Random thoughts on Favre, free agency

Andy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's a interesting story about Brett and possible acquisitions by the Pack.

Packer Report.com

Random thoughts on Favre, free agency

By Bob Fox
[email protected]
Posted Mar 1, 2008

Look for Favre to announce return; Williams trade; players on Packers' radar; trading for Taylor

Will he or won't he?

Some have speculated that the world is heading towards Armageddon with events that have transpired the last several years. Some Green Bay fans thought that their own Packer world was ending on Thursday, when a bogus retirement story on Brett Favre was posted on the Packers own web site. The headline was 'Favre to Retire.' It turned out to be a mistake that caused quite a bit of anxiety throughout Packer Nation.

The announcement was pulled off the web site in a manner of minutes. As team spokesman Jeff Blumb explained, "As most media outlets have done, Packers.com each year prepares its Web site to handle the traffic in case Brett Favre does retire," Blumb said in an e-mail. "The URL for this 'Breaking News' page, which also was used last year when Brett announced his return, was accidentally posted as live, when it should have been disabled until needed, if needed at all."

The story was shocking to say the least, especially since team President Mark Murphy had said Wednesday that he expected Favre to announce that he will return, and perhaps before the end of the week. General Manager Ted Thompson also chimed in on the subject.

"Obviously, it caused a lot of consternation and angst for our fans," Thompson said. "But there's nothing there. We'll look into it and see how it happened and make sure it doesn't happen again."

Favre is expected to make a decision next week, based on a source close to the Mississippi gunslinger. There has been some speculation in some NFL circles that Favre will indeed retire. But I don't see that happening. Yes, I'm sure that loss to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship game still stings. But Favre still loves the game. Favre still loves the players that compete with him like Donald Driver and Greg Jennings. But most importantly, Favre can still play, and play very well.

Favre was named the starting QB for the NFC this past year. The 2007 season was the best season for Favre in many years and in many respects. Under head coach Mike McCarthy, Favre has obviously improved. His completion percentage of 66.5 was the best of his career. His seven 300-yard passing games tied a career high, and his 4,155 passing yards (third-best of his career), 95.7 passer rating (third), 15 interceptions (tied 4 third) and 356 completions (fourth) were among the best marks of his 17-year career.

I'll bet the NFC North opponents were wishing that Favre indeed retired on Thursday. Favre is 22-10 against the Chicago Bears. Favre is 23-9 against the Detroit Lions. Favre is 17-14 against the Minnesota Vikings. The Bears have started 20 quarterbacks since Favre started his unbelievable starting streak (253 games, 275 including playoffs) on Sept. 27, 1992. The Lions have started 15 different QBs. The Vikings have used 12 different signal callers.

I think Favre will return. And he should. The Packers came within a whisker of getting to the Super Bowl in January. The team is young and getting better. Thompson will improve the team even more in the draft and free agency. Plus, Favre can still get the job done, and done very effectively. The arm strength is still there. Favre is less mobile as he was in the past, but still has the ability to escape a pass rush. And I think the desire is still there as well.

Free agency and other possible moves

The first move the Packers made in free agency was trading DT Corey Williams to the Cleveland Browns for a second round draft choice. The Packers now have three picks in the first two rounds. The team will chose 30th, 56th and 60th.

Thompson now has the ammunition to move up in the first round if he sees a player that he is high on selecting. The Packers deemed Williams expendable with the depth at defensive tackle. Depth like Ryan Pickett, Justin Harrell, Johnny Jolly, Colin Cole and Daniel Muir. Plus, Cullen Jenkins can also slide in there from DE.

The Packers also signed their first free agent, OT Joe Toledo. Toledo was a fourth round pick of the Miami Dolphins in 2006, but hasn't seen the field due to injuries. Like a lot of offensive linemen with the Packers, Toledo is very versatile, as he can also play guard. Toledo is 6-5 and 325 pounds and played his college ball at Washington.

The Packers also are supposedly interested in a couple of more free agents. One is DE Corey Smith of the Lions, who is expected to make a visit to the Packers early next week. Smith is a reserve DE, but did start two games for the Lions and had two and a half sacks, plus three forced fumbles. McCarthy knows Smith from his days in San Francisco as Smith was with the Niners in 2005-2006.

The Packers are also interested in LB Brandon Chillar of the St. Louis Rams. According to one of his agents, the Packers were one of several teams who called expressing interest in the 6-foot-3, 242-pound Chillar, who some scouts think heads the second tier of free-agent linebackers behind Chicago's Lance Briggs and Arizona's Calvin Pace.

