Robert Tonyan - TE

Reaction score
Tonyan is in a really good spot if he’s out doing drills 6 weeks prior training camp. Camp is a full month away and our first regular season game is just 1 day shy of 12 full weeks.
He’s in a really good spot

Reaction score
Tonyan was out doing step drills over 6 weeks prior training camp. Camp is a full month away and our first regular season game is months away.

If he continues at this rate he’ll be very close to playing very early in the season. Plus, I’m quite sure they will ramp his snaps up slowly to be cautious. My guess is they wouldn’t give him any full load of reps before October range (week 4+) even if he’s activated.
He’s doing really well from what it appears.

This was Gute from 3 months ago via Packers Wire.

Bobby is doing great. I don’t think we have a real timetable on that, but I just know he’s ahead of schedule,” Gutekunst said Monday at the NFL Annual Meeting. “We won’t close the door on anything early, if it’s possible. But at the same time, you guys know how important he’s going to be to our offense, so we’ll be cautious as we go through that, make sure he’s available for the whole year.”

Last edited:

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From a roster perspective, I expect the Packers to put him on the PUP list until mid-season. That gives him extra time to get strong and confident, it gives Gute an extra roster spot, and keeps Tonyan fresh through the playoffs.

Reaction score
From a roster perspective, I expect the Packers to put him on the PUP list until mid-season. That gives him extra time to get strong and confident, it gives Gute an extra roster spot, and keeps Tonyan fresh through the playoffs.
It could absolutely give another TE a significant chance to prove themselves. While you never want to see it go down that way, it’s one positive that we might see more of Deguara or Davis.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
If Tonyan is looking like he will be close to being ready to go in September, I don't see the Packers putting what amounts to their #1 TE on PUP. By doing so, they keep him from playing or practicing with the team for a minimum of 6 weeks, after the season starts. If he has a setback between now and training camp, maybe I can see it. If they had a crowded TE room of budding stars, might make sense. Like I said before, they won't rush him back, but I doubt they put him on ice from the start of training camp until mid October, just to keep a "54th" roster guy.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure about this poker, but I think the PUP list has been lowered to 4 weeks.
However, the NFL quietly modified the rules for the PUP list this offseason. Now players are eligible to begin to practice after just four games. With no set minimum number of practices to get back into the lineup, PUP players could be back without even missing a quarter of the 17-game season.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have good blocking TE's and Deguara is an H back type if TE, but they don't have the type of TE like Tonyan that has the speed to beat a LB down the middle. Either Gute makes a trade ot they just skip the part of the playbook where they need a TE deep threat. If it takes 10 months to heal, Tonyan may be ready by the start of next season if the Packers want him back.
He might be ready at the beginning of September, but that would be 10 months since the injury. It's possible. I don't think he starts the season on PUP. And he'll need time to get his football legs back.

D

Deleted member 6794

Tonyan was out doing step drills over 6 weeks prior training camp. Camp is a full month away and our first regular season game is months away.

If he continues at this rate he’ll be very close to playing very early in the season. Plus, I’m quite sure they will ramp his snaps up slowly to be cautious. My guess is they wouldn’t give him any full load of reps before October range (week 4+) even if he’s activated.
He’s doing really well from what it appears.

This was Gute from 3 months ago via Packers Wire.

Bobby is doing great. I don’t think we have a real timetable on that, but I just know he’s ahead of schedule,” Gutekunst said Monday at the NFL Annual Meeting. “We won’t close the door on anything early, if it’s possible. But at the same time, you guys know how important he’s going to be to our offense, so we’ll be cautious as we go through that, make sure he’s available for the whole year.”

It might be smart to not put too much stock into reports like that as MLF confirmed in mid-June of last year that Bakhtiari was ahead of schedule in his recovery from a torn ACL as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
It might be smart to not put too much stock into reports like that as MLF confirmed in mid-June of last year that Bakhtiari was ahead of schedule in his recovery from a torn ACL as well.
Guessing MLF regrets making that statement and probably part of the reason that coaches try to steer clear of the subject of recovery time and when a player will be back on the field. I think he alluded to it not that long ago by saying he didn't want to put a time table on one of the players return.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah it's interesting to see how guys like Gluten and MLF can contradict themselves - "There's no timetable for (insert player)'s return, but he's ahead of schedule." What!?!

Reaction score
While that’s true that we cant always predict the future, we also can’t function as an organization in constant fear. You and me as fans don’t have near the real time, day to day info that teams have. We’re way behind in recovery information in comparison to team doctors and staff.
In addition. Not every NFL player suddenly goes into an 18 month recovery cycle basket with ongoing question marks. Just because 1 guy had a setback doesn’t mean Jenkins and Tonyan and Khylin’s are all going to follow David’s path. That’s why there is a recovery timetable formed from the mean average of the bulk of players. David’s is much longer than average, but let’s be cognizant that we likely proceed with prudence because he’s one of our best assets.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While that’s true that we cant always predict the future, we also can’t function as an organization in constant fear. You and me as fans don’t have near the real time, day to day info that teams have. We’re way behind in recovery information in comparison to team doctors and staff.
In addition. Not every NFL player suddenly goes into an 18 month recovery cycle basket with ongoing question marks. Just because 1 guy had a setback doesn’t mean Jenkins and Tonyan and Khylin’s are all going to follow David’s path. That’s why there is a recovery timetable formed from the mean average of the bulk of players. David’s is much longer than average, but let’s be cognoscente that we likely will put proceed with prudence because he’s one of our best assets.
All that you say is spot on. Bakh's injury is such that I expect it's confounding even the medical experts. Actually, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more with athletes who tear their ACL. It's a complicated surgery and repair. The surgeon in most cases I believe has to rebuild the ligament using a ligament from somewhere else or a cadaver ligament. And once the surgical incision is closed, there's no way - well other than very unreliable x-rays, CT scans, or MRIs - to determine how well the ligament has "taken". On top of that these are all big guys were talking about, especially Bakh and Jenkins. That's a lot of weight and pressure being channeled through the knee.

Coaches always keep injury updates as limited as possible, mostly to keep a competitor guessing. We're well beyond that with Bakh and his lack of participation is a concern. But just file it with all the other things we don't control and wait for better days.

Reaction score
All that you say is spot on. Bakh's injury is such that I expect it's confounding even the medical experts. Actually, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more with athletes who tear their ACL. It's a complicated surgery and repair. The surgeon in most cases I believe has to rebuild the ligament using a ligament from somewhere else or a cadaver ligament. And once the surgical incision is closed, there's no way - well other than very unreliable x-rays, CT scans, or MRIs - to determine how well the ligament has "taken". On top of that these are all big guys were talking about, especially Bakh and Jenkins. That's a lot of weight and pressure being channeled through the knee.

Coaches always keep injury updates as limited as possible, mostly to keep a competitor guessing. We're well beyond that with Bakh and his lack of participation is a concern. But just file it with all the other things we don't control and wait for better days.
Yes. Once we lost that Divisional, my concerns with Bak were basically back shelved. We really won’t have any accurate prognosis until after July 27. We’re going to give him much needed time and even then, a likely, very gradual ramping up until week 1 regular season. I could care less about him working with the rehab group. As you said, He did have a major injury with a follow up surgery.

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can you explain realitybytez? Your comment is a little cryptic.
i was just saying that i was also going to remind folks that mlf also said that bakh was "ahead of schedule". in fact i remember that there was some talk that he might be ready by the beginning of the season. that turned out to be total bs.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i was just saying that i was also going to remind folks that mlf also said that bakh was "ahead of schedule". in fact i remember that there was some talk that he might be ready by the beginning of the season. that turned out to be total bs.
Yeah, I love it when the coaches say he is ahead of timeline but provide no estimate for when he'll return. Doublespeak.

MadScientist

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I love it when the coaches say he is ahead of timeline but provide no estimate for when he'll return. Doublespeak.
It's that time of year. The rookies are looking like contributed and future stars, last year's disappointments are in the best shape of their life and really looking to make a statement, and the injured are all ahead in their recovery. Such a wonderful time, pitty it doesn't last.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's that time of year. The rookies are looking like contributed and future stars, last year's disappointments are in the best shape of their life and really looking to make a statement, and the injured are all ahead in their recovery. Such a wonderful time, pitty it doesn't last.
That sounds like the list they give every coach. All the draftees are the next great thing at their position. Sammy Watkins has been reborn. Play the game and we'll be the judge. And I don't mean pre-season!

Reaction score
That sounds like the list they give every coach. All the draftees are the next great thing at their position. Sammy Watkins has been reborn. Play the game and we'll be the judge. And I don't mean pre-season!
Faster than a speeding bullet…more powerful than a locomotive.. able to leap tall buildings with a single bound!
better…
Faster
stronger

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

A Daniel Boone Big Man!

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Faster than a speeding bullet…more powerful than a locomotive.. able to leap tall buildings with a single bound!
better…
Faster
stronger

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

A Daniel Boone Big Man!
Yep, that's what ALL the rookies and FAs are like on EVERY team. GMs don't make mistakes. Do they? I'd better not go there...

D

Deleted member 6794

In addition. Not every NFL player suddenly goes into an 18 month recovery cycle basket with ongoing question marks. Just because 1 guy had a setback doesn’t mean Jenkins and Tonyan and Khylin’s are all going to follow David’s path. That’s why there is a recovery timetable formed from the mean average of the bulk of players. David’s is much longer than average, but let’s be cognizant that we likely proceed with prudence because he’s one of our best assets.

The only point I was trying to make is that there's no reason to put any stock into a player reportedly being ahead of schedule in his recovery at this point in the offseason.

I don't advocate for anyone to be pessimistic about a player's recovery though.

Reaction score
The only point I was trying to make is that there's no reason to put any stock into a player reportedly being ahead of schedule in his recovery at this point in the offseason.

Fair enough. Don’t be positive and don’t be negative and don’t crack a smile! :whistling:
People ask questions because we want to know. Sometimes you can read between the lines of their responses to inquiries of injury status.

I disagree with an earlier post insinuation (I don’t think it was you) that every Player is deemed “ahead of schedule” when asked about their recovery. I generally hear more the player is “on schedule” over that earlier remark.

We obviously all want the best for Tonyan, he’s been a formidable RedZone target and in a season where we’d kinda like some questions answered about who picks up the WR slack, he’s right in that conversation. My guess is we should have some questions answered as to his status before September ball.

Last edited:

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Agreed. Everyone dealing with an injury is ahead of schedule or on schedule. Really, pretty meaningless coach speak for the media and fans.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts