeptical at this point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
What is the purpose though? To keep a guy on the list of 90 without working him or waiving him?
Not really. The short article below explains it pretty well. Basically, the advantage to placing an injured player on PUP before camp starts, is if he doesn't heal before the start of the season, he can stay on PUP, not count against the 53 and come back as soon as 4 games pass.

Had Bahk practiced on Day 1 and couldn't go...he would not be eligible for the "Active PUP" list, just the "reserve PUP" list, which wouldn't allow him to return in 2022. Or the Packers could carry him on their active roster and place him on IR when the season starts. But that means they have to cut someone to temporarily keep Bahk on the 53.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not really. The short article below explains it pretty well. Basically, the advantage to placing an injured player on PUP before camp starts, is if he doesn't heal before the start of the season, he can stay on PUP, not count against the 53 and come back as soon as 4 games pass.

Had Bahk practiced on Day 1 and couldn't go...he would not be eligible for the "Active PUP" list, just the "reserve PUP" list, which wouldn't allow him to return in 2022. Or the Packers could carry him on their active roster and place him on IR when the season starts. But that means they have to cut someone to temporarily keep Bahk on the 53.

Thanks for the explanation Poker. That probably explains the number of guys starting TC on PUP, like Watson. Thanks for the clarification.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks EG. What was Harrell's situation? I seem to remember he was drafted high and then subject to injury.

Harrell was goofy and IMHO, we never really got a honest feel for him.

He had a slightly history of injuries in college--it's been a while, but I seem to recall things like rolled ankles. Missed a few games, but nothing serious. Then during his senior year, he ruptured his bicep. Not a small injury, but one that is quite recoverable.

While on the roster, Harrell hurt his back while listing. There were rumors this was due to our S&C coach driving him too hard or unsafely in the weight room. I don't know the truth behind that, but I seem to recall S&C getting his pink slip after the end of the season. This lead to a string of procedures to fix his back. As a 300+ D-Lineman, a healthy back is a big deal and not easily fixed.

Finally, he got through training camp healthy in, I believe 2009. Capers' scheme suited him well as a 3/5T tackle end in a 3-4. He actually looked like he was going thrive. And then he promptly tore his ACL on a field goal.

In some respects, he was injury prone. In others, he's the most unlucky person in the world. I suspect some of both.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation Poker. That probably explains the number of guys starting TC on PUP, like Watson. Thanks for the clarification.
Yup and it "costs" the player and team almost nothing to do it. Just a spot on the 90 man roster. The obvious upside is if the players recovery stretches into the regular season, they don't need to be put on the 53 or IR.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Harrell was goofy and IMHO, we never really got a honest feel for him.

He had a slightly history of injuries in college--it's been a while, but I seem to recall things like rolled ankles. Missed a few games, but nothing serious. Then during his senior year, he ruptured his bicep. Not a small injury, but one that is quite recoverable.

While on the roster, Harrell hurt his back while listing. There were rumors this was due to our S&C coach driving him too hard or unsafely in the weight room. I don't know the truth behind that, but I seem to recall S&C getting his pink slip after the end of the season. This lead to a string of procedures to fix his back. As a 300+ D-Lineman, a healthy back is a big deal and not easily fixed.

Finally, he got through training camp healthy in, I believe 2009. Capers' scheme suited him well as a 3/5T tackle end in a 3-4. He actually looked like he was going thrive. And then he promptly tore his ACL on a field goal.

In some respects, he was injury prone. In others, he's the most unlucky person in the world. I suspect some of both.
Thanks. Yeah now some of that comes back. I work with a trainer because in in my 60s and I've had surgeries on my knees, feet, and back and I don't want any more surgeries. I just wanna stay in shape. My trainer is very careful not to push me too far.

Tore his ACL on a FG? That's just bad luck. Too bad it din't work out for him.

Reaction score
We’re seeing an unusually long list on PUP. That said I don’t see anything super questionable beyond maybe Bak or Watson. Even those two could both start this year.

If we can get a healthy Tonyan and Bak early in? It’s going to be an early Christmas!

Members online

Latest posts