Chillar, who had 85 tackles, 2½ sacks, 4 passes knocked down and three forced fumbles in 15 games - 14 of them starts - fits what the Packers seek in a strong-side linebacker. He has size and explosiveness for playing the run and decent short-area speed for covering tight ends.

Chillar would provide competition for Brady Poppinga. The only real depth the Packers have at LB right now is Desmond Bishop, and he is more of an inside linebacker. Chiller is visiting another team on Monday and then will make a decision on whether he will go to Green Bay for a visit.

Some rumors swirling in Green Bay have the Packers talking to the Dolphins about trading for DE Jason Taylor. Do I think it's possible? Perhaps. Ron Wolf would be a perfect mediator between his protege Thompson and his good friend Bill Parcells. Parcells is trying to get the Dolphins younger and just recently released LB Zack Thomas.

Taylor has 117 career sacks, including 77.5 the past six seasons. The move would be similar to the move Wolf made when he acquired Reggie White in free agency in 1993. Imagine Taylor and Aaron Kampman as bookends on the Packers defensive line. Jenkins could be a 'tweener and slide between DT and DE in the rotation. If a move to acquire Taylor is made, then Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila would need to take a pay cut or possibly be released.

What would the price be to acquire Taylor? Taylor will be 34 years old on Sept. 1. I think it would probably take a third or a fourth round draft choice to make a deal. Or perhaps a couple of draft choices, like maybe a fourth and a seventh. If Wolf helps out in the negotiations, then the price may not be too severe. Besides, Thompson is pretty shrewd. Just take a look at the recent Williams deal with the Browns.

Finally, I think the Packers might look at another free agent that hasn't gotten much play in Green Bay or nationally. That would be RB Derrick Ward of the Giants. When the Packers made the trade for Ryan Grant with the Giants in the 2007 pre-season, one of the players the team inquired about was Ward. The coaching staff must feel that he can play in their system. Ward made five starts for the Giants and had 602 yards rushing, plus caught 26 passes and had 4 total touchdowns.

A move like that could re-unite Ward and Grant. Ward is a big back as well at 5-11 and 228 pounds, and is only 27 years old. Time will tell, but the Packers should make sure that their offensive backfield will have plenty of depth. Free agency can provide that. The draft can provide that. Thompson knows that a few key acquisitions can get the team to the Big Dance they barely missed this season ... the Super Bowl.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we lose KGB, then I'd take Taylor. He might be old, but take him out of a bad system and give him a change of scenary and it might be all he needs. After the season we had last year, I can kind of feel a "win now" attitude. Not that TT isn't still building for the future, but that the future he planned for arrived earlier than expected. Kampman and Taylor on the ends sounds pretty good to me.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we lose KGB, then I'd take Taylor. He might be old, but take him out of a bad system and give him a change of scenary and it might be all he needs. After the season we had last year, I can kind of feel a "win now" attitude. Not that TT isn't still building for the future, but that the future he planned for arrived earlier than expected. Kampman and Taylor on the ends sounds pretty good to me.

he's a bit old, but look at his body. look at how he keeps himself in top physical condition. I'd jump at the chance to have him! I can't see us keeping KGB on the roster if we don land Taylor, though. oh well, it's a business.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our linebackers a lot, but there isn't one that is premeir at their position. Barnett has speed and toughness, but he doens't always play smart. Hawk hasn't played up to his draft status yet. Poppinga has been solid, but not spectacular. Our needs are 1) offensive lineman, 2) back up corner, then linebacker. But if someone falls in your lap that can play and make your team better then you take him. The one thing we know, Thompson won't pay a guy more than he's worth. It's just not going to happen. That guy has the ability to stay focused on his plan, and whether we agree with him or not, it won't change his mind.

Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand why people would say Wolf is someone that could assure the Packers get fair value... um how exactly?

Wolf retired. He said he doesn't follow up with the NFL a whole lot anymore. Ted and Bill are both proud men, they aren't going to go seek Ron's help in contacting the other person.

Do you really think Ron is going to go to Ted and say 'Gosh Ted, I think you need to offer more to get Taylor'? Will that really change Ted's mind? I don't think so. Same thing with Parcells, Ron going 'Gee Bill, I think thats too much to ask for Taylor' isn't going to squat to get Bill to lower his price.

If a deal is to be made it will be made on the grounds of the Packers wanting to get Taylor and the Fins wanting to dump him. Not because of Ron Wolf serving as a go between, between the two teams.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like our linebackers a lot, but there isn't one that is premeir at their position. Barnett has speed and toughness, but he doens't always play smart. Hawk hasn't played up to his draft status yet. Poppinga has been solid, but not spectacular. Our needs are 1) offensive lineman, 2) back up corner, then linebacker. But if someone falls in your lap that can play and make your team better then you take him. The one thing we know, Thompson won't pay a guy more than he's worth. It's just not going to happen. That guy has the ability to stay focused on his plan, and whether we agree with him or not, it won't change his mind.

Agree 100% on your take of Thompson. Some of the best deals are the ones that aren't made. It's hard as fans to realize this but he's kept this team on the path towards success from the beginning. It isn't flashy or exciting, but it's effective. Look at the transformation over this 3 year span. The talent level across the board has been increased dramatically and now we sit in a position to take players based on best player available rather than need. The future looks very promising for this club now and post-Favre in my opinion.

irishpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dublin, Ireland, E.U., Earth, Milky Way, Universe,
Does no one else think Brett is a completely selfish ******* for doing what his is doing... again! I mean, we all know the sun shines out his *** but he is doing nothing but harm the the Packers football team.

Why cant he make his mind up so McCarthy can start working on next season?

I think Favre's amazing, he will mostly likely be president in about 20 years, but he is acting like a spoilt child during the offseason. He should think of the people around him that are waiting for answers, anyone else would be cut!

Toronto_Cheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does no one else think Brett is a completely selfish ******* for doing what his is doing... again! I mean, we all know the sun shines out his *** but he is doing nothing but harm the the Packers football team.

I think Favre's amazing, he will mostly likely be president in about 20 years, but he is acting like a spoilt child during the offseason. He should think of the people around him that are waiting for answers, anyone else would be cut!

Didn't Strahan show up in Giants training camp like a week before the regular season? Favre isn't the only Hall of Famer that has done this. If he comes back, great, but if he doesn't, the team has a backup plan with Rodgers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't think he's selfish. Would you rather have him make a premature decision, and just walk away? Without fully thinking it through? Would that make you happier?
Yes, i want to know too. But i don't think it's hurting the team at all. My feeling is that he has already told the people that matter what he is planning, and an "official" posting of this has not been made yet.
Either way, we either have him or Rodgers as our starting QB.

irishpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's a pretty big difference! And it could dramatically change McCarthy's plans, aswell as send a shockwave around the changing rooms. I mean, there is not alot of experience or leadership in key positions in Green Bay. Who would be captain? Chad Clifton? Charles Woodson? Harldly inspiring.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

That's a pretty big difference! And it could dramatically change McCarthy's plans, aswell as send a shockwave around the changing rooms. I mean, there is not alot of experience or leadership in key positions in Green Bay. Who would be captain? Chad Clifton? Charles Woodson? Harldly inspiring.

Getting the C on your jersey in the NFL isn't going to make or break a team. With or without Favre the same guys will still be looked up to as leaders in the locker room. Charles Woodson being one of them from what I understand.

Aaron Rodgers should do what he did last two off seasons. Prepare like he is going to be the starting QB for the Green Bay Packers.

The only thing I can understand with the whole Favre needs to make a decision fast argument is free agents. It's hard to sign a guy like Jason Taylor or Randy Moss (just examples) when they don't know if Favre or Rodgers is going to be the QB. We know Rodgers can probably come in and do decent enough for the Pack to compete in the division. However, they don't which makes things different.

Though since Thompson doesn't use free agency much so in the end it's really not a huge deal in my opinion at least.

irishpacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is the end of an era all the same if he does quit... I mean all things aside, Its hard to think of a single player in "any" sport who has had such an aura surrounding them like Brett has. He is almost unique, I mean who can you compare him to in modern sports?

Perhaps Keith Wood or Sean Fitzpatrick in Rugby, Zinedine Zidane or Paulo Maldini in football, Mario Lemeiux in Ice Hockey, Micheal Jordan in Basketball.... the kind of men you would go to hell and back for... complete confidence in their leadership and descisions. Favres name will become legend.

It will have a HUGE mental effect on the team, and the packers.

Not just the team, but fans too. The only QB I've ever known for Green bay is Favre. Favre is Green Bay... it will be strange without him.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts